Google problem with reading Usenet, August 2010

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    groups.

    I get this message:
    The connection was reset
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

    Sometimes after 20 retries it works.

    I do not have that problem looking at any other sites.

    Google seem to have removed their Google Groups Help forum, or I could
    ask there. They say elsewhere that they do not have any known issues.
    Which is probably nonsense.

    Is Google just overloaded? It's useful reading the Usenet archive,
    otherwise I would use a Usenet client instead.
    Matty F, Aug 15, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 15, 9:47 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    > groups.

    I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.
    Matty F, Aug 20, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Ted Guest

    On Aug 20, 7:42 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 9:47 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    > > groups.

    > I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    > broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    > The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    > Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    I've been getting the same problem over the last few days, and I'm not
    on dialup speeds. It seems to be associated with particular posts;
    other posts in the same thread are OK but one fails again and again.
    Looks to me like a Google server problem.
    Ted, Aug 20, 2010
  4. Matty F

    John Little Guest

    > > > I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    > > > groups.

    > > I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    > > broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    > > The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    > > Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    > I've been getting the same problem over the last few days, and I'm not
    > on dialup speeds.  It seems to be associated with particular posts;
    > other posts in the same thread are OK but one fails again and again.
    > Looks to me like a Google server problem.

    I was getting that about the time Matty was. Lasted about a week. It
    hasn't recurred for me for about 5 days....

    Regards, John
    John Little, Aug 21, 2010
  5. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 21, 4:52 pm, John Little <> wrote:

    > > > I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    > > > broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    > > > The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    > > > Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    > > I've been getting the same problem over the last few days, and I'm not
    > > on dialup speeds. It seems to be associated with particular posts;
    > > other posts in the same thread are OK but one fails again and again.
    > > Looks to me like a Google server problem.

    > I was getting that about the time Matty was. Lasted about a week. It
    > hasn't recurred for me for about 5 days....

    I was almost unable to read uk.d-i-y, while the nz groups were OK.
    Sounds like it's a Google problem. Why did Google get rid of Google
    Groups Help? I'm asking Google here, cos I know you are reading this!

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t730975-google-problem-with-reading-usenet-august-2010-a.html
    Matty F, Aug 21, 2010
  6. Matty F

    John Little Guest

    On Aug 21, 7:27 pm, Matty F <> wrote:

    > I was almost unable to read uk.d-i-y, while the nz groups were OK.

    nz.comp was about 1 in 10; it was worse in vim_use and vim_dev, which
    are google groups only.

    I tried different browsers, different OSs, with no effect, the same
    messages showed the problem.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Aug 22, 2010
  7. Matty F

    Ted Guest

    On 22 Aug, 12:09, John Little <> wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 7:27 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > I was almost unable to read uk.d-i-y, while the nz groups were OK.

    > nz.comp was about 1 in 10; it was worse in vim_use and vim_dev, which
    > are google groups only.
    >
    > I tried different browsers, different OSs, with no effect, the same
    > messages showed the problem.
    >
    > Regards, John

    Try using groups.google.co.uk as well as groups.google.co.nz. I've
    found it makes a difference, but it could be just chance.
    Ted, Aug 22, 2010
  8. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >On Aug 15, 9:47 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    >> groups.

    >I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    >broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    >The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    >Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    1) It will upgrade your news experience
    2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    you'll get more responses. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 23, 2010
  9. Matty F

    liberty Guest

    On Aug 23, 11:15 am,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <..com>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Aug 15, 9:47 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > >> I'm having trouble reading some Usenet posts, and reading some whole
    > >> groups.

    > >I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    > >broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    > >The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    > >Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    > Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    > 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    > 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    > 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    > you'll get more responses. :)

    Google groups have very unreliable for days.
    So who is a good Usenet provider?
    liberty, Aug 23, 2010
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 23, 11:15 am,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    > 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    > 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    > 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    > you'll get more responses. :)

    I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
    maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
    server, particularya free reliable one.
    If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
    don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
    of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
    Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
    entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
    Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
    course - oh no! Never!
    Matty F, Aug 23, 2010
  11. In article <>, liberty <> wrote:
    >On Aug 23, 11:15=A0am,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article <=

    >..com>, Matty F <> wrote:

    >> >I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
    >> >broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
    >> >The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
    >> >Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

    >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, s=

    >> you'll get more responses. :)

    >Google groups have very unreliable for days.
    >So who is a good Usenet provider?

    Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
    free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
    forbid, there are some that charge a small amount of money if you'd rather
    pay for it. :)

    Enjoy. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 23, 2010
  12. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >On Aug 23, 11:15 am,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >
    >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    >> you'll get more responses. :)

    >I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
    >maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
    >server, particularya free reliable one.
    >If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
    >don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
    >of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
    >Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
    >entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
    >Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
    >course - oh no! Never!

