Got anything to say about Xtra/Orcon/Wired Country?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Philip, Oct 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Philip" <> wrote:

    >I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
    >encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
    >page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_(ISP)

    I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Philip

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
    >>encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
    >>page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_(ISP)

    > I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

    Wikipedia is ok for somewhat objective subjects, like science topics,
    but for any subject open to debate, true NPOV is as abundant on
    Wikipedia as integrity in a used car yard.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 10, 2005
  4. In article <434ac486$>,
    Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
    >>>encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
    >>>page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
    >>>
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_(ISP)

    >> I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

    >Wikipedia is ok for somewhat objective subjects, like science topics,
    >but for any subject open to debate, true NPOV is as abundant on
    >Wikipedia as integrity in a used car yard.

    I'm an occasional Wikipedia contributor myself. What exactly are you
    trying to suggest?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Philip

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I'm an occasional Wikipedia contributor myself. What exactly are you
    > trying to suggest?

    I'm not talking about contributors. Wikipedia contributors are a huge
    spectrum who'll offer many different points of view.

    I am talking about the clique of self-appointed editors (read: censors),
    who receive email alerts whenever articles get posted or changed, and
    can't wait to jump in and edit or remove the articles according to their
    own bias.

    I have seen at least one case where an editor insists on placing, in an
    article, content that has been proven inaccurate in public records. The
    editor has no qualification in the field, and whenever experts in the
    field attempt to restore the article's accuracy, the editor reverts away
    the change and reinstates his/her inaccuracies.

    In academic circles, Wikipedia is being increasingly discredited when
    used for anything more than a superficial first pass at research. Papers
    are increasingly being marked down if they depend too strongly on any
    wikipedia content.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 11, 2005
  6. In article <434c0aea$>,
    Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >I have seen at least one case where an editor insists on placing, in an
    >article, content that has been proven inaccurate in public records. The
    >editor has no qualification in the field, and whenever experts in the
    >field attempt to restore the article's accuracy, the editor reverts away
    >the change and reinstates his/her inaccuracies.

    Why not take it to the Administrators, then. That's what they're there
    for.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2005