Got my Jupiter 21m 200mm f/4 lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
    mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
    and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

    Funnily, the customs department sent me a notice regarding the used
    Sirius 28mm f/2.8 M42 mount lens I bought off eBay for GBP2.99 and let
    the Jupiter thru without any hassles!! The ways of the government are
    definitely mysterious :)

    The Jupiter is well built, focus ring is smooth and has a built-in
    hood. Turning the aperture ring rattles the innards of the lens a bit
    making a clunk sound but for $45 who's complaining :)

    Although I don't have any other lens in the 200mm range to compare it
    with but took some test shots with my Canon 300D of Norman Koren's test
    charts and the lens seems usable from f/5.6 onwards. Maybe I will post
    some comparison shots when I receive my Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DO Macro
    II next month.

    Looking forward to lugging it to the short three day vacation I am off
    to this weekend.

    One thing that's niggling me though is that is the Canon 300D mount
    strong enough to take this 1kg weight because the lens has no tripod
    collar? Can I get one third-party tripod collar for it?
    Thanks,

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    adm Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
    > mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
    > and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

    They have some cool looking stuff - and cheap as hell too.

    Anyone ever used one of these:

    http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/rubinar_1000_lens.htm

    I was thinking for some moon pictures......

    I wonder if it will work with a D70.

    1000mm x 1.5 crop factor....wow.
    adm, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Sheldon Guest

    Just remember that when you use slow shutter speed everything is moving (the
    Earth and the Moon). If you are really into astronomy you might want to get
    a motorized base that they use for telescopes.

    Sheldon, Jan 20, 2005