    What the ?#@# is going on?!? I look forward to reading your replies
    on or after fuckin' June 4th at the rate I'm goin.

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I don't know if IE 5 is causing the problem. but you really should update to
    IE 6 mate. There's loads of security flaws in IE5 and I know there are some
    in IE6 but you can download patches for most of them.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, May 31, 2004

  3. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know if IE 5 is causing the problem. but you really should update

    > IE 6 mate. There's loads of security flaws in IE5 and I know there are

    some
    > in IE6 but you can download patches for most of them.

    As you can for IE 5 as well, but I agree he should update to 6.
    Thor, May 31, 2004
  4. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't know if IE 5 is causing the problem. but you really should

    update
    > > IE 6 mate. There's loads of security flaws in IE5 and I know there are

    > some
    > > in IE6 but you can download patches for most of them.

    > As you can for IE 5 as well, but I agree he should update to 6.

    _______________________
    I am back using my Outlook express newsreader which is up to the minute.

    Hmmm..Could it be my ISP's server?? That wouldn't make sense because if it
    isn't refreshing Google since 5/27 then it wouldn't refresh HERE.

    yours truly,

    -Pissed
    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004
  5. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    Chris, are you using any kind of dialup accelerator software?

    Thor, May 31, 2004
  6. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    nyet!

    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004
  7. ChrisCoaster

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:53:34 GMT, "ChrisCoaster"
    <> wrote:

    >"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I don't know if IE 5 is causing the problem. but you really should

    >update
    >> > IE 6 mate. There's loads of security flaws in IE5 and I know there are

    >> some
    >> > in IE6 but you can download patches for most of them.

    >> As you can for IE 5 as well, but I agree he should update to 6.
    >>

    >_______________________
    >I am back using my Outlook express newsreader which is up to the minute.
    >
    >Hmmm..Could it be my ISP's server?? That wouldn't make sense because if it
    >isn't refreshing Google since 5/27 then it wouldn't refresh HERE.

    Its the other way around. Its your ISP that is current.

    I don't read news with HTML...so I'm afraid I can't help too much.
    But are you missing ALL messages?...or just some? And are you missing
    both out-going and incoming?

    I don't think your ISP has anything to do with posting and reading
    thru Google.

    Maybe you've been banned from Google groups.

    Remember to honor our troops...past and present.

    And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.

    Trent©
    Trent©, May 31, 2004
  8. ChrisCoaster

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in

    > Hmmm..Could it be my ISP's server?? That wouldn't make sense because
    > if it isn't refreshing Google since 5/27 then it wouldn't refresh
    > HERE.

    Your ISP runs an NNTP server. Google pulls the newsgroups from different
    feeds and converts them to webpages (basically). If you get different
    google results from home and not home, the problem is most likely either
    your cache or your ISP having some type of proxy. The fact OE shows
    current messages has nothing to do with Google, as OE is accessing a true
    NNTP server.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, May 31, 2004
  9. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    To Demon:

    Well, I need to check Google the next time I'm at work. If the latest
    activity on Google is dated more than 3 days before the present, then I know
    it is Google's problem. If, however, Google from work is up to date, then
    there is something wrong at my ISP or at my home system.

    Thanks,

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004
  10. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Top post replying to TrentC:

    That will be fine! I'm sure I wasn't banned. : ) I am answering you
    through my Outlook newsreader(for lack of the official name). I can see all
    outgoing and incoming posts here, including your's truly.

    I can see all incoming and outgoing activity through Google up only to May
    27th, and I use it specifically because no messages - or malicious
    material! - comes near my harddrive.

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004
  11. ChrisCoaster

    heavenbound Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Chris, are you using any kind of dialup accelerator software?
    >

    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > update

    > are
    > > > some
    > > >
    > > > As you can for IE 5 as well, but I agree he should update to 6.
    > > >

    > > _______________________
    > > I am back using my Outlook express newsreader which is up to the minute.
    > >
    > > Hmmm..Could it be my ISP's server?? That wouldn't make sense because if

    > it
    > > isn't refreshing Google since 5/27 then it wouldn't refresh HERE.
    > >
    > > yours truly,
    > >
    > > -Pissed

    dial up accelerator would not cause this problem. it only supposedly speeds
    up downloading of web pages by compression.
    heavenbound, May 31, 2004
  12. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    "heavenbound" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > Chris, are you using any kind of dialup accelerator software?
    > >

    > > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > > update

    there
    > > are

    > > > _______________________
    > > > I am back using my Outlook express newsreader which is up to the

    minute.

    > > > Hmmm..Could it be my ISP's server?? That wouldn't make sense because

    if
    > > it
    > > > isn't refreshing Google since 5/27 then it wouldn't refresh HERE.
    > > >
    > > > yours truly,
    > > >
    > > > -Pissed
    > > >

    > dial up accelerator would not cause this problem. it only supposedly

    speeds
    > up downloading of web pages by compression.

    Some use a proxy server that compresses, but also caches frequently visited
    pages, so the pages being retrieved may not be as up to date as if they were
    being pulled directly from the website's server.
    Thor, May 31, 2004
  13. ChrisCoaster

    heavenbound Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "heavenbound" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > > Chris, are you using any kind of dialup accelerator software?
    > > >

    > > > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    should

    > there
    > > > are

    > minute.

    because
    > if
    > > > it

    > > dial up accelerator would not cause this problem. it only supposedly

    > speeds
    > > up downloading of web pages by compression.

    > Some use a proxy server that compresses, but also caches frequently

    visited
    > pages, so the pages being retrieved may not be as up to date as if they

    were
    > being pulled directly from the website's server.

    i didn't think of that.
    heavenbound, May 31, 2004
  14. ChrisCoaster

    ric Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > Well, I need to check Google the next time I'm at work. If the latest
    > activity on Google is dated more than 3 days before the present, then I know
    > it is Google's problem. If, however, Google from work is up to date, then
    > there is something wrong at my ISP or at my home system.

