    gmail.google.com

    On their page it says they have over 2500 Mb free storage and it counts
    upwards. Are they really that generous? I don't get it.

    Moojamba, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Moojamba

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Moojamba wrote in message
    <>...
    >Just where does google get all this free storage space for its users?
    >
    >gmail.google.com
    >
    >On their page it says they have over 2500 Mb free storage and it counts
    >upwards. Are they really that generous? I don't get it.

    Not everyone is going to use that much at a time, so they probably over-allocate
    their space, and add more physical drives when they need it. Suppose most
    people only use 1% of it (25MB, still way more than anyone should need, in my
    opinion) they could allocate 100 users to a single 2.5GB block. Then, as it
    started filling up, they add more physical storage space. That's how many
    hosting companies work. You're allowed to use up to a certain amount, but if
    you're not using it, it can be used by someone else until you need it.

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Moojamba

    Moojamba Guest

    Yes, but how many users I wonder do they have? Must be more than 100.
    So they keep buying and buying drives for us? How generous.

    Moojamba, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Moojamba

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Moojamba wrote in message
    <>...
    >Yes, but how many users I wonder do they have? Must be more than 100.
    >So they keep buying and buying drives for us? How generous.

    Yes but they make a lot of money off the advertising. Probably they have
    thousands of users of their ad-stuffed email service by now, it's been around a
    few years. Google might get paid a fraction of a cent every time an ad it
    displayed, more for clicks, and still more for sales that originate with Gmail
    clicks. It's usually pennies but if they have enough suckers -ahem- users doing
    it it adds up.

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Moojamba

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    2 Re: Googles email storage

    Moojamba wrote in message
    >How generous.

    Trust me. There is no such term as "generous" in the business world. (-:

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Moojamba

    Plato Guest

    Moojamba wrote:

    > Just where does google get all this free storage space for its users?
    >
    > gmail.google.com
    >
    > On their page it says they have over 2500 Mb free storage and it counts
    > upwards. Are they really that generous? I don't get it.

    All USA Citizens pay income taxes which pay for google free storage.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 9, 2006