Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jason M, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
    download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
    article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
    and they may not do the job properly.

    This is the genuine Spybot site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    These two are not genuine Spybot sites:

    http://www.spybot-search.com/
    where you get spyhunter instead

    http://spybot-spyware.com/
    where you get god knows what.

    Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
    problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
    wrong one.

    It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
    to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.

    Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    Jason M, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Jason M

    EAgle Guest

    "Jason M" <> wrote in message
    > If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
    > download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
    > article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
    > and they may not do the job properly.
    >
    > This is the genuine Spybot site:
    > http://www.safer-networking.org
    >
    > These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
    >
    > http://www.spybot-search.com/
    > where you get spyhunter instead
    >
    > http://spybot-spyware.com/
    > where you get god knows what.
    >
    > Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
    > problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
    > wrong one.
    >
    > It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
    > to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.
    >
    > Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it.. but
    Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far the best
    search engine

    EAgle, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Jason M

    Jason M Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:27:36 +1300, "EAgle" <> wrote:

    >"Jason M" <> wrote in message

    >> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    >You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it.. but
    >Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far the best
    >search engine

    For searching newsgroups, images and news, maybe it is.
    But using Copernic I often find things that people can't find using
    Google.
    Copernic is currently using 11 different search engines in parallel
    (AOL Search, Altavista, MSN Web Search, HotBot, Lycos, Yahoo, Ah-ha,
    FindWhat, Mamma, Open Directory Project, Fast Search), and may often
    find things that single search engines won't.

    http://www.copernic.com

    Jason M, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Jason M

    Lebowski Guest

    "Jason M" <> wrote in message
    > If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
    > download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
    > article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
    > and they may not do the job properly.
    >
    > This is the genuine Spybot site:
    > http://www.safer-networking.org
    >
    > These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
    >
    > http://www.spybot-search.com/
    > where you get spyhunter instead
    >
    > http://spybot-spyware.com/
    > where you get god knows what.
    >
    > Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
    > problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
    > wrong one.
    >
    > It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
    > to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.
    >
    > Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    Eh??? Google is number 1 by a long long shot.

    Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
    any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
    chase.

    Taking a cursory glance at my Google search result for "Spybot", I see
    security.kolla.de/ is still the top result - which is the official home of
    Spybot of course (along with safer-networking.org of course as mentioned in
    the OP). Often a common symptom of internet / pc usage, it's often not the
    tools at fault - but the user ;)

    Lebowski, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Jason M

    bambam Guest

    (Jason M) wrote in

    > If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has
    > two sponsored links at the top which take you to sites where you
    > can download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the
    > genuine article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the
    > imposters find, and they may not do the job properly.
    >
    > This is the genuine Spybot site:
    > http://www.safer-networking.org
    >
    > These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
    >
    > http://www.spybot-search.com/
    > where you get spyhunter instead
    >
    > http://spybot-spyware.com/
    > where you get god knows what.
    >
    > Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of
    > this problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they
    > got the wrong one.
    >
    > It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored
    > links to the wrong place when people are searching for a
    > trademarked name.
    >
    > Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    Who clicks on sponsored links? They are clearly labeled and coloured
    differently to make them easily identifiable as a sponsored link.
    Both sponsored links lead to the same download (spyhunter).
    Out of the first page of 10 legitimate links 8 lead to the correct
    program and 2 lead to dead pages.
    Maybe you should have sent a link instead of just telling them to
    search for themselves.

    Copernic - System Requirements

    <paste>

    # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
    # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
    # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
    # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
    # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.

    <paste>

    http://www.copernic.com/en/products/meta/feature-list.html

    Not everybody fits in this box.

    I'll stick with Google, thanks.

    --
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

    bambam, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Jason M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason M wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:27:36 +1300, "EAgle" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jason M" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    >> You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it..
    >> but Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far
    >> the best search engine

    > For searching newsgroups, images and news, maybe it is.
    > But using Copernic I often find things that people can't find using
    > Google.
    > Copernic is currently using 11 different search engines in parallel
    > (AOL Search, Altavista, MSN Web Search, HotBot, Lycos, Yahoo, Ah-ha,
    > FindWhat, Mamma, Open Directory Project, Fast Search), and may often
    > find things that single search engines won't.
    >
    > http://www.copernic.com

    I used to use Dogpile exclusively. It searches Google, Yahoo, Altavista and
    a whole bunch of others.

    www.dogpile.com
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Jason M

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, "Lebowski"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
    >any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
    >chase.

    Sometimes the sponsored link is quite relevant, or in fact the one you
    were looking for. I must be dumb as I have clicked on them and found
    them useful. I did however realise that it was a sponsored link I was
    clicking on.

