Google Warning...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by DD, May 13, 2005.

  1. DD

    DD Guest

    Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    Google:

    We're sorry...

    .... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    that your computer or network has been infected.

    We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    software.

    We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

    I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?

    DD

    DD, May 13, 2005

  2. DD wrote:

    > Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    > Google:
    >
    > We're sorry...
    >
    > ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    > spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    > that your computer or network has been infected.
    >
    > We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    > the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    > to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    > software.
    >
    > We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
    > Google.
    >
    > I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    > was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >
    > DD

    ....it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you try
    getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
    firefox...see if you get the same message.

    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

    Michael Pelletier, May 13, 2005

  3. DD

    DD Guest

    Michael Pelletier wrote:
    > DD wrote:
    >

    >>Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    >>Google:
    >>
    >>We're sorry...
    >>
    >>... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    >>spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    >>that your computer or network has been infected.
    >>
    >>We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    >>the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    >>to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    >>software.
    >>
    >>We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
    >>Google.
    >>
    >>I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    >>was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >>
    >>DD

    > ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
    > getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
    > firefox...see if you get the same message.
    >
    > Michael

    Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.

    DD

    DD, May 13, 2005
  4. DD

    Ashp Guest

    DD wrote:

    > Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    > Google:
    >
    > We're sorry...
    >
    > ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    > spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    > that your computer or network has been infected.
    >
    > We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    > the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    > to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    > software.
    >
    > We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    >
    > I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but
    > nothing was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >
    > DD

    Check your host file, and clean it up.

    Ash.

    Ashp, May 13, 2005
  5. DD wrote:

    > Michael Pelletier wrote:
    >> DD wrote:
    >>

    >>>Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    >>>Google:
    >>>
    >>>We're sorry...
    >>>
    >>>... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    >>>spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    >>>that your computer or network has been infected.
    >>>
    >>>We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    >>>the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    >>>to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    >>>software.
    >>>
    >>>We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
    >>>Google.
    >>>
    >>>I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    >>>was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >>>
    >>>DD

    >> ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
    >> getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
    >> firefox...see if you get the same message.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
    >
    > DD

    Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, May 13, 2005
  6. Michael Pelletier wrote:

    > DD wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Pelletier wrote:

    >>> ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
    >>> getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
    >>> firefox...see if you get the same message.
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
    >>
    >> DD

    > Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...
    >
    > Michael

    ...an easy test to see if it is your hosts file type (in your browser):
    http://216.239.39.99

    If you go to google (which is the ip address above) without any problems
    then you have bad entries in your hosts file. Some spyware will do this to
    redirect you to other web sites...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, May 13, 2005
  7. DD

    DD Guest

    Michael Pelletier wrote:
    > Michael Pelletier wrote:
    >

    >>DD wrote:

    >>>Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
    >>>
    >>>DD

    >>Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...
    >>
    >>Michael

    > ..an easy test to see if it is your hosts file type (in your browser):
    > http://216.239.39.99
    >
    > If you go to google (which is the ip address above) without any problems
    > then you have bad entries in your hosts file. Some spyware will do this to
    > redirect you to other web sites...
    >
    > Michael

    I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have no
    idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple terms
    please!
    Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?

    DD

    DD, May 13, 2005
  8. DD

    Ashp Guest

    DD wrote:

    > I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have no
    > idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple terms
    > please!
    > Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?
    >
    > DD

    Assuming you are running XP

    Go to

    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with notepad.

    Delete all entries apart from

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    Ashp, May 13, 2005
  9. DD

    DD Guest

    Ashp wrote:
    > DD wrote:
    >
    >> I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have
    >> no idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple
    >> terms please!
    >> Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?
    >>
    >> DD

    > Assuming you are running XP
    >
    > Go to
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with
    > notepad.
    >
    > Delete all entries apart from
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost

    I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
    drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty and
    the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam which
    seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
    SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
    appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.
    I need some help, this is new territory for me.

    Thanks for the diagnosis and help so far...

