Google Search

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in message
    > When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I
    > ran a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought
    > the more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going
    > on? Am I missing something important?
    > Luke

    I all depends on how you enter the words.

    Click "Advanced Search" on the right of the text box.
    Put quotes ("") around your search words.
    Use the "Search within results" link at the bottom of the page.
    Use "and" between each word.

    eg "emu and 1212m and firewire" give 20,100 hits.
    Searching 'within results' for 'downloads on this result reduced the hits to
    5,520.

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, Mar 25, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Stone Crusher wrote:
    > When I ran a google search

    The term 'google search' is ambiguous to me, because I generally use
    google advanced search, so to me google search means google advanced
    search -- I guess I have to assume that google search means to you that
    you just plug in terms to the 'regular' google search tool -- which terms
    do not have operators like AND or OR.

    > for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When
    > I ran a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I
    > thought the more things I had to search for the less I would find.

    According to googlesearchhelp, the concept 'every word matters' also
    includes the concept 'except when it doesn't'.

    In order to investigate your question more thoroughly, I guess you should
    examine some significant subset or all of the hits and see how many of
    them contain 3 strings and how many contain 2 strings and how many only
    contain 1 string.

    > What's going on? Am I missing something important?

    To me the most important thing you are missing is that the number of hits
    on a search isn't a useful or even relevant piece of information - in the
    context of finding what you are actually looking for. That is, you aren't
    going to examine 80000 or 300000 pages -- or likely even 80 or 300 pages,
    so the numbers of tens of thousands of hits is 'relatively' irrelevant.

    --
    Mike Easter

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 25, 2009
  4. PeeCee

    johncapleton Guest

    Use this format for your search to limit the choices:
    +"Emu 1212m" +firewire
    The wildcard + makes each item manditory, and the "Emu 1212m" makes the
    complete phrase manditory...

    ----

    ICQ UIN: 17241789
    ----

    johncapleton, Mar 25, 2009
  5. PeeCee

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-25, The Stone Crusher <> wrote:
    > When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I ran
    > a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
    > more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on? Am
    > I missing something important?
    > Luke

    So Google thinks there are 79,800 pages which contain either the word Emu
    or the 'word' 1212m. Some of those pages could contain both words. Then
    Google thinks there are 278,000 pages that contain 'Emu' or '1212m' or
    'firewire'. Some of those pages could contain two of those words, or even
    all three. But what Google thinks constitute different pages isn't
    necessarily what any reasonably sane human would see as different pages,
    so the number of pages claimed by Google is meaningless once it gets into
    double figures. Then there are all the web pages Google doesn't know
    about at all, and then there's the rest of the internet.

    I think what you are missing is the information Google provide if you go
    to 'Advanced Search' and then 'Advanced Search Tips'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 26, 2009
  6. The Stone Crusher wrote:
    > When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I ran
    > a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
    > more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on? Am
    > I missing something important?
    > Luke

    Try using the Force?

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 26, 2009
  7. Thanks

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  8. This is real help. It makes it possible to narrow down the search.
    Thanks

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  9. thanks

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009