Google toolbar, alt-g, Win XP, and cursor position afterwards...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john Q, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. john Q

    john Q Guest

    I've used and loved the Google toolbar for years...

    On my old PCs, and my work PC, covering all versions of Windows from
    95 to 2000, and I think including IE 6.0, pressing alt-g positions
    the cursor in the google toolbar, with any/all pre-existing text
    highlighted, so by default, starting to type replaces all the
    pre-existing text in the toolbar

    On my new XP Pro machine, IE 6.0 SP1 with all the security patches
    pressing alt-g puts my cursor at the end of the text and it's not
    highlighted.

    Furthermore, just clicking on any part of the text in the google
    toolbar just once, old PC's results in all text highlighted, ready to
    be replaced, but on the new XP/IE 6 machine, just positions the cursor
    wherever the mouse was when I clicked.

    Any ideas? It's almost not worth using the Google Toolbar, since it's
    so much labor to get all the text highlighted/deleted to start a new
    search.

    john Q, Oct 11, 2003

  2. john Q

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, it's certainly not the Google toolbar, or IE6, as it still
    exhibits that behaviour in 98SE.

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:35:45 GMT, in
    <>
    john Q scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 11, 2003

  3. john Q

    john Q Guest

    Part of the mystery is Windows XP itself. Right clicking (or Shift
    F10) in the Google Toolbar pops up the context menu/shortcut menu, one
    of whose options is "Select All". Choose that, and the entire search
    box is highlighted.

    In the Address bar, that same set of options is available in the
    context menu, but select all is grayed out on the address bar's text
    box, implying that it's set up differently.

    I've been browsing around the registry, but nothing obvious seems to
    be showing up. Any more ideas?

    john Q, Oct 11, 2003
  4. john Q

    °Mike° Guest