    DD

    DD, May 13, 2005
  10. DD

    xsr Guest

    DD Wrote:
    > I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
    > drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty
    > and
    > the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam
    > which
    > seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
    > SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.
    > I need some help, this is new territory for me.
    >
    > Thanks for the diagnosis and help so far...
    >
    > DD

    There is a tool called "Hijack this" (
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html ), the output of that tool
    would be more helpfull. The fact that adware/av scanners have cleaned
    some stuff doesn't necesairly mean that your not still infected with
    something.
    As a last resort, a fresh install probally fixes it. But just don't
    forget to firewall your box before putting it online (or on lan, since
    your wife has the same problem).

    ---
    xsr
    896c e197 a881 7af3 a9ca bad5 b83d 0ae9 4de6 00fa
    usenet [at] http://www.research-labs.net

    xsr, May 13, 2005
  11. DD

    Jim Guest

    DD wrote...
    > Ashp wrote:
    >
    >> DD wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have
    >>> no idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple
    >>> terms please!
    >>> Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?
    >>>
    >>> DD

    >> Assuming you are running XP
    >>
    >> Go to
    >>
    >> C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with
    >> notepad.
    >>
    >> Delete all entries apart from
    >>
    >> 127.0.0.1 localhost

    > I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
    > drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty and
    > the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam which
    > seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
    > SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.

    Go to the folder with a DOS prompt. (Start->Run and enter cmd.exe)
    type the following..

    c:
    cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    dir /a

    this will really show all the files in the folder.
    If the file is there you can then use "type hosts" to see the contents

    It's possible that you, or other people on your network, are infected
    with viruses which have been attacking Google, and you have been
    blacklisted. I'm not aware that Google does this, but see, e.g. ...

    Jim, May 13, 2005
  12. From: "DD" <>

    | Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    | Google:
    |
    | We're sorry...
    |
    | ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    | spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    | that your computer or network has been infected.
    |
    | We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    | the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    | to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    | software.
    |
    | We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    |
    | I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    | was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    |
    | DD

    DD:

    You are posting via http://www.tpg.com.au/

    Are you a statically assigned IP or is it a dynamic IP.

    In addition run Regedit and look at...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

    and the key; DataBasePath
    DataBasePath should be set to; %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

    Is it the above path or does it point to another location ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, May 13, 2005
  13. DD

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:43:32 +1000, DD <> wrote:

    > Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    >Google:
    >
    >We're sorry...
    >
    >... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    >spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    >that your computer or network has been infected.
    >
    >We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    >the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    >to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    >software.
    >
    >We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    >
    > I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    >was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >
    >DD

    See if either of these threads help any.
    <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/27369.htm>
    <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/fulldisc/full-disclosure/31350>
    <http://forums.seochat.com/archive/t-21306/Strange-search-result-Google-is-sick>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, May 13, 2005
  14. DD

    DD Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > DD wrote...
    > > Ashp wrote:

    > >> Assuming you are running XP
    > >>
    > >> Go to
    > >>
    > >> C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with
    > >> notepad.
    > >>
    > >> Delete all entries apart from
    > >>
    > >> 127.0.0.1 localhost

    > > I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
    > > drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty and
    > > the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam which
    > > seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
    > > SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > > appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.

    > Go to the folder with a DOS prompt. (Start->Run and enter cmd.exe)
    > type the following..
    >
    > c:
    > cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    > dir /a
    >
    > this will really show all the files in the folder.
    > If the file is there you can then use "type hosts" to see the contents

    The directory of ETC contained the 5 files I mentioned in the previous
    post and two directories:
    13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> .
    13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> ..

    It is noteworthy that these two directories were formed at the time
    that we first experienced the error message.

    Any further suggestions?

    DD

    DD, May 13, 2005
  15. From: "DD" <>

    | The directory of ETC contained the 5 files I mentioned in the previous
    | post and two directories:
    | 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> .
    | 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> ..
    |
    | It is noteworthy that these two directories were formed at the time
    | that we first experienced the error message.
    |
    | Any further suggestions?
    |
    | DD

    That's a modification date. If you write/delete a file in a folder the folder date will
    change.

