    trolls start, right off the side of the page, so why won't it display
    others?

    RL

    Rusty Lillico, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Rusty Lillico

    Michael Guest

    In news:LXIMa.94084$,
    Rusty Lillico <> wrote:

    > I was pawing around in Google Groups for past 24hoursupport. threads
    > and came across one that I had started last week and which petered
    > out after only one response. Imagine my surprise to discover that,
    > in fact, the thread went on to several more posts, including one
    > (from Mike - thanx, belatedly!) that had a lot of the exact info I
    > was asking for. None of these replies show up in my reader (OE) past
    > the first one. Now I feel I have to go to Google to find out if
    > anyone is replying to my posts...
    >
    > My reader seems happy to follow those stupid flame-war threads that
    > the trolls start, right off the side of the page, so why won't it
    > display others?
    >
    > RL

    Ahhh... I've been having a bit of an issue with Newsguy for a long time over
    exactly this trouble.

    Their HTTP news service shows pretty much every message that ever hits any
    NG they carry, but OE misses a lot of posts (sometimes as much as 25% of
    them in any group.)

    I've watched it happen: I click a group to read it, it fetches the list of
    new messages and I see the group's "unread messages" counter go up (let's
    say by 25 or so) then it immediately goes down by some number (let's say by
    5)... and 20 headers will get fetched. Watch yours next time you d/l some
    messages/headers, and you might see the same thing happening.

    If I then go look at Newsguy's HTTP mirror listing of that group's messages,
    I'll find that there are exactly 5 more messages there than OE reports, and
    the "extras" are the ones missing from OE's NNTP listing.

    I've been complaining to Newsguy about this for *years* now (in every
    version of OE that I've used, so I'd figgered it was a Newsguy problem...)
    and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone else mention it.

    Maybe it's really a bug in OE that no one's noticed (or that someone has
    noticed but not bothered to fix) yet.

    ((U))
    "OE. Randomly ignoring important NG posts since 1996."

    Michael, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Rusty Lillico

    Michael Guest

    In news:bdvqmd$119qnh$,
    Ionizer <> wrote:

    > Rusty:
    > Outlook Express has a couple of options that you can adjust. Click on
    > Tools|Options and have a look at the General tab. You can set it to
    > "check for messages" at specific intervals. More importantly
    > perhaps: under the Read tab and under the News heading: Get xxx
    > Headers at a time. Increase that number from what you have it set at
    > currently. You may miss postings in busier newsgroups if that number
    > is set too low.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I have OE set to fetch 1000 at a time (the maximum), Ian. OE still
    isses - or more accurately, it ignores - posts, and has done so for
    years... even in NG's that see only a couple of dozen posts per day.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Rusty Lillico

    °Mike° Guest

    Use a real news reader.

    Agent
    http://www.forteinc.com

    XNews
    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:23:39 GMT, in
    <LXIMa.94084$>
    Rusty Lillico scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Rusty Lillico

    Woody Guest

    Uncheck the "Get ### headers at a time" box in Tools, Options, Read. OE
    will download all headers if unchecked. Also, to see your post after
    posting to the group, click Tools, Get New Headers.

    Good luck

    Woody

    Woody, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Rusty Lillico

    Josef Knecht Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote:

    >In news:bdvqmd$119qnh$,
    >Ionizer <> wrote:
    >
    >> Rusty:
    >> Outlook Express has a couple of options that you can adjust. Click on
    >> Tools|Options and have a look at the General tab. You can set it to
    >> "check for messages" at specific intervals. More importantly
    >> perhaps: under the Read tab and under the News heading: Get xxx
    >> Headers at a time. Increase that number from what you have it set at
    >> currently. You may miss postings in busier newsgroups if that number
    >> is set too low.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ian.

    >I have OE set to fetch 1000 at a time (the maximum), Ian. OE still
    >isses - or more accurately, it ignores - posts, and has done so for
    >years... even in NG's that see only a couple of dozen posts per day.
    >
    >((U))

    What makes you think that a thousand messages at a time is the
    maximum?

