    Does anyone know how to clear all my past search text in google
    every time i type in the box all the past history comes up.

    thanks
    lee, Oct 19, 2003

  2. lee

    Ken Smith Guest

    you've been searching for, "young nude boys" haven't you?

    Ken Smith, Oct 19, 2003

  3. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    Tools / Internet Options / General tab... 'Clear History'.
    Content tab... 'Clear forms'.

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:09:17 +0100, in
    <bmtnse$a7k$>
    lee scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  4. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Tools / Internet Options / General tab... 'Clear History'.
    > Content tab... 'Clear forms'.

    That would be correct way to clear his IE5 but he is on about the GOOGLE
    search.
    Enforcement Team, Oct 19, 2003
  5. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:40:03 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bmtt6j$jao$>
    Enforcement Team scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Tools / Internet Options / General tab... 'Clear History'.
    >> Content tab... 'Clear forms'.

    >That would be correct way to clear his IE5 but he is on about
    >the GOOGLE search.

    Clearing History and forms also clears Google searches.
    Unless you are assuming the OP is using the Google
    toolbar - which was not stated.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  6. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:40:03 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <bmtt6j$jao$>
    > Enforcement Team scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Tools / Internet Options / General tab... 'Clear History'.
    > >> Content tab... 'Clear forms'.

    > >That would be correct way to clear his IE5 but he is on about
    > >the GOOGLE search.

    A good point there Mike. I was persuming the google tool bar myself :-(
    Enforcement Team, Oct 19, 2003
  7. lee

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:09:17 +0100, "lee" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to clear all my past search text in google
    >every time i type in the box all the past history comes up.

    there are little files on your pc called index.dat .
    delete the little bastards.
    if it wont let you delete them then download "smart protector" from
    www.download.com
    , Oct 19, 2003
  8. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:08:48 +0000 (UTC), in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:09:17 +0100, "lee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know how to clear all my past search text in google
    >>every time i type in the box all the past history comes up.
    >>

    >there are little files on your pc called index.dat .
    >delete the little bastards.
    >if it wont let you delete them then download "smart protector" from
    >www.download.com

    That is not the way to clear search text. And deleting
    the index.dat files is fruitless - unless you REALLY have
    something to hide - as they are reconstructed at next
    boot. Of course, they can't be deleted whilst Windows
    is running, anyway.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  9. lee

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:18:25 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:08:48 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <>
    > scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:09:17 +0100, "lee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know how to clear all my past search text in google
    >>>every time i type in the box all the past history comes up.
    >>>

    >>there are little files on your pc called index.dat .
    >>delete the little bastards.
    >>if it wont let you delete them then download "smart protector" from
    >>www.download.com

    >That is not the way to clear search text. And deleting
    >the index.dat files is fruitless - unless you REALLY have
    >something to hide - as they are reconstructed at next
    >boot. Of course, they can't be deleted whilst Windows
    >is running, anyway.

    no they arent reconstructed. most people think deleting their
    temporary files and cookies and form cache will remove all traces from
    their machine. as a technologist i can tell them it wont.
    your boss or parent or whoever could use an index.dat viewer file and
    see exactly what youve been up to. erasing it using smartprotector or
    some other program will prevent this happening. index.dat files are
    placed there for the benefit of snoopers and everyone has the right to
    know of their existence and choose wether they want them cleaned up or
    not.
    , Oct 19, 2003
  10. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:35:40 +0000 (UTC), in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:18:25 +0100, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:08:48 +0000 (UTC), in
    >> <>
    >> scrawled:

    >>>there are little files on your pc called index.dat .
    >>>delete the little bastards.
    >>>if it wont let you delete them then download "smart protector" from
    >>>www.download.com

    >>That is not the way to clear search text. And deleting
    >>the index.dat files is fruitless - unless you REALLY have
    >>something to hide - as they are reconstructed at next
    >>boot. Of course, they can't be deleted whilst Windows
    >>is running, anyway.

