Google promoters

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robin Hood, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Robin Hood

    Robin Hood Guest

    About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to search
    with google.

    If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    all.

    Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    results of the search don't help.

    I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or
    http://www.teoma.com/ or http://www.search.com or http://ask.com or
    http://www.about.com/ or http://www.aeiwi.com/ or http://www.whatuseek.com/
    or http://search.yahoo.com/ or http://www.qango.com/ or
    http://www.dogpile.com/ to name but a few.

    I just found a list of search engines at:
    http://www.internet-promoter.com/engines-directories.htm

    It even mentions google!

    Robin Hood, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Robin Hood

    Cubzilla Guest

    Someone hold oMIKEo back

    Cubzilla, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Robin Hood

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Then use it. Google is your friend.

    pcbutts1, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Robin Hood

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:28:40 +0100, in
    <413cba6d$0$20250$>
    Robin Hood scrawled:

    >About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to search
    >with google.

    Bull!

    >If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    >all.

    BZZZZZZZT! You don't get to dictate, in this group, or any other.
    Request denied.

    >Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    >results of the search don't help.

    BZZZZZZZT! Experience says otherwise. PPOSTFU.

    >I will spend hours searching with

    Then you are wasting time (with other search engines).

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Robin Hood spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <413cba6d$0$20250$>

    > About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to
    > search with google.

    I strongly urge you to google amishrakefight.org/gfy then to to that site.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, Sep 6, 2004
  6. Robin Hood

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Robin Hood vaguely muttered something like ...
    > About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to
    > search with google.

    Bollocks....

    > If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    > all.

    And what will you do to stop anyone posting however they wish ?

    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    > results of the search don't help.

    Bollocks ...

    > I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or
    > http://www.teoma.com/ or http://www.search.com or http://ask.com or
    > http://www.about.com/ or http://www.aeiwi.com/ or
    > http://www.whatuseek.com/ or http://search.yahoo.com/ or
    > http://www.qango.com/ or http://www.dogpile.com/ to name but a few.

    Nice list .. but that's patently _not_ what _most_ posters asking questions
    actually do ..

    > I just found a list of search engines at:
    > http://www.internet-promoter.com/engines-directories.htm

    Nice for you ..

    > It even mentions google!

    Nah, a search engine mentioning another .. Shock !!! Horror !!!

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Robin Hood

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:28:40 +0100, Robin Hood wrote:

    >About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to search
    >with google.

    >If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at

    You who?

    >all.

    <groan> Another</groan> Usenet Cop.

    >Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    >results of the search don't help.

    >I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or

    Learn how to inprove your search criteria, there is a guide at
    www.google.com

    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    Google General FAQ
    http://www.google.com/help/faq.html
    2 How do I narrow my search?
    3 How can I restrict my search?
    4 How do I stop my previous searches from appearing when I type in a new
    search term?

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Robin Hood

    512/udp Guest

    wrote:

    >About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to search
    >with google.

    right. and?...

    >If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    >all.

    but google *is the answer. (usually.) do you want us techs to waste
    our time doing the research that *you can easily do?

    >Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    >results of the search don't help.

    the funny thing is that most newsgroups can be used via google too.
    and chances are that google groups has already archived the answer to
    the question because chances are that someone has already hit up the
    newsgroups looking for one...

    >I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or
    >http://www.teoma.com/ or http://www.search.com or http://ask.com or
    >http://www.about.com/ or http://www.aeiwi.com/ or http://www.whatuseek.com/
    >or http://search.yahoo.com/ or http://www.qango.com/ or
    >http://www.dogpile.com/ to name but a few.

    then that's your problem. you're just wasting your time with all that
    rubbish. all you (usually) need is google.

    >I just found a list of search engines at:
    >http://www.internet-promoter.com/engines-directories.htm
    >
    >It even mentions google!

    as it has been mentioned here every third reply or so. right?...

    --
    It was only after their population of fifty mysteriously shrank
    to eight, that the other seven dwarfs began to suspect 'Hungry'.

    512/udp, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Robin Hood

    Parko Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:28:40 +0100, Robin Hood wrote:

    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    > results of the search don't help.

    Well RTFM then.
    http://searchenginewatch.com/facts/index.php

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Robin Hood

    Unknown Guest

    Where did you get your data that most people use Google?

    Unknown, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Robin Hood

    samuel Guest

    "Robin Hood" <> wrote in

    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when
    > the results of the search don't help.

    do they ?

    samuel, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Robin Hood

    ICee Guest

    Robin Hood wrote:

    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    > results of the search don't help.

    Of course. That's why, when a Google search is done by someone answering
    the post, the answer to the poster's question is right at the top of the
    list.
    You really shouldn't make assertions you can't back up, bozo.

    ICee, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Robin Hood

    Lyndon F Guest

    "Robin Hood" <> stated:

    > About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting
    > help to search with google.
    >
    > If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother
    > replying at all.
    >
    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's
    > when the results of the search don't help.
    >
    > I will spend hours searching

    At a glance, I see, in this group, that some posters fail to

    Search first.
    Whether it be a search engine or the usenet archive at Google or
    Nicrosoft.
    To find correct news group to ask at.
    Poorly worded 'subject' and internal question.
    Inadequate information given; lack of details to help solve problem.
    Fail to read prior messages, asking the same thing.

