    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 5, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Alden Bates Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Anyone got any kind of info as to how they generate it?
    >
    >I only ask as Im now third when people search for "Dave Hall" with or
    >without quotes.
    >
    >I had read that they do it on the number of links to my site, but who in
    >their right mind would like to it?

    Your position in the search results is governed by a large number of
    factors, one of which is how many people link to you, but also the
    text used to link to you, on-page text, etc, etc etc.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=link:http://www.dave.net.nz/

    All the links to your page it lists are from SETI @Home.

    Alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com

    Alden Bates, Mar 5, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone got any kind of info as to how they generate it?
    >
    > I only ask as Im now third when people search for "Dave Hall" with or
    > without quotes.
    >
    > I had read that they do it on the number of links to my site, but who in
    > their right mind would like to it?
    >
    > Could it be reading it from my sig and counting them as links? if so,
    > that'd make sense.

    Have a read of Bruce Simpson's stuff about rankings.

    http://www.aardvark.co.nz/marketing/

    EMB

    EMB, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Alden Bates wrote:
    > Your position in the search results is governed by a large number of
    > factors, one of which is how many people link to you, but also the
    > text used to link to you, on-page text, etc, etc etc.
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=link:http://www.dave.net.nz/
    > All the links to your page it lists are from SETI @Home.

    ahh... thanks.

    --