    hoping to avoid that.

    Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
    web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

    jaygreg, Feb 4, 2007

  2. jaygreg

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<45c5601d$0$28162$>,
    "jaygreg" <> wrote:

    >Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
    >the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
    >hoping to avoid that.
    >
    >Am I being too cautious?

    I installed, but then removed Picasa.

    It's full-featured and very easy to use. However, it
    continually looks for pictures on you computer and stores
    information about them onto C:. Since C: is one of my few drives
    that's *not* encrypted, I considered this a data leak. As near as
    I could tell, there was no easy way to tell it to not collect the
    data or to use a different drive/directory.

    I've seen reference to a number of sites that allow you to
    upload various kinds of data, some of which will be publicly
    browsable, some which you'd need to know the exact URL. I haven't
    needed one, so I don't know their names. Google is your friend.

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
    Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position

    Arthur T., Feb 4, 2007

  3. jaygreg

    Dee Guest

    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:25:05 -0500, "jaygreg" <>
    wrote:

    >Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
    >the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
    >hoping to avoid that.
    >
    >Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
    >web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

    Try http://www.imagestation.com ??
    Does your own ISP not provide you with free photo web space? Most
    do......
    Dee

    Dee, Feb 4, 2007
  4. jaygreg

    kurt wismer Guest

    jaygreg wrote:
    > I'm not a photo sharing computer user. Don't have a webpage nor any need for
    > one. I've been aware that sites like MySpace and Flickr are popular for
    > socializing and posting photos. Still... no personal utility.
    >
    > Today I just saw a potential use. From time to time, I use a digital camera
    > to photgraph construction problems; renovations, repairs, and things needing
    > fixed that get a tad expensive and involved. I've been printing these out
    > and carrying then with me. It would be helpful to simply view them from
    > machines owned by the merchants and vendors with whom I find myself
    > discussing the problems.
    >
    > Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
    > the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
    > hoping to avoid that.
    >
    > Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
    > web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

    it is possible to use their photo sharing service without installing
    anything... it's just not the path they're hoping you'll choose/leading
    you down...

    if it's too hard for you to find your way through to their web album
    functionality then maybe flickr would be more appropriate since they
    actually want you to use their web interface...

    --
    "it's not the right time to be sober
    now the idiots have taken over

    kurt wismer, Feb 5, 2007
  5. jaygreg

    Cranky Dude Guest

    In article <45c5601d$0$28162$>, jaygreg90
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Google's Picasa caught my eye so I read most of the writeup. Then I came to
    > the part where I needed to place something of theirs on my machine. I was
    > hoping to avoid that.
    >
    > Am I being too cautious? Can someone please give me a recommendation of a
    > web photo service I should use that more closely fits this type of use?

    You don't need to install Picasa on your machine to use the online
    service. You establish an account and then upload your photos. I
    recently started doing just that and I have no intention of installing
    their software on my computer. I chose Picasaweb because it is the only
    one I've been able to find that will do full-screen display of photos
    with no advertising around it.

    CD

    Cranky Dude, Feb 5, 2007
  6. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    Hummm. Good point. I'd need full screen.

    jaygreg, Feb 5, 2007
  7. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    I think it does, Dee. I'll look into that. Thanks.

    jaygreg, Feb 5, 2007
  8. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
    gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

    jaygreg, Feb 5, 2007
  9. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    I started looking at Flicker after I learned Picasa wanted to download. I'll
    keep your comments in mind.

    P.S. By the way, Kurt, with regard to your sig... the only thing worse than
    goin' through life totally stoned... is goin' through life totally sober!
    :)

    jaygreg, Feb 5, 2007
  10. jaygreg

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<45c774cd$0$24531$>,
    "jaygreg" <> wrote:

    >Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
    >gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

    You're welcome. (I'm not a guru; just someone who's
    cautious.)

    BTW, if you have Windows Indexing turned on, the same kind of
    data leak occurs, but for text rather than pictures.

    Arthur T., Feb 5, 2007
  11. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    RE "Windows Indexing" ... what's that? I couldn't find anything in a search.

    jaygreg, Feb 6, 2007
  12. jaygreg

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<45c82066$0$16684$>,
    "jaygreg" <> wrote:

    >RE "Windows Indexing" ... what's that? I couldn't find anything in a search.