    A search of http://groups.google.com at NOON PDT on 05/31/04 shows
    TEN threads of alt.computer that were entered on 05/31/04. Not bad
    for Google.
    ric, May 31, 2004
  15. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    I noticed something, Ric: This morning I typed in www.google.com directly
    and navigated to the group links in the alphabetized section. By going the
    "long" way, I got all activity up to today. Alas, just before replying to
    you, at 4:30 Eastern Time, I did the "long" way, and again got FUCKING
    ACTIVITY UP TO ONLY MAY 27!!!!!! When I use bookmarks to groups under
    Favorites, it always goes back to May 27th. Here's the clincher though:
    Each time I go to MSNBC or CNN, I always see a page with the notification
    "Updated (within the last hour) date/2004". So websites with constantly
    changing content ARE updating, or else I would be seeing news articles still
    anticipating events such as the Indy 500 and the dedication of DC's WW2
    Memorial. : )

    So I get May 27th 100% of time using my bookmarks, and 50% of the time when
    navigating directly. WTF?!?!

    Is it possible that regardless of how I got to Google that somehow Internet
    Explorer is reverting to a cached version trapped somewhere in my
    hard-drive?? And if that IS the case, then why is it happening only with
    Google, and not with cable news websites and other frequent updaters?

    This is getting annoying as I often have multiple correspondences going on
    at once in multiple ngs.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, May 31, 2004
  16. ChrisCoaster

    Michael-NC Guest

    Try to dump your cach and see what happens.

    Michael-NC, May 31, 2004
  17. Try these steps:

    First print this out to follow along as opposed to doing this with OE open.

    Open Internet Explorer

    Click on the Tools menu at the top

    Click on the Internet Options choice

    Click on the General tab

    In the Temporary Internet Files section click on the Delete Files button
    When you get the pop-up box, check the box to Delete All Offline Content
    Click OK

    Click on Delete Cookies and tell it OK

    In the History section, Click on Clear History button
    'Are you sure?' click yes

    Now click the Advanced tab on the top

    Scroll down to the Security section and check Empty Temporary Internet Files
    folder when browser is closed
    Click on Apply
    Click on OK
    (note... if this box is already ticked... IE5&5.5 were known to lose this
    setting now and then. Uncheck it and click Apply and then check it again and
    hit Apply again... then OK your way out.

    Close Internet Explorer

    (I even go so far as to reboot at this point, although that's not
    technically necessary, I guess, I just do it.)

    IE5 had some flaky caching issues, and OE shares quite a bit with IE... not
    sure it will help your situation, but it seems to me that it may be worth a
    try, if nothing else, it will keep your system running a little leaner.

    HTH

    Jess Fertudei, May 31, 2004
  18. ChrisCoaster

    ric Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > Is it possible that regardless of how I got to Google that somehow Internet
    > Explorer is reverting to a cached version trapped somewhere in my
    > hard-drive?? And if that IS the case, then why is it happening only with
    > Google, and not with cable news websites and other frequent updaters?

    I doubt it. Try going to http://groups.google.com and entering the
    group of your choice. You should get the latest.
    ric, Jun 1, 2004
  19. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    It's not Ric, I just tried it. I will find out what happens when I access
    google from work. If it's still 5/27 at work, then google has a problem.
    if not, then I have the problem. Like I said previously, when using
    bookmarks, I get 5/27 and earlier 100% of the time. When I type in directly
    and navigate Google to newsgroups, I get 6/1 and earlier 50% of the time.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 1, 2004
  20. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Thanks Jess. I will indicate what I have done below: Scroll down for my
    ayes or nays:

    "Jess Fertudei" <> wrote in message
    > Try these steps:
    >
    > First print this out to follow along as opposed to doing this with OE

    open.

    > Open Internet Explorer
    >
    > Click on the Tools menu at the top
    >
    > Click on the Internet Options choice
    >
    > Click on the General tab
    >
    > In the Temporary Internet Files section click on the Delete Files button
    > When you get the pop-up box, check the box to Delete All Offline Content
    > Click OK

    Did all that, Jess. The only problem is when I manually go onto Windows >
    Temporary Internet Files, I still find several megs of shit that IE didn't
    delete! So I have to delete it manually.

    > Click on Delete Cookies and tell it OK

    Don't see a button specifically for Cookies - perhaps that is for IE6.x?

    > In the History section, Click on Clear History button
    > 'Are you sure?' click yes

    Did. History is set to last 5 days.

    > Now click the Advanced tab on the top
    >
    > Scroll down to the Security section and check Empty Temporary Internet

    Files
    > folder when browser is closed
    > Click on Apply
    > Click on OK
    > (note... if this box is already ticked... IE5&5.5 were known to lose this
    > setting now and then. Uncheck it and click Apply and then check it again

    and
    > hit Apply again... then OK your way out.

    Did

    > Close Internet Explorer

    All done, Jess!

    > (I even go so far as to reboot at this point, although that's not
    > technically necessary, I guess, I just do it.)
    >

    > IE5 had some flaky caching issues, and OE shares quite a bit with IE...

    not
    > sure it will help your situation, but it seems to me that it may be worth

    > try, if nothing else, it will keep your system running a little leaner.

    Well as I have been saying, newsgroups on Outlook Express is up to the
    minute. It is when I browse this and other newsgroups via Google on IE that
    I am 5 or so days behind. I will check Google at work and see if it is
    stuck on May 27th there also. If so, I'll just wait for Google to fix their
    issues.

    BTW -

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 1, 2004