Google Spam

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. Guest

    So tired ofgmail spam wrote:

    >How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    >from gmail and google groups?


    "just right click on whatever message it is you want to
    delete. click on "author - address only" and take out everything
    before @google.com. then click ok, or whatever. after that,
    anyone who posts using an address that contains "@google.com"
    will be deleted from your newsreader. or marked read if you so
    choose." http://tinyurl.com/35ypdw

    Nfilter
    http://www.nfilter.org/

    Or Hamster, Google: newsgroup hamster

    I need to decide which one to use myself.
    --

    The New 7 Wonders Panoramas
    http://www.popgive.com/2008/03/new-7-wonders-panoramas.html
     
    , Mar 24, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:30:59 -0600


    Every time I have posted today, my time is off from the OP's, yet mine
    is fine.

    Just saying it ain't me.

    --

    Commander Keen
    http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/
     
    , Mar 24, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    from gmail and google groups?
     
    So tired ofgmail spam, Mar 24, 2008
    #3
  4. VanguardLH Guest

    <So tired ofgmail spam> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    > from gmail and google groups?



    "@gmail" should be in the sender info so you can make a rule for that.

    To see if a post came through Google Groups, look for "googlegroups" in
    the Message-ID header.
     
    VanguardLH, Mar 25, 2008
    #4
  5. Trent SC Guest

    > Every time I have posted today, my time is off from the OP's, yet mine
    > is fine.
    >
    > Just saying it ain't me.


    It might be your time zone.
     
    Trent SC, Mar 25, 2008
    #5
  6. elaich Guest

    So tired ofgmail spam wrote in news:lqfgu3l0cosp5q2r0q3vv3qsv0ef9ogtd8@
    4ax.com:

    > How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    > from gmail and google groups?


    Try reading the group. The thread discussing this is right above the one
    you just started.
     
    elaich, Mar 25, 2008
    #6
  7. TJ Guest

    elaich <|@|.|> wrote in news::

    > So tired ofgmail spam wrote in news:lqfgu3l0cosp5q2r0q3vv3qsv0ef9ogtd8@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    >> How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    >> from gmail and google groups?

    >
    > Try reading the group. The thread discussing this is right above the one
    > you just started.


    And remember that gmail and googlegroups are two different things.

    Many legitimate posters use gmail addresses, while few googlegroup posters
    are legitimate. :)

    That said, if I HAD a gmail address, I'd dump it on principal.

    I wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the spam haven google has
    become.
     
    TJ, Mar 25, 2008
    #7
  8. On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:30:59 -0600, wrote:

    > So tired ofgmail spam wrote:
    >
    >>How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    >>from gmail and google groups?

    >
    >"just right click on whatever message it is you want to
    >delete. click on "author - address only" and take out everything
    >before @google.com. then click ok, or whatever. after that,
    >anyone who posts using an address that contains "@google.com"
    >will be deleted from your newsreader. or marked read if you so
    >choose." http://tinyurl.com/35ypdw
    >
    >Nfilter
    >http://www.nfilter.org/
    >
    >Or Hamster, Google: newsgroup hamster
    >
    >I need to decide which one to use myself.


    Thanks, I tried that and it didn't really work since the spammer uses
    a fake email. Somehow I need to get agent to read the header field,
    see that it is from gmail or google groups and delete the message. See
    the headers below; I need to get the news reader to parse the header
    for the posting path.



    Path:
    border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    From:
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Casio Phys Walk and Calorie Blue Digital Unisex Watch
    STR400-2V
    Replica
    Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
    Organization: http://groups.google.com
    Lines: 116
    Message-ID:
    <>
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 218.20.241.16
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Trace: posting.google.com 1206419571 18513 127.0.0.1 (25 Mar 2008
    04:32:51 GMT)
    X-Complaints-To:
    NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:32:51 +0000 (UTC)
    Complaints-To:
    Injection-Info: e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com;
    posting-host=218.20.241.16;
    posting-account=b40-tQoAAAAYsTc9XpThTsk2E5bjO-sm
    User-Agent: G2/1.0
    X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
    SV1;
    TheWorld),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
    Bytes: 6539
    Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com 24hoursupport.helpdesk:1573583
     
    tired of gmailspam, Mar 25, 2008
    #8
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    tired of gmailspam wrote:

    > Thanks, I tried that and it didn't really work since the spammer uses
    > a fake email.


    When you say 'I tried that' to a reply that includes a broad group of
    solutions, some of which are not very good, you should say 'I tried
    filtering on the From, which is a bad strategy.

    > Somehow I need to get agent to read the header field,
    > see that it is from gmail or google groups and delete the message. See
    > the headers below; I need to get the news reader to parse the header
    > for the posting path.


    What needs to happen is that Agent needs help to filter on a useful
    header field which appears in the overview from the newsserver.
    Blinky's site discusses helping agent with Nfilter, which was mentioned
    in the previous post.

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html FreeAgent and Agent -- FreeAgent
    and Agent also cannot filter on the Message-ID header. - NewsProxy -
    Include the following line in your nfilter.dat file in the program
    directory:

    * drop Message-ID:*googlegroups*


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Mar 25, 2008
    #9
  10. On 25 Mar 2008 14:10:49 GMT, elaich <|@|.|> wrote:

    >So tired ofgmail spam wrote in news:lqfgu3l0cosp5q2r0q3vv3qsv0ef9ogtd8@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam coming
    >> from gmail and google groups?

    >
    >Try reading the group. The thread discussing this is right above the one
    >you just started.


    Try fucking yourself asshole.
     
    tired of gmailspam, Mar 25, 2008
    #10
  11. wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:30:59 -0600,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> So tired ofgmail spam wrote:
    >>
    >>>How can I set a filter up in agent to filter all of the spam
    >>>coming from gmail and google groups?

    >>
    >>"just right click on whatever message it is you want to
    >>delete. click on "author - address only" and take out
    >>everything before @google.com. then click ok, or whatever.
    >>after that, anyone who posts using an address that contains
    >>"@google.com" will be deleted from your newsreader. or marked
    >>read if you so choose." http://tinyurl.com/35ypdw
    >>
    >>Nfilter
    >>http://www.nfilter.org/
    >>
    >>Or Hamster, Google: newsgroup hamster
    >>
    >>I need to decide which one to use myself.

    >
    > Thanks, I tried that and it didn't really work since the spammer
    > uses a fake email. Somehow I need to get agent to read the


    That's exactly why one filters on the Message-ID header which
    shows the post to be GG post. Not on the From header.

    > Message-ID:
    ><a8f9b92f-6bd8-480d-8e3b-57b7a370ff50

    @e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
     
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2008
    #11
  12. elaich Guest

    TJ <> wrote in
    news::

    > And remember that gmail and googlegroups are two different things.


    Has nothing to do with what I said. I said to read the group. There's
    already an active thread about it. Why start another one?
     
    elaich, Mar 26, 2008
    #12
  13. elaich Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    news::

    > That's exactly why one filters on the Message-ID header which
    > shows the post to be GG post. Not on the From header.


    They are using crap newsreaders to begin with, blinky. No surprise that
    they are failing.
     
    elaich, Mar 26, 2008
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stefano
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    4,431
    Moz Champion
    Feb 9, 2005
  2. SW Monkey
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    2,066
  3. C A Preston

    Spam-Spam and more Spam

    C A Preston, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    635
    Hywel
    Apr 12, 2004
  4. nota chance

    in the valley of spam stupidity on spam removing

    nota chance, Aug 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    546
    Blinky the Shark
    Aug 8, 2004
  5. Clwddncr
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    724
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Feb 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page