    >no they arent reconstructed. most people think deleting their
    >temporary files and cookies and form cache will remove all traces from
    >their machine. as a technologist i can tell them it wont.
    >your boss or parent or whoever could use an index.dat viewer file and
    >see exactly what youve been up to. erasing it using smartprotector or
    >some other program will prevent this happening. index.dat files are
    >placed there for the benefit of snoopers and everyone has the right to
    >know of their existence and choose wether they want them cleaned up or
    >not.

    You are talking nonsense. Index.dat files are Windows/IE's
    way of keeping track (indexing) such things as temporary
    internet files, cookies, history etc. Without them, it has no
    way of knowing what to display, where and when.

    And for you to say they don't get reconstructed is just simply
    not true. You sound like just another scaremonger.

    As a technologist, you know Jack Schitt about index.dat files.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  11. lee

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:40:34 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:35:40 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <>
    > scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:18:25 +0100, °Mike°
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:08:48 +0000 (UTC), in
    >>> <>
    >>> scrawled:

    >>>That is not the way to clear search text. And deleting
    >>>the index.dat files is fruitless - unless you REALLY have
    >>>something to hide - as they are reconstructed at next
    >>>boot. Of course, they can't be deleted whilst Windows
    >>>is running, anyway.

    >>no they arent reconstructed. most people think deleting their
    >>temporary files and cookies and form cache will remove all traces from
    >>their machine. as a technologist i can tell them it wont.
    >>your boss or parent or whoever could use an index.dat viewer file and
    >>see exactly what youve been up to. erasing it using smartprotector or
    >>some other program will prevent this happening. index.dat files are
    >>placed there for the benefit of snoopers and everyone has the right to
    >>know of their existence and choose wether they want them cleaned up or
    >>not.

    >You are talking nonsense. Index.dat files are Windows/IE's
    >way of keeping track (indexing) such things as temporary
    >internet files, cookies, history etc. Without them, it has no
    >way of knowing what to display, where and when.
    >
    >And for you to say they don't get reconstructed is just simply
    >not true. You sound like just another scaremonger.
    >
    >As a technologist, you know Jack Schitt about index.dat files.

    i think you misunderstood what i meant. they do of course get
    re-created with new data. but lets say you have been using google to
    search for FAQs on hacking computers and then decide you had better
    get rid of this evidence just in case. or maybe you were looking for
    info on how to pick locks or whatever. deleting all your IE stuff wont
    get rid of that info from your index.dat
    however using smart protector you can erase that stuff and then the
    files will be re-created with whatever new stuff you search for .
    index.dat files can easily be deleted by anyone with a bit of
    technical nous even on NTFS file systems.
    suer they are re-created but not with the stuff you were trying to
    hide.
    HTH
    , Oct 19, 2003
  12. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:28:26 +0000 (UTC), in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:40:34 +0100, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:35:40 +0000 (UTC), in
    >> <>
    >> scrawled:

    >>>no they arent reconstructed. most people think deleting their
    >>>temporary files and cookies and form cache will remove all traces from
    >>>their machine. as a technologist i can tell them it wont.
    >>>your boss or parent or whoever could use an index.dat viewer file and
    >>>see exactly what youve been up to. erasing it using smartprotector or
    >>>some other program will prevent this happening. index.dat files are
    >>>placed there for the benefit of snoopers and everyone has the right to
    >>>know of their existence and choose wether they want them cleaned up or
    >>>not.

    >>You are talking nonsense. Index.dat files are Windows/IE's
    >>way of keeping track (indexing) such things as temporary
    >>internet files, cookies, history etc. Without them, it has no
    >>way of knowing what to display, where and when.
    >>
    >>And for you to say they don't get reconstructed is just simply
    >>not true. You sound like just another scaremonger.
    >>
    >>As a technologist, you know Jack Schitt about index.dat files.

    >i think you misunderstood what i meant.

