Got My HTC Desire

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. Got my first mobile phone today. Well, if I’m going to be doing Android
    development, I figure I need a phone to do proper testing on. Decided the
    catalogues for the local retailers didn’t look very appealing, so went on
    line, and found mobicity.co.nz (actually seems to be Australian-based).
    Decided the Desire was a suitable combination of useful features at not too
    great a price. The phone arrived after four days.

    Couldn’t wait for it to fully charge, so started messing about with it while
    it was connected to the mains. Worked for a while, and then started
    misbehaving: ignoring my touches, or seemingly registering phantom touches
    in the wrong places.

    Finally gave up and got on the online chat to Mobicity to ask for help. By
    this time the phone had been on the charger for a couple of hours, so I took
    it off and sat with it in front of my PC.

    And would you believe, it worked fine. Anyway, their support guy was nice
    enough to call me and explain to me that it’s a known issue, when the phone
    is on the charger, the touchscreen gets confused by voltage differences or
    something, and won’t work right. Moral: don’t try to use it while it’s
    charging.

    Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    Anyway, back to playing with my new toy. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Got my first mobile phone today. Well, if I’m going to be doing Android
    > development, I figure I need a phone to do proper testing on. Decided the
    > catalogues for the local retailers didn’t look very appealing, so went on
    > line, and found mobicity.co.nz (actually seems to be Australian-based).
    > Decided the Desire was a suitable combination of useful features at not
    > too great a price. The phone arrived after four days.
    >
    > Couldn’t wait for it to fully charge, so started messing about with it
    > while it was connected to the mains. Worked for a while, and then started
    > misbehaving: ignoring my touches, or seemingly registering phantom touches
    > in the wrong places.
    >
    > Finally gave up and got on the online chat to Mobicity to ask for help. By
    > this time the phone had been on the charger for a couple of hours, so I
    > took it off and sat with it in front of my PC.
    >
    > And would you believe, it worked fine. Anyway, their support guy was nice
    > enough to call me and explain to me that it’s a known issue, when the
    > phone is on the charger, the touchscreen gets confused by voltage
    > differences or something, and won’t work right. Moral: don’t try to use it
    > while it’s charging.
    >
    > Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

    Peter, Feb 25, 2011

  3. In message <4d67306f$>, Peter wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    > Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

    Interesting, because the Google-branded phones are made by HTC.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    trueone Guest

    > In message <4d67306f$>, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    >> Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

    > Interesting, because the Google-branded phones are made by HTC.

    I dont have that problem on my HTC Desire HD either

    trueone, Feb 25, 2011
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    Nope. But HTC is a low cost manufacturer, so they could be using
    cheaper components.

    Another Me, Feb 25, 2011
  6. In message <4d67306f$>, Peter wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    > Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

    I have it currently plugged into my PC via USB, and the light indicates it’s
    charging. But the touchscreen works fine.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2011
  7. Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web browser
    (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card, then use a URL
    beginning “file://sdcard/...â€. You have to put in the full pathname, it
    doesn’t seem to have any directory-browing ability.

    Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if I’m not
    sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used QuickOffice to
    open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had copied to there from
    LibreOffice Writer.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 26, 2011
  8. I just noticed that the charger has “BlackBerryâ„¢ Research In Motion Limitedâ€
    written on it. Some mixup at the depot?

    Seemed to plug in and charge OK, though. I guess that proves the era of
    universal chargers has actually arrived. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 26, 2011
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    > Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
    > browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
    > then use a URL beginning “file://sdcard/...â€. You have to put in the
    > full pathname, it doesn’t seem to have any directory-browsing
    > ability.

    Chrome does, out of the box. Whatever stripped down version of Chrome
    you have may not, of course. What happens when you connect the phone to
    a proper computer via USB or whatever? That should let you browse
    directories.

    > Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
    > I’m not sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used
    > QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
    > copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.

    You are opening Word documents on a phone? That's sad, really sad.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Feb 26, 2011
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 27/02/11 00:07, Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:40:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
    >> browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
    >> then use a URL beginning “file://sdcard/...”. You have to put in
    >> the full pathname, it doesn’t seem to have any directory-browing
    >> ability.
    >>
    >> Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
    >> I’m not sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used
    >> QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
    >> copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.

    > Why not Try Opera Mobile, its the Top Mobile version in use.
    >
    > http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/

    Just because more people use doesn't mean that it is anything but crap,
    like the full version.

    Enkidu, Feb 26, 2011
  11. Been testing the on-board media capabilities. Copied a hi-def (1280x720,
    23.98fps) video downloaded straight off YouTube onto the SD card, and its
    built-in video player found it and played it just fine. I also tried copying
    a WAV file (can’t be bothered making MP3s from my rips), and I was able to
    play that too.