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Rusty Lillico

    Michael Guest

    In news:,
    Josef Knecht <> wrote:

    > "Michael" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:bdvqmd$119qnh$,
    >> Ionizer <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rusty:
    >>> Outlook Express has a couple of options that you can adjust. Click
    >>> on Tools|Options and have a look at the General tab. You can set
    >>> it to "check for messages" at specific intervals. More importantly
    >>> perhaps: under the Read tab and under the News heading: Get xxx
    >>> Headers at a time. Increase that number from what you have it set
    >>> at currently. You may miss postings in busier newsgroups if that
    >>> number is set too low.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ian.

    >> I have OE set to fetch 1000 at a time (the maximum), Ian. OE still
    >> isses - or more accurately, it ignores - posts, and has done so for
    >> years... even in NG's that see only a couple of dozen posts per day.
    >>
    >> ((U))

    > What makes you think that a thousand messages at a time is the
    > maximum?

    Uhhh... perhaps the strongest clue I have is the fact that if I try setting
    it to 1001, OE refuses, and pops a box up at me instead that says "Please
    enter a number between 50 and 1000 for downloading headers."

    ((U))
    "Everything to excess! Moderation is for monks!"

    Michael, Jul 3, 2003
  8. "Michael" <> wrote in

    > In news:,
    > Josef Knecht <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have OE set to fetch 1000 at a time (the maximum),

    >> What makes you think that a thousand messages at a time is the
    >> maximum?

    > Uhhh... perhaps the strongest clue I have is the fact that if I try
    > setting it to 1001, OE refuses, and pops a box up at me instead that
    > says "Please enter a number between 50 and 1000 for downloading
    > headers."

    Unchecking the box downloads all headers, which can be more than 1000.

    Santiago Zawojski, Jul 4, 2003
  9. Rusty Lillico

    Josef Knecht Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Josef Knecht <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael" <> wrote:

    >>> I have OE set to fetch 1000 at a time (the maximum), Ian. OE still
    >>> isses - or more accurately, it ignores - posts, and has done so for
    >>> years... even in NG's that see only a couple of dozen posts per day.
    >>>
    >>> ((U))
    >>> M

    >> What makes you think that a thousand messages at a time is the
    >> maximum?

    >Uhhh... perhaps the strongest clue I have is the fact that if I try setting
    >it to 1001, OE refuses, and pops a box up at me instead that says "Please
    >enter a number between 50 and 1000 for downloading headers."

    <Uhhh>
    Uncheck the box & get way more than a thousand headers/messages.
    </Uhhh>

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jul 4, 2003
  10. Rusty Lillico

    Michael Guest

    In news:,
    Josef Knecht <> wrote:

    > "Michael" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Josef Knecht <> wrote:

    >>> What makes you think that a thousand messages at a time is the
    >>> maximum?

    >> Uhhh... perhaps the strongest clue I have is the fact that if I try
    >> setting it to 1001, OE refuses, and pops a box up at me instead
    >> that says "Please enter a number between 50 and 1000 for downloading
    >> headers."

    > <Uhhh>
    > Uncheck the box & get way more than a thousand headers/messages.
    > </Uhhh>

    <smirk>
    Nope. Do you actually *use* OE?

    1000 per fetch is the max (and it's the default if you don't check the box.)
    If I unsub from this NG, close OE, and then open OE again and resub...
    Newsguy carries a whole month's worth of posts to read if I want to... it
    takes 45 "new headers" fetches or more to get the entire group's headers
    loaded.

    Why would I *do* that, you ask? I don't, but any masochists reading this
    might like it if they try.
    </smirk>

    ((U))
    "This tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds. Good luck, Jim."