    Copied from Window's own HELP:

    Indexing Service overview
    Indexing Service extracts the information from a set of documents
    and organizes it in a way that makes it quick and easy to access
    that information through the Windows 2000 Search function, the
    Indexing Service query form, or a Web browser. This information
    can include text from within a document (its contents), and the
    characteristics and parameters of the document (its properties),
    such as the author's name. Once the index is created you can query
    the index for documents that contain key words, phrases, or
    properties. For example, you can query all documents containing
    the word "product," or you can query for all Microsoft Office
    documents written by a specific author. Indexing Service returns a
    list of all documents that meet your search criteria. For
    information on the different ways to create a query, see Making
    queries.

    Through a process called indexing, Indexing Service uses a
    document filter to read through a document and extract the text
    and properties to pass to the indexer. For more information about
    indexing, see Indexing.

    Indexing Service automatically stores all the index information in
    the System or the Web catalogs. For more information about
    catalogs, see Catalogs.

    Indexing Service indexes the following types of documents:

    HTML
    Text
    Microsoft Office 95 and later
    Internet mail and news (with Internet Information Services
    installed)
    Any other document for which a document filter is available
    Indexing Service is designed to run continuously and requires
    little maintenance. After it is set up, all operations are
    automatic, including index creation, index updating, and crash
    recovery if there is a power failure. For information about
    administering Indexing Service, see Administering Indexing
    Service.

    Administrators and application developers can develop custom
    filters for other kinds of documents. For more information on
    developing custom filters, see the Microsoft Platform Software
    Development Kit.

    Arthur T., Feb 6, 2007
  13. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    >> Copied from Window's own HELP<<

    Perhaps on your machine, Arthur, but not mine. When I type "Windows
    Indexing" in the "Help and Support Center" of my Windows XP Professional
    window, I get "Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for "windows
    indexing".

    jaygreg, Feb 7, 2007
  14. jaygreg

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<45ca0dcd$0$8993$>,
    "jaygreg" <> wrote:

    >Perhaps on your machine, Arthur, but not mine. When I type "Windows
    >Indexing" in the "Help and Support Center" of my Windows XP Professional
    >window, I get "Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for "windows
    >indexing".

    That's not surprising. I wouldn't expect most items in
    Windows' own help files to specifically mention "windows".
    However Googling on "Windows Indexing" brings up a large number of
    hits with relevant ones at or near the top of the list.

    In Help, try searching on "indexing service", select the
    Search Assistant Overview, then (in the related) select Indexing
    Service Overview.

    I could not find any search which led me directly to that
    help page. (Does MS have something to hide?) The exact queries
    may differ in XP.

    I also found that I could open is.chm or isconcepts.chm from
    my Windows help directory (C:\WINNT\Help) and get the information.

    Arthur T., Feb 7, 2007
  15. Arthur T. wrote:

    > In Message-ID:<45c774cd$0$24531$>,
    > "jaygreg" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
    >>gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

    > You're welcome. (I'm not a guru; just someone who's
    > cautious.)
    >
    > BTW, if you have Windows Indexing turned on, the same kind of
    > data leak occurs, but for text rather than pictures.

    You can encrypt the storage catalog with EFS, and you can move it to other
    drives (using directory junctions).

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 7, 2007
  16. Arthur T. wrote:

    > In Message-ID:<45c774cd$0$24531$>,
    > "jaygreg" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, Arthur T. I didn't think Google would venture somewhere that made
    >>gurus unhappy but I wasn't sure.

    > You're welcome. (I'm not a guru; just someone who's
    > cautious.)
    >
    > BTW, if you have Windows Indexing turned on, the same kind of
    > data leak occurs, but for text rather than pictures.

    You can encrypt the storage catalog with EFS, and you can move it to other
    drives (using directory junctions).

    And, of course, you can include/exclude indexing of specific folders and
    drives. Thus, if you don't want an index on C:, just disable indexing for
    C:. You can still index other drives, and their storage index won't ever
    end up on C:.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 7, 2007