    So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!

    I am going to have to get rid of it.
    It is just too intrusive.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Apr 2, 2008

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    Wilson Guest

    sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
    > I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
    > 'security stuff' on my machine.
    > Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
    > stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
    > (see main security policy).
    >
    > I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
    > basically it said "we will send out every thing we
    > know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
    > ditch the old stuff when I can.
    >
    > Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
    > would not take no for an answer!!!
    >
    > So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
    >
    > I am going to have to get rid of it.
    > It is just too intrusive.

    I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute
    person mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less
    ads. Check out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
    They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing
    it now.

    --
    Wilson N45 W67
    Wilson, Apr 2, 2008

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    Fred Guest

    Wilson wrote:
    > sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
    >> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
    >> 'security stuff' on my machine.
    >> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
    >> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
    >> (see main security policy).
    >>
    >> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
    >> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
    >> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
    >> ditch the old stuff when I can.
    >>
    >> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
    >> would not take no for an answer!!!
    >>
    >> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
    >>
    >> I am going to have to get rid of it.
    >> It is just too intrusive.
    >>

    > I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
    > mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check
    > out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
    > They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing it now.

    Also have a look at "scroogle scraper".
    Fred, Apr 2, 2008
  4. Lord Turkey Cough

    Sn!pe Guest

    Wilson <> wrote:

    > > I am going to have to get rid of it.
    > > It is just too intrusive.
    > >

    > I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute
    > person mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less
    > ads. Check out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
    > They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing
    > it now.

    Scroogle (Google scraper) <http://scroogle.org/>
    There's a plug-in for your browser, too.

    --
    ^Ï^ Sn!pe <>

    ---{ WOTD: abstruse }---
    Sn!pe, Apr 2, 2008
  5. "Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
    >> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
    >> 'security stuff' on my machine.
    >> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
    >> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
    >> (see main security policy).
    >>
    >> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
    >> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
    >> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
    >> ditch the old stuff when I can.
    >>
    >> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
    >> would not take no for an answer!!!
    >>
    >> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
    >>
    >> I am going to have to get rid of it.
    >> It is just too intrusive.

    > I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
    > mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check out
    > their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
    > They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing it now.

    Well I might still use google, bt not the tool bar.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Apr 2, 2008
  6. "Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
    >> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
    >> 'security stuff' on my machine.
    >> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
    >> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
    >> (see main security policy).
    >>
    >> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
    >> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
    >> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
    >> ditch the old stuff when I can.
    >>
    >> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
    >> would not take no for an answer!!!
    >>
    >> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
    >>
    >> I am going to have to get rid of it.
    >> It is just too intrusive.

    > I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
    > mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check out
    > their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy

    Hmmm......

    It says a few things but it does not say "We don't collect personally
    identifiable information". Which it could say if it were true.

    "No personally identifiable information is ever *required* by Clusty."

    Note the use of the word required, it could say collected here, but it is
    careful to avoid that word, because obviously it knows that would be
    untrue!!

    "Clusty is *intended* to be an anonymous service. "

    Note the use of the word *intended*
    It could say "Clusty is an anonymous service", but
    it avoids that statement, presumable because it is untrue.

    "Clusty is *intended* to be an anonymous service. "

    Translates to:- "Clusty is not an anonymous service." in my book.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Apr 2, 2008
  7. Yeah but Jayzizz, this argument was already won and lost thirty years
    ago, when we all had to face the fact that The Boys up at Menwith Hill
    are monitoring our every move whenever they want to, without any need
    for a 'court order' or anything like that, and supplying details of
    our private telephone calls to the cops and to Daily Mail journalists
    at will.

    I have personal experience of Melanie Phillips of the Daily Mail
    knowing all about my private telephone calls, courtesy of The Boys up
    at Menwith Hill, because I dared to criticise a Daily Mail
    journalist.

    And yet we have this bizarre *fake debate* about 'data protection
    laws' and 'privacy laws'........ such a joke, when The Boys up at
    Menwith Hill are monitoring your every move and have been doing so for
    the past forty years.

    Arthur Scargill found out about The Boys up at Menwith Hill during the
    miners' strike of the early 1980s.

    Thank God the present civilisation is coming to an end soon.

    -Pete Newman, North Yorkshire
    Old Jinglebollocks, Apr 2, 2008