Google preferences and cookies - Mozilla and Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RdM, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. RdM

    RdM Guest

    I'd noticed an annoying thing about Google recently - possibly since I updated
    Zone Alarm - and I decided to investigate it a bit further just now.

    It hasn't been allowing me to set preferences, claiming that I "seemed to have
    cookies disabled" - yet they weren't, for google.co.nz, in Mozilla (1.4).
    Removing the existing cookie and reloading didn't help.

    Zone Alarm had everything except 3rd party cookies allowed. [Privacy, google]
    ZA has 3 check boxes in the 3rd party cookies options;
    Block 3rd party cookies, Disable web bugs, Remove private header information.

    I unchecked them one by one, leaving "web bugs" til last.
    Only then (allowing web bugs) did Google (.co.nz) allow me to set Preferences.

    Hmmm. I'm not sure what to make of this.
    All I really wanted was to increase the default search results number > 10.

    Given the recent publicity about their email privacy settings, I wonder what
    the "web bugs" are doing? I can always go back to defaults, but am curious.
    I'm not sure I like the implications, though.

    As an aside, I can't get www.alltheweb.com to accept my preferences at all.

    RdM, Jun 3, 2004

  2. RdM

    Alden Bates Guest

    RdM <> wrote:
    >Given the recent publicity about their email privacy settings, I wonder what
    >the "web bugs" are doing?

    Testing to see if you have cookies turned on, by the sounds. :)

    I wonder if Zone Alarm is mistaking something for a web bug that isn't
    one.

    Alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com

    Alden Bates, Jun 3, 2004

  3. RdM

    RdM Guest

    :
    : Testing to see if you have cookies turned on, by the sounds. :)
    :
    : I wonder if Zone Alarm is mistaking something for a web bug that isn't
    : one.
    :
    : Alden

    This is a ZA 3.5.xxx setting in the Privacy tab, not an alert. I doubt it.
    I already had cookies turned on and full google pref functionality before.
    I haven't yet closely inspected any Google page source for web bugs.
    Thanks for the response though.
    RdM

    RdM, Jun 3, 2004
  4. RdM

    Steven H Guest

    sometimes i wonder why people use that fuming pile of binary poo called
    "zone alarm".

    considering the "programmers" that write it dont know how to install their
    software the correct way, causing headahkes for everybody else. urgh.. im
    ranting i will shut up now

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Jun 5, 2004
  5. RdM

    RdM Guest

    Steven H <> snorted:
    in nz.comp<bk2op82jioar$>,
    on Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:13:45 +1200,
    :
    : sometimes i wonder why people use that fuming pile of binary poo called
    : "zone alarm".
    :
    : considering the "programmers" that write it dont know how to install their
    : software the correct way, causing headahkes for everybody else. urgh.. im
    : ranting i will shut up now

    Noo. noo. noo. Please go on!!! Elaborate! <we like dedicated detail;-}>

    RdM, Jun 8, 2004