    David H. Lipman, May 14, 2005
  16. DD

    DD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "DD" <>
    >

    > | The directory of ETC contained the 5 files I mentioned in the previous
    > | post and two directories:
    > | 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> .
    > | 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> ..
    > |
    > | It is noteworthy that these two directories were formed at the time
    > | that we first experienced the error message.
    > |
    > | Any further suggestions?
    > |
    > | DD
    > |

    > That's a modification date. If you write/delete a file in a folder the folder date will
    > change.
    >
    > Are you a statically assigned IP or is it a dynamic IP.
    >
    > In addition run Regedit and look at...
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    >
    > and the key; DataBasePath
    > DataBasePath should be set to; %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    >
    > Is it the above path or does it point to another location ?

    My IP address is dynamically assigned.

    DataBasePath is set to the path you quote.

    Thanks for your interest...

    DD

    DD, May 14, 2005
  17. "DD" <> wrote in message news:42854999$

    | My IP address is dynamically assigned.
    |
    | DataBasePath is set to the path you quote.
    |
    | Thanks for your interest...
    |
    | DD

    Your IP address may be in Google's FireWall and thus is blocking your IP. Try to "renew"
    your IP assignment such that you get a new IP address from your ISP's pool. How you do it
    will depend upon how you connect to the Internet. One way to force a new IP address is to
    go the WAN port and change its respective MAC address by one digit.

    For example your WAN port MAC is;

    00-60-08-05-98-BE
    change it to
    00-60-08-05-98-BD

    That will just about guarantee a new IP address. The only caveat is if your ISP ties your
    Internet account to a specific MAC address. It is not too often but some ISPs do.

    David H. Lipman, May 14, 2005
  18. DD

    DD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > "DD" <> wrote in message news:42854999$
    >
    > | My IP address is dynamically assigned.
    > |
    > | DataBasePath is set to the path you quote.
    > |
    > | Thanks for your interest...
    > |
    > | DD
    >
    > Your IP address may be in Google's FireWall and thus is blocking your IP. Try to "renew"
    > your IP assignment such that you get a new IP address from your ISP's pool. How you do it
    > will depend upon how you connect to the Internet. One way to force a new IP address is to
    > go the WAN port and change its respective MAC address by one digit.
    >
    > For example your WAN port MAC is;
    >
    > 00-60-08-05-98-BE
    > change it to
    > 00-60-08-05-98-BD
    >
    > That will just about guarantee a new IP address. The only caveat is if your ISP ties your
    > Internet account to a specific MAC address. It is not too often but some ISPs do.

    I'm afraid I have no idea how to do what you suggest! My computing
    knowledge was left a long way behind in the first sentence!
    Help needed...

    DD

    DD, May 14, 2005
  19. DD

    DD Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:43:32 +1000, DD <> wrote:
    >

    >> Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
    >>Google:
    >>
    >>We're sorry...
    >>
    >>... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    >>spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    >>that your computer or network has been infected.
    >>
    >>We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    >>the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    >>to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    >>software.
    >>
    >>We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    >>
    >> I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
    >>was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
    >>
    >>DD

    > See if either of these threads help any.
    > <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/27369.htm>
    > <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/fulldisc/full-disclosure/31350>
    > <http://forums.seochat.com/archive/t-21306/Strange-search-result-Google-is-sick>

    Thanks for the information, the links were interesting but
    unfortunately they don't seem to provide an answer.

    DD

    DD, May 14, 2005
  20. DD

    Jim Guest

    DD wrote...
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> DD wrote...

    >> problem?

    >> > I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file!

    >> under
    >> > drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is

    >> empty and
    >> > the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam

    >> which
    >> > seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
    >> > SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >> > appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.

    >> Go to the folder with a DOS prompt. (Start->Run and enter cmd.exe)
    >> type the following..
    >>
    >> c:
    >> cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    >> dir /a
    >>
    >> this will really show all the files in the folder.
    >> If the file is there you can then use "type hosts" to see the contents
    >>

    > The directory of ETC contained the 5 files I mentioned in the
    > 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> .
    > 13/05/2005 03:42pm <DIR> ..
    >
    > It is noteworthy that these two directories were formed at the time
    > that we first experienced the error message.
    >
    > Any further suggestions?

    Those directories are the current (.) and parent(..) directories.

    You should type the google address in the browser address bar, and run
    netstat -an
    in a DOS prompt. This should show the connection to what it thinks is Google's
    IP. Then try the IP in the browser.

    Jim, May 14, 2005