    Ian.
    (Acknowledgements to "kayodeok," whose post in another group alerted me to
    this new Google toy.)

    Ionizer, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Ionizer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
    | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
    | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    |
    | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    |
    | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
    | far as the letter "W."
    |
    | Spooky.

    And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
    enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
    most likely queries.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Ionizer

    Old Gringo Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
    > guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
    > search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >
    > http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >
    > The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    > Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    > "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
    > far as the letter "W."
    >
    > Spooky.

    That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE :)

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
    > | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
    > | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    > |
    > | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    > |
    > | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    > | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    > | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
    > | far as the letter "W."
    > |
    > | Spooky.
    > |
    > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
    > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
    > most likely queries.

    White Bread took a few more characters. :)

    Old Gringo, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
    > guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
    > search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >
    > http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >
    > The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    > Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    > "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
    > far as the letter "W."

    That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the obvious.
    Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

    anthonyberet, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    | > | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts
    | > | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
    your
    | > | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    | > |
    | > | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    | > |
    | > | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    | > | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    | > | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    as
    | > | far as the letter "W."
    | > |
    | > | Spooky.
    | > |
    | > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've
    collected
    | > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are
    the
    | > most likely queries.
    | >

    | White Bread took a few more characters. :)

    Yeah - I'd imagine <g>! The more "obscure" the search, the longer it will
    take for a valid suggestion. As I've played with it more, it seems less
    "statistical" and more lexigraphical (I believe that's the correct term....)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
    > | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
    > | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    > |
    > | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    > |
    > | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    > | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    > | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
    > | far as the letter "W."
    > |
    > | Spooky.
    > |
    > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
    > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
    > most likely queries.

    went back for a second try, don't like it. Easier to just type in
    what you want.

    Old Gringo, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Ionizer

    WormWood Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Ionizer wrote:
    >> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
    >> attempts to
    >> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
    >> your
    >> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >>
    >> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    >> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    >> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    >> as
    >> far as the letter "W."
    >>
    >> Spooky.
    >>

    > That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE :)

    Similar, except they don't or shouldn't have a data base supplied by
    you. If they did, it would be taking Big Brother a step too far.

    WormWood, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've

    collected
    > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are

    the
    > most likely queries.

    Yes, I do sort of appreciate how it must be done and I realize that no
    actual clairvoyance is involved. I don't even think it's useful for
    anything beyond saving a couple of keystrokes for common searches, but I
    still thought it was a cool innovation. That said, it took 5 letters for
    it to guess/anticipate my search for "toolman."

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 11, 2004
  10. Ionizer

    Old Gringo Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ionizer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
    >>>attempts to
    >>>guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
    >>>your
    >>>search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >>>
    >>>http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >>>
    >>>The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    >>>Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    >>>"Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    >>>as
    >>>far as the letter "W."
    >>>
    >>>Spooky.
    >>>

    >>That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE :)
    >>

    > Similar, except they don't or shouldn't have a data base supplied by
    > you. If they did, it would be taking Big Brother a step too far.

    Thats for sure :)

    Old Gringo, Dec 11, 2004
  11. Ionizer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've
    | collected
    | > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are
    | the
    | > most likely queries.
    |
    | Yes, I do sort of appreciate how it must be done and I realize that no
    | actual clairvoyance is involved. I don't even think it's useful for
    | anything beyond saving a couple of keystrokes for common searches, but I
    | still thought it was a cool innovation. That said, it took 5 letters for
    | it to guess/anticipate my search for "toolman."

    yeah - I'm not quite the persona that Howard is <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  12. Ionizer

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    anthonyberet <> opined very noisily:
    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
    >> attempts to guess what you are searching for before you've even
    >> finished entering your search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >>
    >> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    >> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    >> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    >> as far as the letter "W."
    >>

    > That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the
    > obvious. Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

    verily there is a human behind it --
    try "se", "HO" "po" even "xx" or " cu" or Va "
    Defiantly censored
    :-(
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Dec 11, 2004
  13. Ionizer

    WormWood Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message

    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
    >> attempts to
    >> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
    >> your
    >> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >>
    >> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    >> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    >> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    >> as
    >> far as the letter "W."
    >>

    > That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the
    > obvious.

    Pork?

    WormWood, Dec 11, 2004
  14. Ionizer

    Jim Byrd Guest

    I didn't investigate it, but that might also be the effect of whatever
    Google preferences you've got set, if any. IIRC, there's at least one about
    filtering such stuff.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:g6tud.34736$,
    Yddap <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Ionizer

    Jock Strap Guest

    Ionizer wrote:

    > Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
    > attempts to guess what you are searching for before you've even
    > finished entering your search words, named "Google Suggest:"
    >
    > http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
    >
    > The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
    > Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
    > "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
    > as far as the letter "W."
    >
    > Spooky.

    Damn, it doesn't give any suggestions for "sex" or "naked" etc. ;)

    Jock Strap, Dec 11, 2004