    google.fr automatically instead of google.ch (i'm french-speaking).

    Thanks for your help !

    Thomas
    Thomas, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Thomas

    Splibbilla Guest

    Thomas <> in news:42090830$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google window on the top-right
    > corner, it opens automatically the www.google.ch website which is in
    > german... but i don't speak german.
    > I can understand that it opens google.ch since i'm located in
    > Switzerland (though I don't know how it can know that and how to change
    > that)... but how to configure this google tool in Firefox to be on
    > google.fr automatically instead of google.ch (i'm french-speaking).
    >
    > Thanks for your help !
    >
    > Thomas

    in the optoins, there might be a language selection.

    or maybe...
    in folder
    searchplugins
    there might be a google.src
    that you can open wiht text editor (notepad) to change teh http to your langauge google.

    you also *might* have to comment-out the update function, or ff might 'update' teh src back to google-wrong-language. i
    assume that would happen.

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?
    Splibbilla, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Thomas

    Neil Guest

    Thomas wrote:

    > I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google window on the top-right
    > corner, it opens automatically the www.google.ch website which is in
    > german... but i don't speak german.
    > I can understand that it opens google.ch since i'm located in
    > Switzerland (though I don't know how it can know that and how to
    > change that)... but how to configure this google tool in Firefox to be
    > on google.fr automatically instead of google.ch (i'm french-speaking).

    I don't know how it would work in FireFox but in the Suite it might help
    set your language preference to fr-ch.

    --
    Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
    Neil, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Neil a écrit :

    > Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google window on the top-right
    >> corner, it opens automatically the www.google.ch website which is in
    >> german... but i don't speak german.
    >> I can understand that it opens google.ch since i'm located in
    >> Switzerland (though I don't know how it can know that and how to
    >> change that)... but how to configure this google tool in Firefox to
    >> be on google.fr automatically instead of google.ch (i'm
    >> french-speaking).

    > I don't know how it would work in FireFox but in the Suite it might
    > help set your language preference to fr-ch.

    Indeed my language preference is first French (french-ch, french-fr...)
    then english. No mention of the german. So i doesn't fix the problem. I
    think the explanation above stating that google is redirecting to
    google.ch (which default language is german) automatically might be the
    correct one.
    So not possible to change that ?
    Of course i downloaded other search engines in the search bar (including
    google FR) but the default search item at the opening will be always
    google.com, right ?? ('cuz i tried to rename the google FR src file with
    the goole src default file thinking that it will replace it but it
    doesn't work...)
    Thomas, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    It seems to work,

    Thank you

    Thomas, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Thomas <> writes:

    > I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google window on the top-right
    > corner, it opens automatically the www.google.ch website which is in
    > german... but i don't speak german.

    I had the same problem: I am English but live in Germany. English is
    still my preferred language. I think Google must lookup you IP address or
    something.

    IIRC my solution was to configure Google, not Firefox. Go to Google,
    find the preferences and select your preferred language and save the
    preferences. I guess it saves a cookie to remember it for next time.

    --
    Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://home.arcor.de/zoxed
    Gentoo Linux, Fvwm, Firefox | Xemacs, vm, Gnus
    Simon Kellett, Feb 12, 2005