    Lyndon F, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Robin Hood

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Robin Hood" <> wrote in message
    > About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to

    search
    > with google.
    >
    > If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    > all.
    >
    > Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    > results of the search don't help.

    Bollocks.
    It is pretty rare to see somebody suggest google, in this group or any other
    when google is not actually the answer.
    It does happen, but it is rare. In those cases the poster is usually to
    blame for not explaining properly why web-searching has not helped.

    > I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or
    > http://www.teoma.com/ or http://www.search.com or http://ask.com or
    > http://www.about.com/ or http://www.aeiwi.com/ or

    http://www.whatuseek.com/
    > or http://search.yahoo.com/ or http://www.qango.com/ or
    > http://www.dogpile.com/ to name but a few.

    Hours? - on all those engines?
    You are crap at searching.

    anthonyberet, Sep 6, 2004
  15. Robin Hood

    WormWood Guest

    "Robin Hood" <> whined:
    > About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to
    > search with google.

    <snip>
    Yes, sweet site that Google, right?

    WormWood, Sep 7, 2004
  16. "Robin Hood" <> wrote in message
    [snip]

    > Most people do try searching for a solution

    [snip]

    I dare you to support that assertion. My gut feeling is that *most* people
    don't search (or even bother to check the built-in help files.) based on how
    often the answer can seemingly be found within the first page of results (or
    in the built-in help files.)

    Oxford Systems, Sep 7, 2004
  17. Robin Hood

    Robin Hood Guest

    "512/udp" <biff.mullins @ gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:28:40 +0100, "Robin Hood" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting help to
    >>search
    >>with google.
    >>

    > right. and?...
    >
    >>If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother replying at
    >>all.
    >>

    > but google *is the answer. (usually.) do you want us techs to waste
    > our time doing the research that *you can easily do?
    >
    >>Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    >>results of the search don't help.
    >>

    > the funny thing is that most newsgroups can be used via google too.
    > and chances are that google groups has already archived the answer to
    > the question because chances are that someone has already hit up the
    > newsgroups looking for one...
    >
    >>I will spend hours searching with http://www.altavista.com/ or
    >>http://www.teoma.com/ or http://www.search.com or http://ask.com or
    >>http://www.about.com/ or http://www.aeiwi.com/ or
    >>http://www.whatuseek.com/
    >>or http://search.yahoo.com/ or http://www.qango.com/ or
    >>http://www.dogpile.com/ to name but a few.
    >>

    > then that's your problem. you're just wasting your time with all that
    > rubbish. all you (usually) need is google.

    Not a problem. An asset.

    I ignored a lot of the silly and aggressive replies but yours was
    informative.

    You do seem to be stuck on one search engine.

    If you bothered to compare the results of other search engines you would be
    surprised how much you miss. Google is good but no search engine is perfect
    and different engines update at different times.

    The TEOMA search engine has proved to be very useful.

    Not that which search engine being referred to was my point. My point was
    that responding to a query by telling someone to use a search engine when
    they probably have already done so is so common now and so dumb.

    Robin Hood, Sep 7, 2004
  18. Robin Hood

    Robin Hood Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Where did you get your data that most people use Google?

    Where did I say "most people use Google"?

    Robin Hood, Sep 7, 2004
  19. Robin Hood

    Robin Hood Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Robin Hood wrote:
    >
    >> Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's when the
    >> results of the search don't help.

    > Of course. That's why, when a Google search is done by someone answering
    > the post, the answer to the poster's question is right at the top of the
    > list.
    > You really shouldn't make assertions you can't back up, bozo.

    You just made an assertion you cannot back up.

    Someone asking a question is usually asking because they don't know the
    answer. Someone knowing the answer is more likely to choose better key words
    for the search.

    Example you rudely called me "bozo"

    Put that into your favourite search engine and you come up with a lot of
    results that do not tell you the meaning of the word, but if you go to a
    dictionary of slang such as www.urbandictionary.com and enter the word you
    will get the answer. "A clown, a very annoying silly person." That is just
    how I would describe those that insist on answering queries with "Look it up
    on Google".

    Robin Hood, Sep 7, 2004
  20. Robin Hood

    Robin Hood Guest

    "Lyndon F" <> wrote in message
    > "Robin Hood" <> stated:
    >
    >> About every 3rd reply I see posts telling the person wanting
    >> help to search with google.
    >>
    >> If you can't be bothered to answer the query then don't bother
    >> replying at all.
    >>
    >> Most people do try searching for a solution and only use NG's
    >> when the results of the search don't help.
    >>
    >> I will spend hours searching

    > At a glance, I see, in this group, that some posters fail to
    >
    > Search first.
    > Whether it be a search engine or the usenet archive at Google or
    > Nicrosoft.
    > To find correct news group to ask at.
    > Poorly worded 'subject' and internal question.
    > Inadequate information given; lack of details to help solve problem.
    > Fail to read prior messages, asking the same thing.

    If they all did all that they would be perfect. Perfect people would know
    all the answers, so wouldn't need to ask any questions leaving the NG's
    empty:)

    Just kidding, but don't you think some tolerance is required?

    Robin Hood, Sep 7, 2004