    I contrast the resolution and frame-rate conversions I had to go through
    with video files to get them to play on my mother’s Ipod Touch. Also I think
    it was chopping off the sides of the widescreen video. This one has a wider
    screen, so in landscape mode there is only a slight amount chopped off at
    the sides.

    At least the Ipod could manage WAV files...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 27, 2011
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    > I contrast the resolution and frame-rate conversions I had to go through
    > with video files to get them to play on my mother’s Ipod Touch. Also I think
    > it was chopping off the sides of the widescreen video. This one has a wider
    > screen, so in landscape mode there is only a slight amount chopped off at
    > the sides.

    You had issues getting videos on to an iPod touch?

    I used Handbrake and on the one Universal setting the video file plays
    fine on the PS3, AppleTV, iPod touch, iPod classic, LG Optimus etc etc

    Another Me, Feb 27, 2011
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

    Depends on the charger. I get it on my galaxy when using a cheap-ass USB
    charger and USB cable, its fine on the supplied one and charging off the
    computer.

    Richard, Feb 27, 2011
  14. In message <ikc6r5$n80$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Been testing the on-board media capabilities. Copied a hi-def (1280x720,
    > 23.98fps) video downloaded straight off YouTube onto the SD card, and its
    > built-in video player found it and played it just fine.

    Hmm, the video player wouldn’t look at .flv files. But it was easy enough to
    repackage them as .mp4 without reencoding either the audio or video, and
    then it played them OK.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 27, 2011
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    > Been testing the on-board media capabilities. Copied a hi-def
    > (1280x720, 23.98fps) video downloaded straight off YouTube onto the
    > SD card, and its built-in video player found it and played it just
    > fine. I also tried copying a WAV file (can’t be bothered making MP3s
    > from my rips), and I was able to play that too.

    Heheheheheh! You watch videos on your phone? Heheheheheheheh!

    Enkidu, Feb 27, 2011
  16. I tried reading a PDF file, a copy of Charles Stross’s novel “Accelerandoâ€.
    The pages are about A5 size (paperback, I suppose). I shrink them down to
    fit the width of the screen, and I can still read nearly all of the text
    just fine.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 27, 2011
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 28/02/11 08:49, Robert Cooze wrote:
    > On 27/02/11 12:14, Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 26/02/11 22:40, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
    >>> browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
    >>> then use a URL beginning “file://sdcard/...â€. You have to put in the
    >>> full pathname, it doesn’t seem to have any directory-browsing
    >>> ability.
    >> >

    >> Chrome does, out of the box. Whatever stripped down version of Chrome
    >> you have may not, of course. What happens when you connect the phone to
    >> a proper computer via USB or whatever? That should let you browse
    >> directories.
    >> >
    >>> Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
    >>> I’m not sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used
    >>> QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
    >>> copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.
    >>>

    >> You are opening Word documents on a phone? That's sad, really sad.

    > With some of the people I deal with the email the word document as the
    > email. Common practice amounts lawyers and such, the use the email as an
    > envelope so all they store is the original word file as the copy.

    So? Why read it on the phone? It's laughable. I suppose you have some
    ludicrous justification like "they need an instant reply"? What did they
    do before smartphones? Or, for that matter, before the Internet?

    Enkidu, Feb 27, 2011
  18. One nice thing is, it’s fast to charge. When I first got it, the
    instructions said to leave it on the charger for three hours. But the
    battery level was showing close to full after about two.

    Compare that to the cordless I got a few days earlier, which said to leave
    it to charge for at least 15 hours before trying to use it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 27, 2011
  19. On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:16:07 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 27/02/11 00:07, Suzie Wong wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:40:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
    >>> browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
    >>> then use a URL beginning “file://sdcard/...”. You have to put in
    >>> the full pathname, it doesn’t seem to have any directory-browing
    >>> ability.
    >>>
    >>> Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
    >>> I’m not sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used
    >>> QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
    >>> copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.

    >> Why not Try Opera Mobile, its the Top Mobile version in use.
    >>
    >> http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/
    >>

    >Just because more people use doesn't mean that it is anything but crap,
    >like the full version.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Sorry but you cant seem to Read that Opera is now one of the Very best,
    Even Sony is fitting it to there TV's

    And the Top one for Cell Phone use, so to me you are Totally Wrong.

    William Brown, Feb 28, 2011
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    On Feb 27, 7:04 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:

    > It really puts me off a product when every message opne receives from an
    > adherent has a spamfoot "Sent from my iPhone/Blackberry?linux/whatever"

    I complained to my wife, who uses a Palm, about this and she said she
    liked it because it excused the fact that the email was short, to the
    point, was in plain text, and didn't have her 36 line .sig, legal
    nonsense and corporate logo. :(

    Regards, John

    John Little, Feb 28, 2011