    Michael, Jul 4, 2003
  11. Rusty Lillico

    Josef Knecht Guest

    Michael doodled:
    > In news:,
    > Josef Knecht <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael" <> wrote:

    >>> Uhhh... perhaps the strongest clue I have is the fact that if I try
    >>> setting it to 1001, OE refuses, and pops a box up at me instead
    >>> that says "Please enter a number between 50 and 1000 for downloading
    >>> headers."

    >> <Uhhh>
    >> Uncheck the box & get way more than a thousand headers/messages.
    >> </Uhhh>

    > <humility>
    > I take it back.
    >
    > For some reason, the check box wasn't staying unchecked (I dunno..
    > maybe I clicked "cancel" instead of "apply").
    >
    > Now there's no default fetch quota, and OE can merrily gobble
    > thousands of headers at a gulp.
    >
    > Of what use this is for me, I'm not sure... but learning something
    > new each day is a good rule to live by. :)
    > </humility>
    >
    > ((U))

    Hey, at least you've proven you're not _completely_ clue-resistant. -6Þ

    Now all you need is OE-QuoteFix:
    http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    --

    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jul 7, 2003
  12. Rusty Lillico

    Michael Guest

    In news:beabga$3044e$,
    Josef Knecht <> wrote:

    > Michael doodled:
    >> In news:,
    >> Josef Knecht <> wrote:

    >>> <Uhhh>
    >>> Uncheck the box & get way more than a thousand headers/messages.
    >>> </Uhhh>

    >> <humility>
    >> I take it back.
    >>
    >> For some reason, the check box wasn't staying unchecked (I dunno..
    >> maybe I clicked "cancel" instead of "apply").
    >>
    >> Now there's no default fetch quota, and OE can merrily gobble
    >> thousands of headers at a gulp.
    >>
    >> Of what use this is for me, I'm not sure... but learning something
    >> new each day is a good rule to live by. :)
    >> </humility>
    >>
    >> ((U))

    > Hey, at least you've proven you're not _completely_ clue-resistant.
    > -6Þ
    >
    > Now all you need is OE-QuoteFix:
    > http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    Already got that... and it's operative as I type. :)

    Is it the MessageID and email addy refs above that rankle?

    ((U))
    "Sometimes it's handy to be able to fetch original posts that OE forgot to
    collect."

    Michael, Jul 7, 2003
  13. Rusty Lillico

    Josef Knecht Guest

    Michael doodled:
    > In news:beabga$3044e$,
    > Josef Knecht <> wrote:
    >
    >> Michael doodled:

    >>> <humility>
    >>> I take it back.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, the check box wasn't staying unchecked (I dunno..
    >>> maybe I clicked "cancel" instead of "apply").
    >>>
    >>> Now there's no default fetch quota, and OE can merrily gobble
    >>> thousands of headers at a gulp.
    >>>
    >>> Of what use this is for me, I'm not sure... but learning something
    >>> new each day is a good rule to live by. :)
    >>> </humility>
    >>>
    >>> ((U))
    >>> M

    >> Hey, at least you've proven you're not _completely_ clue-resistant.
    >> -6Þ
    >>
    >> Now all you need is OE-QuoteFix:
    >> http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    > Already got that... and it's operative as I type. :)
    >
    > Is it the MessageID and email addy refs above that rankle?
    >
    > ((U))

    Nothing rankles, dued. This is Usenet, not RL, although many here TINH will
    have you believe otherwise. ;o)

    --

    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jul 7, 2003
  14. Rusty Lillico

    trout Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > In news:beabga$3044e$,
    > Josef Knecht <> wrote:
    >> Now all you need is OE-QuoteFix:
    >> http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    > Already got that... and it's operative as I type. :)
    >
    > Is it the MessageID and email addy refs above that rankle?
    >
    > ((U))

    You *may* want to shorten that up, a bit. For brevity's sake (not
    automatically snipped, like long, pointless sigs); and to not re-post
    addresses, if you reply to someone that doesn't know that they might not
    want it shown in public.
    --
    "Not everyone has a half-dozen to spare."

    trout, Jul 7, 2003