Got a problem here

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bob H, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    Hi, a freind of mine has bought himself a Belkin 4 port wireless router
    and modem and he can't get it going, and to be honest neither can I yet.
    The routers leds are all lit, and everything is connetced where it
    should be, but its a no go. The installation CD which came with the
    router does not have any setup or driver files on it, only an Acrobat
    instruction file.
    Also in the WinXP networking box, there 2 adapters, one is an onboard
    Realtek NIC, and the other is a 1394 adapter which I found out is a
    firewire adapter. The Realtek nic is shown as unplugged, but it is not,
    except it maybe in the wrong socket for the 1395 adapter, but as I could
    only see one I am sure it is in the right one.

    Any ideas please?

    Thanks
    --


    Bob H
    Leeds UK
     
    Bob H, Jun 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bob H

    Malke Guest

    Bob H wrote:

    > Hi, a freind of mine has bought himself a Belkin 4 port wireless
    > router and modem and he can't get it going, and to be honest neither
    > can I yet. The routers leds are all lit, and everything is connetced
    > where it should be, but its a no go. The installation CD which came
    > with the router does not have any setup or driver files on it, only an
    > Acrobat instruction file.
    > Also in the WinXP networking box, there 2 adapters, one is an onboard
    > Realtek NIC, and the other is a 1394 adapter which I found out is a
    > firewire adapter. The Realtek nic is shown as unplugged, but it is
    > not, except it maybe in the wrong socket for the 1395 adapter, but as
    > I could only see one I am sure it is in the right one.
    >


    Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
    the place.

    1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
    installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and several
    instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick Start
    manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start manual
    and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a Belkin
    retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary items are
    missing, he should return it.

    2. By "WinXP networking box" I am guessing that you mean the Network
    properties. The Realtek nic is the ethernet adapter. If it is showing
    as unplugged, then it is not connected properly to anything. An
    ethernet cable cannot possibly fit into a fireware connection. You
    should just forget the firewire connection for now - it has nothing to
    do with what you are trying to do.

    3. If you did not follow the Belkin Quick Start installation
    instructions and just sort of plugged stuff in, unplug everything and
    start over. This time follow the directions. Installing a Belkin
    wireless router takes only a few minutes if done per their installation
    routine.

    Post back with clear details about the router if you need more help. You
    also left out the information about your friend's Internet connection,
    which we will need; e.g., whether he has cable or dsl, who the ISP is,
    and what the make/model of the cable/dsl modem is.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Jun 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bob H

    Trev Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:50:18 -0700, Malke <>
    wrote:

    >Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
    >the place.
    >
    >1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
    >installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and several
    >instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick Start
    >manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start manual
    >and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a Belkin
    >retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary items are
    >missing, he should return it.


    I bought two of these last week and there was no installation CD. Just
    the pdf manual as the op says.
    --

    Trev (Milnrow, UK)
     
    Trev, Jul 27, 2005
    #3
  4. Bob H

    Malke Guest

    Trev wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:50:18 -0700, Malke <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
    >>the place.
    >>
    >>1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
    >>installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and
    >>several instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick
    >>Start manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start
    >>manual and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a
    >>Belkin retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary
    >>items are missing, he should return it.

    >
    > I bought two of these last week and there was no installation CD. Just
    > the pdf manual as the op says.


    Then he (and you is necessary) should contact Belkin or go to their
    website and see if the software is available for download.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Jul 27, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. OM
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    490
    Mark Adamson
    Sep 27, 2005
  2. here is what I got, gotta go faster

    , Nov 6, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    408
    Dan Evans
    Nov 7, 2005
  3. philo

    Winter finally got here...

    philo, Nov 18, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    422
    Toolman Tim
    Nov 19, 2005
  4. Cory's News

    anybody got Max here

    Cory's News, Jan 22, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    Cory's News
    Jan 22, 2006
  5. Got Any SCAMS? Through them here

    , Oct 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    454
    beenthere
    Oct 2, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page