    :)
    IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)

    And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    google groups. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 23, 2010
  13. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 23, 4:02 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >

    > >On Aug 23, 11:15 am,
    > >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    > >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    > >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    > >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    > >> you'll get more responses. :)

    > >I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
    > >maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
    > >server, particularya free reliable one.
    > >If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
    > >don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
    > >of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
    > >Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
    > >entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
    > >Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
    > >course - oh no! Never!

    > :)
    > IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    > threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    > about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)
    >
    > And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    > :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    > polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    > google groups. :)

    You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
    Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
    page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
    posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
    believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
    all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!

    Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
    http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg
    Matty F, Aug 23, 2010
  14. Matty F

    liberty Guest

    On Aug 23, 4:02 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <..com>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >

    > >On Aug 23, 11:15 am,
    > >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    > >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    > >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    > >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
    > >> you'll get more responses. :)

    > >I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
    > >maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
    > >server, particularya free reliable one.
    > >If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
    > >don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
    > >of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
    > >Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
    > >entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
    > >Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
    > >course - oh no!  Never!

    > :)
    > IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    > threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    > about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)
    >
    > And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    > :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    > polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    > google groups. :)

    Rubbish
    If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
    Normally just as fast.
    That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.
    liberty, Aug 23, 2010
  15. Matty F

    liberty Guest

    On Aug 23, 3:58 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <..com>, liberty <> wrote:
    >

    > >On Aug 23, 11:15=A0am,
    > >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
    > >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
    > >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
    > >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, s=

    > >> you'll get more responses. :)

    > >Google groups have very unreliable for days.
    > >So who is a good Usenet provider?

    > Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
    > free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
    > forbid, there are some  that charge a small amount of money if you'd rather
    > pay for it. :)
    >
    > Enjoy. :)

    Google seems to be working just fine.
    liberty, Aug 23, 2010
  16. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> :)
    >> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    >> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    >> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)
    >>
    >> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    >> :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    >> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    >> google groups. :)

    >You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
    >Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
    >page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
    >posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
    >believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
    >all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!
    >Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
    >http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg

    I guess I'm struggling to understand why that matters even slightly :) ...
    As to belief ? .. well people believe all sorts of things, many of them
    crazy and many/most of them wrong. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2010
  17. In article <>, liberty <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like schoo=

    >> :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    >> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    >> google groups. :)

    >Rubbish
    >If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
    >Normally just as fast.
    >That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.

    That's your opinion. Mine still differs. Mileages vary. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2010
  18. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 23/08/2010 8:13 p.m., liberty wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 4:02 pm,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article<>, Matty F<> wrote:

    >>> I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
    >>> maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
    >>> server, particularya free reliable one.
    >>> If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
    >>> don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
    >>> of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
    >>> Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
    >>> entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
    >>> Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
    >>> course - oh no! Never!

    >> :)
    >> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    >> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    >> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)
    >>
    >> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    >> :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    >> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    >> google groups. :)

    > Rubbish
    > If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
    > Normally just as fast.
    > That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.

    I quite like staying logged into Google for gmail reader docs calendar
    etc, but I don't want to publish that email address on usenet for bots
    and stalkers so I set up free usenet providers in T'bird.
    I have discovered that it is possible to make another Google account and
    sign in in an incognito window in Chrome, but nah, the Tbird is still
    easier to use.
    victor, Aug 24, 2010
  19. In article <>, liberty <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> >Google groups have very unreliable for days.
    >> >So who is a good Usenet provider?

    >> Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
    >> free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
    >> forbid, there are some =A0that charge a small amount of money if you'd ra=

    >ther
    >> pay for it. :)
    >>
    >> Enjoy. :)

    >Google seems to be working just fine.

    ... for a given value of 'fine'. :)
    I hate it. If you don't, fine.
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2010
  20. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 24, 11:11 am,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >

    > >> :)
    > >> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
    > >> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
    > >> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice. :)

    > >> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
    > >> :) ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
    > >> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
    > >> google groups. :)

    > >You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
    > >Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
    > >page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
    > >posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
    > >believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
    > >all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!
    > >Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
    > >http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg

    > I guess I'm struggling to understand why that matters even slightly :) ...
    > it doesn't to me. As I said, mileages vary. :) :)
    > As to belief ? .. well people believe all sorts of things, many of them
    > crazy and many/most of them wrong. :) :)

    So you are happy to pay extra taxes on your power bill and petrol
    because of the ETS that is now in place with the help of the BBC, who
    are the worst example of the propaganda war on carbon dioxide. It is
    our duty to expose bad journalism where possible. Which I have done in
    the above link, if anyone has lost track of the discussion.
    Matty F, Aug 24, 2010