    1. Advertising

  2. JC

    PseUDO Guest

    PseUDO, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Steve Marshall, Jun 29, 2005
  4. JC

    Alameda Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    news:42c21e4b$...
    > JC wrote:
    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html
    >>

    > Very impressive, covers NZ as well, big brother is watching!!.

    It doesn't go far enough. We need satellite real-time coverage, and what's
    with the lack of restaurants in Ohakune? That feature is absolutely useless.
    And also, how hard could it be to combine a basic street map and white /
    yellow pages and superimpose all that info on this GPS and therefore it
    would actually have practical purposes. At the moment it's titilating but in
    all honesty it's not very practical. And some of the imagery is very blurry.

    Alameda, Jun 29, 2005
  5. JC

    Allistar Guest

    JC wrote:

    > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 29, 2005
  6. JC

    PAM. Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    > order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.

    I hadn't thought of it as a tax before. Interesting.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 29, 2005
  7. In article <qLDwe.11307$>, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >"Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    >> They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    >> order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.

    >I hadn't thought of it as a tax before. Interesting.

    Of course it is ... stupid tax :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 29, 2005
  8. JC

    PAM. Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message
    > Of course it is ... stupid tax :)

    Yes....and no. Of all the windows OS I've used, I've only bought one. Win95,
    which came with the laptop.
    All the others (Win98, 2000, ME, XP) I have managed to aquire one way or
    another (mainly as a work thing) without any taxation. :)

    Seeing as I use Linux now, that I paid for (Yikes), the same thing could
    also be said for that.. However this was a BARGAIN. A 1 off fee of US$100
    for a lifetime of updates/fixes/ease of use.

    Long may it Reign.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 30, 2005
  9. JC

    Harry Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    > in message
    >> Of course it is ... stupid tax :)

    > Yes....and no. Of all the windows OS I've used, I've only bought one.
    > Win95, which came with the laptop.
    > All the others (Win98, 2000, ME, XP) I have managed to aquire one way or
    > another (mainly as a work thing) without any taxation. :)
    >
    > Seeing as I use Linux now, that I paid for (Yikes), the same thing could
    > also be said for that.. However this was a BARGAIN. A 1 off fee of US$100
    > for a lifetime of updates/fixes/ease of use.
    >
    > Long may it Reign.

    Exactly. Why buy Windows at extortionist prices just so Bill Gates
    can give your money away to what *he* considers to be a worthy cause.

    If Bill Gates really wants to persue philanthropy then perhaps he
    could simply drop the price of Windows.

    Harry, Jun 30, 2005
  10. JC

    Allistar Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    >> They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    >> order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.

    > I hadn't thought of it as a tax before. Interesting.
    >
    > PAM.

    Fom the perspective that a you mutst pay for Windows to use a lot of free
    software, it is kindof likea tax. Especially if you consider some computer
    vendors charge you for it whether they install it or not.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 30, 2005
  11. JC

    Peter S Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > JC wrote:
    >
    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    > order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.
    >
    > Allistar.

    That piece of software (Google Earth) is amazing. The code behind that would
    be pretty Hi Tech. 3d buildings are pretty cool, but I like the fact that I
    can pick out the building easily that I was working in in Hong Kong
    recently.

    I won my copy of Windows XP Pro. No tax paid :)

    Peter S, Jun 30, 2005
  12. JC

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:45:09 +1200, PAM. wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    >> They say it's free but fail to mention the Microsoft tax you must pay in
    >> order to use it. I eagerly await the release of the Linux version.

    > I hadn't thought of it as a tax before. Interesting.

    Taxes, like death, is something we all experience. One does not need to
    experience MS.

    This is another case of MS getting you hooked, and the they will rip your
    wallet open.

    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  13. JC

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:11:44 +1200, Harry wrote:

    > If Bill Gates really wants to persue philanthropy then perhaps he
    > could simply drop the price of Windows.

    Or release the code, then we all could start to feel secure from the
    latest vandals.

    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  14. JC

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:06:14 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > JC wrote:
    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html
    >>

    > Very impressive, covers NZ as well, big brother is watching!!.

    FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  15. JC

    PseUDO Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:06:14 +1200, PseUDO wrote:
    >

    >>JC wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html
    >>>

    >>Very impressive, covers NZ as well, big brother is watching!!.
    >>

    > FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jun 30, 2005
  16. JC

    Robert Cooze Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:

    >>> Very impressive, covers NZ as well, big brother is watching!!.
    >>>

    >> FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    > FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.
    >
    > PseUDO

    But one of the Sputnik's did have a dog in it

    Robert Cooze, Jun 30, 2005
  17. PseUDO wrote:
    >>> Very impressive, covers NZ as well, big brother is watching!!.

    >> FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    > FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.

    you seem to know alot about this... who do you work for???

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005
  18. JC

    PseUDO Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    >> FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.

    > you seem to know alot about this... who do you work for???

    I'll be around to see you shortly with the answer, you will know it's me
    by the long trenchcoat.....:)

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jul 1, 2005
  19. JC

    Matty F Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    >> FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.

    > you seem to know alot about this... who do you work for???

    Those of us around at the time can remember that Sputnik just made
    plaintive beeping noises via radio. But that, and the tiny spot of light
    moving across the sky had a powerful effect on the world. The Yanks went
    crazy with jealousy.

    Matty F, Jul 1, 2005
  20. JC

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:13:56 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >>> FFS, in 1957 the first satalite was launched. Almost 50 years ago.

    >> FFS Sputnik didn't have a camera onboard.

    >you seem to know alot about this... who do you work for???

    You don't need to work for anybody if you can remember it.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Jul 1, 2005