    and even better to tell me where it is stored
    Thanks
    divoch

    divoch, Dec 10, 2006

  2. divoch

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-10, divoch <> wrote:
    > I am somewhat confused where it is stored.I have created one while being
    > logged in to the my account and another one while not being logged in. They
    > are not same which is confusing but I gather that the one created without
    > login is stored somewhere locally on the computer. Can anyone confirm this
    > and even better to tell me where it is stored
    > Thanks
    > divoch

    They like to plant cookies on you; check your browser's cookie settings.
    They also try to track people using the IP numbers they are allocated when
    connecting to the internet - a static IP makes it easy for them to track
    people even without relying on cookies. Of course, Google aren't the only
    people who do this.

    No-one can easily relate your IP numbers or the cookies you accept, with
    your 'real world' identity, unless you choose to give that information to
    them - for example, by filling in your name and address on a
    'registration' form ... Mc#;Mc#;

    <http://www.google-watch.org/> <http://www.google-watch-watch.org/>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 10, 2006

  3. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-12-10, divoch <> wrote:
    >> I am somewhat confused where it is stored.I have created one while being
    >> logged in to the my account and another one while not being logged in.
    >> They
    >> are not same which is confusing but I gather that the one created without
    >> login is stored somewhere locally on the computer. Can anyone confirm
    >> this
    >> and even better to tell me where it is stored
    >> Thanks
    >> divoch

    > They like to plant cookies on you; check your browser's cookie settings.
    > They also try to track people using the IP numbers they are allocated when
    > connecting to the internet - a static IP makes it easy for them to track
    > people even without relying on cookies. Of course, Google aren't the only
    > people who do this.
    >
    > No-one can easily relate your IP numbers or the cookies you accept, with
    > your 'real world' identity, unless you choose to give that information to
    > them - for example, by filling in your name and address on a
    > 'registration' form ... Mc#;Mc#;

    That may be so but I am not quite sure how does it answer my question?
    divoch

    divoch, Dec 10, 2006
  4. divoch

    thanatoid Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > net...
    >> On 2006-12-10, divoch <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am somewhat confused where it is stored.I have created
    >>> one while being logged in to the my account and another
    >>> one while not being logged in. They
    >>> are not same which is confusing but I gather that the one
    >>> created without login is stored somewhere locally on the
    >>> computer. Can anyone confirm this
    >>> and even better to tell me where it is stored
    >>> Thanks
    >>> divoch

    >> They like to plant cookies on you; check your browser's
    >> cookie settings. They also try to track people using the
    >> IP numbers they are allocated when connecting to the
    >> internet - a static IP makes it easy for them to track
    >> people even without relying on cookies. Of course, Google
    >> aren't the only people who do this.
    >>
    >> No-one can easily relate your IP numbers or the cookies
    >> you accept, with your 'real world' identity, unless you
    >> choose to give that information to them - for example, by
    >> filling in your name and address on a 'registration' form
    >> ... Mc#;Mc#;
    >>

    > That may be so but I am not quite sure how does it answer
    > my question? divoch

    It answers your question by telling you not to be an idiot and
    not to make Google homepages.

    My answer to your question is "on Google servers".

    Happy now?

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 10, 2006
  5. divoch

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-10, divoch <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-12-10, divoch <> wrote:
    >>> I am somewhat confused where it is stored.I have created one while being
    >>> logged in to the my account and another one while not being logged in.
    >>> They
    >>> are not same which is confusing but I gather that the one created without
    >>> login is stored somewhere locally on the computer. Can anyone confirm
    >>> this
    >>> and even better to tell me where it is stored
    >>> Thanks
    >>> divoch

    >> They like to plant cookies on you; check your browser's cookie settings.
    >> They also try to track people using the IP numbers they are allocated when
    >> connecting to the internet - a static IP makes it easy for them to track
    >> people even without relying on cookies. Of course, Google aren't the only
    >> people who do this.
    >>
    >> No-one can easily relate your IP numbers or the cookies you accept, with
    >> your 'real world' identity, unless you choose to give that information to
    >> them - for example, by filling in your name and address on a
    >> 'registration' form ... Mc#;Mc#;
    >>

    > That may be so but I am not quite sure how does it answer my question?
    > divoch

    Whether they use a cookie which they have placed on your computer, or the
    IP number that you connect to the internet with, they know that your
    computer visited their site previously and they have a record of the
    preferences you set up. When you 'sign in' they use the settings that you
    created while signed in previously, regardless of which internet
    connection you used then or are using now.

    As the IP number shown in the headers of both your posts here is the same,
    it looks as though your ISP has allocated you a 'static IP', so any web
    site that cares to bother can recognise that same IP number each time you
    visit and connect what you did before with what you do this time -
    including, remembering any 'settings' you (or whoever used your internet
    connection last time) may have set up.

    Cookies are stored on your own computer, and your web browser should have
    controls to let you see and delete all the cookies it collects.

    Your IP number is what identifies you on the internet; it's your address,
    if you like. without it, you wouldn't be able to do anything on the
    internet - the web sites you visit, send the data to that number which you
    eventually see on your screen.

    A web site (Google or any other web site) can keep their own records of
    what is done by whoever they have given a particular cookie to, if they
    create unique 'identity numbers' for each cookie (as Google do) - all they
    need to store on your computer is the cookie, which you can delete if you
    want to. They can also relate the same records to a 'static IP
    number', without needing to store anything at all on your computer.

    Google are particularly keen to keep track of which of their users do
    what, as their way of earning money is to direct advertising to people
    that those people are likely to find interesting enough to 'click on it' -
    which is the point at which Google get their money. The more they know
    about you, the more interesting to you they can make the adverts they show
    you and so the more they can hope to earn from your clicks.

    It's not unreasonable for Google to want to earn a living. They do seem
    to have a knack for being 'spooky' in the way they go about it, though.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 10, 2006
  6. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-12-10, divoch <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    > Google are particularly keen to keep track of which of their users do
    > what, as their way of earning money is to direct advertising to people
    > that those people are likely to find interesting enough to 'click on it' -
    > which is the point at which Google get their money. The more they know
    > about you, the more interesting to you they can make the adverts they show
    > you and so the more they can hope to earn from your clicks.
    >
    > It's not unreasonable for Google to want to earn a living. They do seem
    > to have a knack for being 'spooky' in the way they go about it, though.

    Thanks for going through it all for me. I have found that by deleting all
    the cookies
    the customisation of the Google start-up page, while not logged in,
    disappears but
    customisation done when logged in does not. This I do not find useful even
    if I did
    not heed your warnings and so will have to find some other way to get a good
    TO DO LIST on the screen.
    divoch

    divoch, Dec 11, 2006