Google virus/spyware warning

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by james, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. james

    james Guest

    Hello all,

    I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
    My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
    Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
    Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
    virus- (McAfee v8) and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
    scanners, but no issues found.

    I checked the hosts file (read in another post), but the content seems
    ok (one entry, 127.0.0.1 localhost).
    We only have one network card and IP address, so it seams not a blocked
    IP/mac address.

    Anyone having any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

    James & Maartje

    We're sorry...

    .... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
    spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
    that your computer or network has been infected.

    We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
    to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
    software.

    We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
    Google.
    To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:

    james, Dec 30, 2005

  2. From: "james" <>

    | Hello all,
    |
    | I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
    | My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
    | Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
    | Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
    | virus- (McAfee v8) and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
    | scanners, but no issues found.
    |
    | I checked the hosts file (read in another post), but the content seems
    | ok (one entry, 127.0.0.1 localhost).
    | We only have one network card and IP address, so it seams not a blocked
    | IP/mac address.
    |
    | Anyone having any other ideas?
    | Thanks in advance for any help!
    |
    | James & Maartje

    < snip >

    Google doesn't like Proxy Servers.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Dec 30, 2005

  3. james

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:12:54 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Google doesn't like Proxy Servers.

    It has never complained when I've use it to test them

    Methinks this is something else pretending to be google.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Dec 31, 2005
  4. james

    junkmail Guest

    if you click on links faster than 1 every 2 or 3 seconds it thinks your a
    bot, and boots you.

    dont click links fast.

    junkmail, Dec 31, 2005
  5. james,

    Here's something to try. Log in as yourself. go to a windows command
    prompt. type: ping google.com
    write down the ip address that google.com resolves to.

    log off. log onto your girlfriend's account. go to a windows command
    prompt. type: ping google.com
    check to see if you are both resolving the domain name google.com to
    the same ip address.

    If the IP addresses are different, under your girlfriend's account,
    type: ipconfig /flushdns
    That will flush all of the dns entries that are in your system's cache.

    I'm not sure if the DNS cache is account specific or not. but it does
    seem odd that you are getting different results from hitting the same
    website.

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 1, 2006
  6. james

    Robert Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:43:44 -0800, james wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
    > My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
    > Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
    > Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
    > virus- (McAfee v8) and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
    > scanners, but no issues found.

    What are you using for a web browser? I know some sites have a problem
    with firefox and one of it's extensions.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

    Robert, Jan 1, 2006
  7. james

    Moe Trin Guest

    On 31 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, JebediahSpringfield
    wrote:

    >Here's something to try. Log in as yourself. go to a windows command
    >prompt. type: ping google.com
    >write down the ip address that google.com resolves to.
    >
    >log off. log onto your girlfriend's account. go to a windows command
    >prompt. type: ping google.com
    >check to see if you are both resolving the domain name google.com to
    >the same ip address.

    I know this must seem complicated - but your test is useless. Why?
    Because "google.com" is not a single computer. If I ask one of the
    many name servers _AT_ google.com, I get:

    [compton ~]$ host -a google.com ns1.google.com
    Using domain server:
    Name: ns1.google.com
    Address: 216.239.32.10
    Aliases:

    Trying null domain
    rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=12
    google.com 300 IN A 72.14.207.99
    google.com 300 IN A 64.233.187.99

    [snip]

    So google is at the moment at 72.14.207.99 _AND_ 64.233.187.99, but that
    answer is only valid for 300 seconds. Google has been assigned AT LEAST
    four blocks of addresses:

    64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255 66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
    72.14.192.0 - 72.14.239.255 216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255

    Why have so many addresses? Simple - there are a gazillion people in the
    world who want to connect to google to search for something, or read/post
    news, etc., and that's to many connections for one computer. Having more
    than one netblock also makes sense when the back-hoes are out there digging
    up the cables accidentally.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Jan 1, 2006
  8. james

    james Guest

    Pinging google results for both user accounts in the same IP address.
    Anyway, I tried to flush the dns entries using ipconfig /flushdns, but
    the problem is not solved yet.

    Thanks anyway for your suggestion...
    Anyone more ideas?

    james, Jan 1, 2006
  9. james

    james Guest

    I have this problem using both Firefox and Internet explorer 6.

    Thanks, James

    james, Jan 1, 2006
  10. James,

    Are you using the same search keywords in google each time? Some
    queries apparently will trigger this response from google. It is by
    their design to protect from a certain phpforum virus.

    See this thread on another site.
    http://digg.com/links/Google_says_I_have_a_virus...

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 2, 2006
  11. I was simply trying to eliminate everything layer 3 and below. He
    isn't getting poisoned DNS information that is pointing his browser to
    an incorrect IP address. He's actually getting an IP address that
    belongs to google. I wouldn't exactly call that a useless test.

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 2, 2006
  12. james

    james Guest

    Hello Jebediah,

    No, I use different search words, absolutely nothing related to PHP.
    The link you provide does not work for me.

    Yesterday I compared all the running processes for both accounts using
    the task manager, but also there I don't
    see differences.

    Any more ideas?

    James

    james, Jan 2, 2006
  13. Well, my understanding is that google is filtering certain search
    parameters that are related to the Santy worm, which infects phpBB
    forum boards. The Santy worm uses google to search for vulnerable
    forums to infect. Google blocks these searches in order to slow the
    spread of the worm. A classic example of this would be this: try
    searching google for the term "voice when". You should get the
    same result.

    I read online that if you at any point accidentally typed "googkle.com"
    instead of google.com, you could have the Santy worm along with some
    other malware. You can see how a simple typo could cause the infection
    to spread to your computer. Once infected, the worm starts searching
    google for phpbb sites to infect.

    Now, given the fact that you aren't getting the same response under
    your login as you are under your girlfriend's login, I'm not sure
    how any of this plays into your specific situation. I am just
    explaining 1) why that particular google page exists and 2) what I
    meant when I said that using some specific search keywords can trigger
    the response.

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 3, 2006
  14. james

    james Guest

    Hello Jebediah,

    Mmmm. I have checked whether my girlfriends' account is infected with
    the Santy worm:
    I have looked up some info about this worm, the McAfee site says it can
    only infect web servers with the phpBB forum software.
    But... It is not installed on my PC
    Further, my uptodate mcafee scanner does not find it.

    Any more ideas?

    James

    james, Jan 10, 2006
  15. The only other thing I can think of to tell you is that you could
    create a new Windows Profile for her. Copy all of her documents,
    address book(s), email settings, etc. to the new user account, test it
    to make sure she has everything she needs and then delete the old one.
    One suggestion before you do that... do a full backup. If your user
    account works and hers does not, perhaps somehow her user profile has
    become corrupted.

    That's a lot of work. And I realize that it doesn't answer the
    question "why" very well. But it seems reasonable to me. Good luck.

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 11, 2006
  16. james

    james Guest

    I think I will follow your suggestion to make new profile.

    Jebediah, Thanks for your help!

    james, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Curious... Did creating a new profile work?

    Jebediah

    JebediahSpringfield, Jan 19, 2006
  18. james

    Franklin Guest

    On 01 Jan 2006, james wrote:

    > I have this problem using both Firefox and Internet explorer 6.
    >
    > Thanks, James

    Is your firewall set to block some Google Desktop Search accesses to
    the net?

    Franklin, Jan 20, 2006
  19. james

    james Guest

    Hi,

    I have not installed Google desktop, so it can't be that.

    About creating new profile: that works. But of course all settings of
    the original profile are gone. Any ideas of easy ways to copy the
    settings to the new profile?

    Thanks, James

    james, Jan 30, 2006