    Craig Shore, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Jason M

    steve Guest

    Jason M wrote:

    > Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    I'll try it out. Google is going to be floated soon and will at that pointed
    likely be perverted to present what they want to sell instead of what you
    are looking for.

    Google BECAME popular because they did not manipulate the search results the
    other search engines began to.

    Infoseek was a better earch engine.....until they corrupted it.

    steve, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Jason M

    steve Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
    > # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
    > # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
    > # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
    > # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
    >
    > <paste>
    >
    > http://www.copernic.com/en/products/meta/feature-list.html
    >
    > Not everybody fits in this box.
    >
    > I'll stick with Google, thanks.

    If they supported Linux, I'd try it.

    steve, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Jason M

    Chris Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Jason M wrote:
    >

    >> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

    > I'll try it out. Google is going to be floated soon and will at that
    > pointed likely be perverted to present what they want to sell instead
    > of what you are looking for.

    Google is a company now so having an IPO is hardly going to make any
    difference IMO as the value in the company is the IP and methods they use.

    > Google BECAME popular because they did not manipulate the search
    > results the other search engines began to.
    >
    > Infoseek was a better earch engine.....until they corrupted it.

    Didn't Infoseek have banner adds before it became go.com, ? I can't
    remember it was that long ago (in internet terms)

    And even if Google is corrupted by capitalist pigs some comrade will surely
    set up another "Google like" search engine that fundamentalist's and
    reformist's alike can enjoy :)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Jason M

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:19:40 GMT, (Jason M)
    wrote:

    >If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
    >download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
    >article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
    >and they may not do the job properly.

    Thanks, I think I know someone who has done that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Jason M

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:22:06 +1300, steve wrote:

    > bambam wrote:
    >
    >> # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
    >> # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
    >> # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
    >> # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
    >> # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
    >>
    >> <paste>
    >>
    >> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/meta/feature-list.html
    >>
    >> Not everybody fits in this box.
    >>
    >> I'll stick with Google, thanks.

    > If they supported Linux, I'd try it.

    My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones web
    browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or the
    acess to them.

    Gordon, Feb 22, 2004
  13. Jason M

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
    > any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
    > chase.

    Nope, no goose chase. The target is your wallet. There are people who are
    willing to pay for a product. I have no problem with sponsered links as
    long as Google gives the results.

    An aside, how much would you be willing to pay for a Google search, 1, 5,
    10, 20, 99 cents or more?

    Gordon, Feb 22, 2004
  14. Jason M

    harry Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:22:06 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> bambam wrote:
    >>
    >>> # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
    >>> # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
    >>> # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
    >>> # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
    >>> # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
    >>>
    >>> <paste>
    >>>
    >>> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/meta/feature-list.html
    >>>
    >>> Not everybody fits in this box.
    >>>
    >>> I'll stick with Google, thanks.

    >> If they supported Linux, I'd try it.

    > My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
    > web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or
    > the acess to them.

    We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now there is
    a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
    Cool!
    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

    harry, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Jason M

    Lebowski Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link"

    for
    > > any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild

    goose
    > > chase.

    > Nope, no goose chase. The target is your wallet. There are people who are
    > willing to pay for a product. I have no problem with sponsered links as
    > long as Google gives the results.
    >
    > An aside, how much would you be willing to pay for a Google search, 1, 5,
    > 10, 20, 99 cents or more?

    *Pay* for something on the net? What? Have you gone mad?

    ;)

    Lebowski, Feb 22, 2004
  16. harry wrote:
    >>My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
    >>web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or
    >>the acess to them.

    > We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now there is
    > a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
    > Cool!
    > http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

    Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  17. Jason M

    harry Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Howard wrote:
    >> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

    >> Buecause of all the extra useful buttons it offers like being able to
    >> restrict you sesrch to only Penguin friendly sites, or MS friendly if
    >> you insist, but I find the most useful bottons are the ones which
    >> allow you to do a one click search for the terms you searched for in
    >> the page shown.

    > The pop-up stopper function is handy also.

    But built in to mozilla.

    harry, Feb 22, 2004
  18. Jason M

    Howard Guest

    Howard, Feb 22, 2004
  19. Jason M

    harry Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > harry wrote:
    >>> My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
    >>> web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines,
    >>> or the acess to them.

    >> We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now
    >> there is a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
    >> Cool!
    >> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

    > Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

    What googlebar functions are built in ?

    harry, Feb 22, 2004
  20. harry wrote:
    >>>http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

    >>Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

    > What googlebar functions are built in ?

    It appears that I only use very limited features of the google bar, lord
    knows I grabbed it about a million years ago.

    mine doesnt seem to have the features that the new one has.
    it only has search, all I have ever needed.

    anyway, never mind, I'll try the new one. and the mozilla add on if it
    is so great.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz