Google what A stuff up.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    >> seem able to change it to Google.com

    > Use this link - add it to your bookmarks/favorites
    >
    > http://www.google.com/ncr

    Thank you, that worked.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 26, 2012

  2. In article <k8vku1$ajl$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k8u88a$q10$...
    >> In article <>, Crash McBash
    >> <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
    >>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.

    >> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about google's
    >> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
    >> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to understand
    >> the bottom of the page.
    >>
    >> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising. :)

    >I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    >seem able to change it to Google.com

    Yes, curse them ... I see they've broken that again too <sigh>. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 27, 2012

  3. In article <k90ljh$r2g$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Ralph Fox" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    >>> seem able to change it to Google.com

    >> Use this link - add it to your bookmarks/favorites
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/ncr
    >>

    >Thank you, that worked.

    Similarly here. Thanks also from me. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 27, 2012
  4. On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k8u88a$q10$...
    >> In article <>, Crash McBash
    >> <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>>So the removal of the sidebar was deliberate and as others have said
    >>>there are alternatives which will also show up on any search.

    >> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about google's
    >> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
    >> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to understand
    >> the bottom of the page.
    >>
    >> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising. :)
    >>

    >I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    >seem able to change it to Google.com
    >
    >Geopelia

    That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..
    Frank Williams, Nov 27, 2012
  5. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>in message news:k8u88a$q10$...
    >>> In article <>, Crash McBash
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> (snip)
    >>>
    >>> As much as I hate to agree with Roger, I have to do so here about
    >>> google's
    >>> 'cleaned up' look. I complained to them when they did it.
    >>> At the same time, they also broke what was a simple and easy to
    >>> understand
    >>> off
    >>> the bottom of the page.
    >>>
    >>> New <> better ... for details, observe any advertising. :)
    >>>

    >>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    >>seem able to change it to Google.com
    >>
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..

    If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the name
    of the town.
    I've got back to Google.com now.
    Geopelia, Nov 27, 2012
  6. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k9280l$ejs$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:48:09 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    > >>in message news:k8u88a$q10$...

    > >>I've got the opposite problem. I keep getting Google New Zealand and don't
    > >>seem able to change it to Google.com
    > >>
    > >>Geopelia
    > >>

    > > That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..

    > If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the name
    > of the town.
    > I've got back to Google.com now.

    A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
    enter the search term like this...

    <your search term> site:.nz

    the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
    Zealand sites).

    So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
    searching:
    <your search term> site:.govt.nz

    I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
    more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
    use Google now.

    The site:<domain restriction> works in most search engines, including
    Bing.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 27, 2012
  7. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <k9280l$ejs$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >> > That is the way its ment to work, you are in NZ not the US..

    >> If I want something here I just put New Zealand in the search, or the
    >> name
    >> of the town.
    >> I've got back to Google.com now.

    > A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
    > enter the search term like this...
    >
    > <your search term> site:.nz
    >
    > the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
    > Zealand sites).
    >
    > So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
    > searching:
    > <your search term> site:.govt.nz
    >
    > I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
    > more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
    > use Google now.
    >
    > The site:<domain restriction> works in most search engines, including
    > Bing.

    Thank you, that will be useful.

    I haven't heard of Bing.
    Geopelia, Nov 27, 2012
  8. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
    >enter the search term like this...
    ><your search term> site:.nz
    >the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
    >Zealand sites).

    I used to use the advanced search page by default (before they complicated
    it without making it more useful :) ), then .nz in the 'site or domain' box
    did the same thing with less typing. :)

    >So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
    >searching:
    ><your search term> site:.govt.nz
    >I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
    >more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
    >use Google now.

    I'm a duck man ... https://duckduckgo.com/. They have a great policy ...
    where google needs to be I reckon.
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 28, 2012
  9. In article <k937pt$kem$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >I haven't heard of Bing.

    Reccomend this for a quick overview ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

    There are more out there than you might think (certainly than I thought
    there were :) ).
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 28, 2012
  10. On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:31:42 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <k937pt$kem$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >
    >>I haven't heard of Bing.

    >Reccomend this for a quick overview ...
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine
    >
    >There are more out there than you might think (certainly than I thought
    >there were :) ).

    Yes Copernic Agent give you stacks of search engines all heaped
    together.
    Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2012
  11. On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:31:42 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <k937pt$kem$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >
    >>I haven't heard of Bing.

    >Reccomend this for a quick overview ...
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine
    >
    >There are more out there than you might think (certainly than I thought
    >there were :) ).

    Try this

    http://www.copernic.com/
    Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2012
  12. Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2012
  13. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <k9280l$ejs$>, , Geopelia

    >> A better way, if you want a .nz domain to be returned (only), then you'd
    >> enter the search term like this...
    >>
    >> <your search term> site:.nz
    >>
    >> the "site:.nz" restricts the results to just sites with a .nz (ie New
    >> Zealand sites).
    >>
    >> So you could further say, restrict results to NZ Government docs by
    >> searching:
    >> <your search term> site:.govt.nz
    >>
    >> I use Bing as my prefered search engine now - I find it gives faster and
    >> more relevant results. For most stuff anyway. I only very occasionally
    >> use Google now.
    >>
    >> The site:<domain restriction> works in most search engines, including
    >> Bing.
    >>

    > Has everybody forgotten, or never experienced, the versatility and ease of
    > Google Toolbar in IE ?
    >
    > Apparently Google have, leaving those who've dumped IE with their
    > cumbersome alternative (or lack of) in Chrome.
    >
    > geoff

    I can find what I want on Google. And I'm surprised to find articles I've
    written on there. (Under my real name).
    I wonder who puts them on, it's not me. But I don't worry about copyright.
    The more the merrier, gentle readers!

    I think every American magazine ends up in the Library of Congress or
    something.
    Maybe Google looks at that.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 28, 2012