Google Street View. Was that their car I saw yesterday?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
    camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
    adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
    on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

    I also tried to get a snap of it as it came out of the adjacent cul-de-sac
    but my 1.3MP phone camera's screen is hard to see in sunlight and I got a
    pic of the car with the tripod obscured by a tree and the resolution isn't
    good enough to read the sign.

    I know that all of the Australian cities have been re-photographed in the
    last couple months by Google as I saw an article on t'webs about the fact
    that, at each city's Google offices the staff know when the car's coming
    past and most put on a bit of a 'display' outside that will be in the pics.
    The article said that most cities around the world are being re-photographed
    with better resolution cameras.

    Anyone know anything about this? I would have put on my own little 'display'
    if I'd know that they were coming. If it was them at least the pics will be
    better than the current ones of my home, Last time t'was winter, grey and
    muddy and the gardens were a mess. (Perhaps I should get a screenshot of the
    current one in case it is updated.) Same 25 y/o car in the drive though. :-/
    Heh! At least when it went for it's WOF last week it didn't need any work
    done, a clean bill of health.

    After it left I was pondering what an amazing archive Google Street View
    will be for future archaeologists. So much data on a very personal level. An
    amazing project.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 17, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:13:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
    >camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
    >adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
    >on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

    Just out of curiosity, what area was that?

    PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
    much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.
    Donchano, Nov 17, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
    > camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
    > adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
    > on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

    If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks ago.
    Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of optics and
    electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the intersection I
    drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it, so either they
    haven't updated the database yet, or they used images from one of the
    other passes of that intersection.

    Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science
    fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?
    Kelvin Throop III
    Squiggle, Nov 18, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:30:03 +1300, "geoff" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >

    >> PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
    >> much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.

    >As in Pink Floyd.

    At least it's not just another brick.
    Donchano, Nov 18, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Nov 18, 1:10 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    > the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks ago.
    >   Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of optics and
    > electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the intersection I
    > drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it, so either they
    > haven't updated the database yet, or they used images from one of the
    > other passes of that intersection.

    And if it is a white 4WD, it is probably one of Terralinks ones. But
    the one I saw was covered in a lot of signwriting about what it was
    for, so if it was one of theirs you probably wouldn't need to ask :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 18, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
    >> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
    >> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
    >> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
    >> aren't what they used to be...

    > If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    > the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    > ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    > optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    > intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
    > so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
    > from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed pic, had a
    person in it]:

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg

    Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise it was
    behind the tree.

    I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get uploaded.
    Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now, prbably to make sure
    that they don't have fornicating dogs or something similar in shot....
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
    >> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
    >> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
    >> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
    >> aren't what they used to be...

    > If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    > the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    > ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    > optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    > intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
    > so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
    > from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small car.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2009
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:13:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
    >> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
    >> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
    >> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
    >> aren't what they used to be...

    > Just out of curiosity, what area was that?

    Pukekohe.

    > PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
    > much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.

    LOL, yeah, depending on the area. My home and section are quite clear.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2009
  9. ~misfit~

    Matty F Guest

    On Nov 18, 12:13 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
    > camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
    > adjacent one and then continued back down the street.

    The guy in the US who had kidnapped that girl for years saw the
    Streetview car and followed it in his van. So there are lots of
    pictures of his van!
    Matty F, Nov 19, 2009
  10. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
    >>> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
    >>> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
    >>> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
    >>> aren't what they used to be...

    >> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    >> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    >> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    >> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    >> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
    >> so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
    >> from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    > My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed pic, had a
    > person in it]:
    >
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg
    >
    > Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise it was
    > behind the tree.
    >
    > I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get uploaded.
    > Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now, prbably to make sure
    > that they don't have fornicating dogs or something similar in shot....