    I don't think so. You quite clearly stated:
    "no they arent reconstructed."

    >they do of course get re-created with new data.

    No, once deleted, they get recreated from fresh, with NO
    data - that is added as you browse, etc.

    >but lets say you have been using google to search for FAQs
    >on hacking computers and then decide you had better
    >get rid of this evidence just in case.

    As I said, deleting them is pointless, unless you have
    something to hide.

    >or maybe you were looking for info on how to pick locks or
    >whatever. deleting all your IE stuff wont get rid of that info
    >from your index.dat

    Neither will simply deleting the index.dat files.

    >however using smart protector you can erase that stuff and
    >then the files will be re-created with whatever new stuff you
    >search for .

    Again, they do not get recreated with new stuff.

    >index.dat files can easily be deleted by anyone with a bit of
    >technical nous even on NTFS file systems.
    >suer they are re-created but not with the stuff you were trying
    >to hide.

    Make your mind up - you're squirming.

    >HTH

    No, it didn't.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  13. lee

    Guest

    lets start from scratch.

    I have an index.dat file on my computer.

    i delete all my temp files, cookies and form stuff using IE.

    i think no-one knows what ive been up to cause its all been deleted.

    WRONG.

    it is all still there in INDEX.DAT

    download smart protector and have a look inside the INDEX.DAT it may
    surprise you.

    if i delete the INDEX.DAT all that stuff will disappear and INDEX.DAT
    will start filling up with new junk.

    you cant delete these files without some technical savvy and that is
    where smart protector comes in .

    it will delete all that jink for you.

    the INDEX.DAT will fill up again but the traces of your internet
    activity have been erased.
    , Oct 19, 2003
  14. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:02:11 +0000 (UTC), in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >lets start from scratch.
    >
    >I have an index.dat file on my computer.
    >
    >i delete all my temp files, cookies and form stuff using IE.
    >
    >i think no-one knows what ive been up to cause its all been deleted.
    >
    >WRONG.
    >
    >it is all still there in INDEX.DAT
    >
    >download smart protector and have a look inside the INDEX.DAT it may
    >surprise you.

    Why would I want to do that? I know *exactly* what the index.dat
    file stores; I explained it to you. It will not surprise me at all. But
    then, I don't have anything to hide.

    >if i delete the INDEX.DAT all that stuff will disappear and INDEX.DAT
    >will start filling up with new junk.
    >
    >you cant delete these files without some technical savvy and that is
    >where smart protector comes in .

    That depends on the operating system. A simple batch file
    will delete them in a 9x/ME system. No need for software,
    or technical savvy. And why would anybody pay for software,
    when there is a freeware alternative?
    http://www.wilderssecurity.net/mrublaster.html

    >it will delete all that jink for you.
    >
    >the INDEX.DAT will fill up again but the traces of your internet
    >activity have been erased.

    That depends. If the software merely delete the index.dat
    file, the information is still on your hard drive!
    MRU Blaster securely overwrites data.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  15. lee

    Guest

    you are right. looks like i was taken in by the snake oil salesmen.
    i did some tests and although the index.dat file doesnt get reduced in
    size when you clear it out all the data IS cleared out.
    , Oct 19, 2003
  16. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:31:12 +0000 (UTC), in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >you are right. looks like i was taken in by the snake oil salesmen.
    >i did some tests and although the index.dat file doesnt get reduced in
    >size when you clear it out all the data IS cleared out.

    Some data (often spurious) does get retained, but it
    proves nothing, even to prying eyes. It could have
    been links on other web pages.

    And yes, you were taken in slightly.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 19, 2003
  17. lee

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:09:17 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "lee" <>
    wrote :

    >Does anyone know how to clear all my past search text in google
    >every time i type in the box all the past history comes up.
    >
    >thanks

    Click in a Blank google search box.
    A list of your previous searches will come up.
    Highlight the 1st one by hovering your mouse over it and hold down the
    Keyboard Delete key.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,