    Ah, I see the problem, you're running windows, if you were running
    HollywoodOS you could zoom in, sharpen the image, zoom some more and
    read the logo on the door, and probably see the gunman on the grassy
    knoll in the reflection of the windscreen :p

    Squiggle, Nov 19, 2009
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >>> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    >>> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    >>> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    >>> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    >>> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards
    >>> it, so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used
    >>> images from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    >> My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed
    >> pic, had a person in it]:
    >>
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg
    >>
    >> Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise
    >> it was behind the tree.
    >>
    >> I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get
    >> uploaded. Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now,
    >> prbably to make sure that they don't have fornicating dogs or
    >> something similar in shot....

    > Ah, I see the problem, you're running windows, if you were running
    > HollywoodOS you could zoom in, sharpen the image, zoom some more and
    > read the logo on the door, and probably see the gunman on the grassy
    > knoll in the reflection of the windscreen :p

    LOL! Oddly enough a very similar thing went through my head when I was
    uploading the pic.

    GMTA huh? <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2009
  12. ~misfit~

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <he0i8h$6hl$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
    > >> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
    > >> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
    > >> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
    > >> aren't what they used to be...

    > > If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    > > the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    > > ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    > > optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    > > intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
    > > so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
    > > from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    > In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small car.

    Hey Shaun

    Either they have more than one of these little black Barinas or the one
    you saw is very very quik as I saw the very same car about 10 days ago
    when out walking dog. Tried to get close but it moved on too quick and
    was gone. The tripod seemed really large for the car and I wondered how
    it would cope with wind etc. Was obviously a mapping vehicle of some
    sorts so your post would seem to point to google.

    Oh way down south here in Mosgiel is where I spotted it. He he if I'd
    thought quickly would have done something too ( theatrical LOL ). One of
    my boys mates is in the older views of the streets out here riding his
    bike. They enjoyed seeing someone they know and his folks were upset was
    caught with helmet hanging from handle bars <g>.

    I wonder if others are caught out in awkward or compromising acts thru
    this. Must be a few I'd guess.

    bAZZ

    ps. Just getting back online again full time so will drop you a line
    shortly. Gotta give me oldest back this laptop once school is out for
    day. Selfish little rats these teenagers. Trust alls well with you
    anyway mate. Later.
    bAZZ, Nov 19, 2009
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bAZZ wrote:
    > In article <he0i8h$6hl$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
    >>> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
    >>> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
    >>> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
    >>> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards
    >>> it, so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used
    >>> images from one of the other passes of that intersection.

    >> In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small
    >> car.

    > Hey Shaun

    bAZZ! Good to 'see' you mate!

    > Either they have more than one of these little black Barinas or the
    > one you saw is very very quik as I saw the very same car about 10
    > days ago when out walking dog. Tried to get close but it moved on too
    > quick and was gone. The tripod seemed really large for the car and I
    > wondered how it would cope with wind etc. Was obviously a mapping
    > vehicle of some sorts so your post would seem to point to google.

    Yeah, I think they have more than one and it's possible that they were
    bought over from Aus as they've just finished re-photographing over there (I
    think). Yep, it's a pretty big tripod structure on top, not the sort of
    thing you'd miss.

    I've Googled for the article I read a few weeks back (irony) and it's here:

    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...ther-for-street-view-stunt-20091106-i1e0.html

    Holden Astras in Aus at least. I think that's what I saw, at least the
    'tripod' part anyway.

    > Oh way down south here in Mosgiel is where I spotted it. He he if I'd
    > thought quickly would have done something too ( theatrical LOL ). One
    > of my boys mates is in the older views of the streets out here riding
    > his bike. They enjoyed seeing someone they know and his folks were
    > upset was caught with helmet hanging from handle bars <g>.
    >
    > I wonder if others are caught out in awkward or compromising acts thru
    > this. Must be a few I'd guess.

    Yeah, there are stories... Some guy was caught walking out of a sex shop and
    his wife didn't get any gifts (or similar). I remember when it first went
    live a couple years back that Google had to photoshop a few people out...

    > ps. Just getting back online again full time so will drop you a line
    > shortly. Gotta give me oldest back this laptop once school is out for
    > day. Selfish little rats these teenagers. Trust alls well with you
    > anyway mate. Later.

    Cool. Yeah, life's bearable. <g> It'll be good to hear from you.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2009