  1. Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?

    I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    companies would have supported open standards.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 16/12/2004 1:07 p.m.:
    > Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?
    >
    > I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    > companies would have supported open standards.

    And that is why I uninstalled it quicker than I installed it.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 16/12/2004 1:07 p.m.:
    > Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?
    >
    > I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    > companies would have supported open standards.

    It should also be noted that they didnt support Moz/FireFox with the
    Google search Toolbar a third party had to create it.

    Perhaps Google dosnt understand OSS

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?
    >
    > I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    > companies would have supported open standards.

    download from http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

    “So what is the answer to the big question - who has the better desktop
    search product (taking into consideration that both of them are beta
    products and may change radically) ?

    Answer: Microsoft. Totally. MSN Desktop Search takes Google Desktop
    Search to the cleaners.And here's why (apart from the major points
    covered by all those reviews)”

    http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sriram/archive/2004/12/14/36868.aspx
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 17, 2004

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:53:33 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Answer: Microsoft. Totally. MSN Desktop Search takes Google Desktop
    > Search to the cleaners.And here's why (apart from the major points
    > covered by all those reviews)"
    >
    > http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sriram/archive/2004/12/14/36868.aspx

    I suppose this begs the question... how can the MSN team quickly throw
    together a better solution to a problem that the Windows team has been
    trying to solve since Cairo a decade ago and which has been postponed
    again?

    Or put another way - why couldn't the XP team have built similar features
    into the OS?

    I suspect the answer might be "competition".

    Just trolling really :)

    I haven't tried either the MSN or Google stuff. I seem to be able to
    remember where I left things.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 17, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD., Dec 17, 2004
  10. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?

    >> I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    >> companies would have supported open standards.

    > download from http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/
    >
    > “So what is the answer to the big question - who has the better desktop
    > search product (taking into consideration that both of them are beta
    > products and may change radically) ?
    >
    > Answer: Microsoft. Totally. MSN Desktop Search takes Google Desktop
    > Search to the cleaners.And here's why (apart from the major points
    > covered by all those reviews)”
    >
    > http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sriram/archive/2004/12/14/36868.aspx

    wow, nice propoganda there, neglecting to answer the question I posted.
    Personally I'm having trouble with getting the MSN toolbar to work as
    anyone other than an administrator, so it will remain on my PC, but
    un-used until it's fixed.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 17, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 17, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyone know why Google desktop search doesnt support Mozilla mail?

    >>> I can see why MSN one doesnt, but I'd have thought that google of all
    >>> companies would have supported open standards.

    >> download from http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/
    >>
    >> “So what is the answer to the big question - who has the better
    >> desktop search product (taking into consideration that both of them
    >> are beta products and may change radically) ?
    >>
    >> Answer: Microsoft. Totally. MSN Desktop Search takes Google Desktop
    >> Search to the cleaners.And here's why (apart from the major points
    >> covered by all those reviews)”
    >>
    >> http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sriram/archive/2004/12/14/36868.aspx

    > wow, nice propoganda there, neglecting to answer the question I posted.

    No idea why GDS doesn't support Mozilla mail.

    Nothing stopping MSN from searching anything, it uses an open
    architecture that uses IFILTER plugins. So as long as there is an
    ifilter for the Moz mailbox format, otherwise you can write one :)

    > Personally I'm having trouble with getting the MSN toolbar to work as
    > anyone other than an administrator, so it will remain on my PC, but
    > un-used until it's fixed.

    What doesn't work? Not index, not returning searches? Not updating?
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 19, 2004

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 19, 2004
  14. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > What doesn't work? Not index, not returning searches? Not updating?

    doesnt search... I type something into the search box, hit enter(or
    click on the arrow), and it does nothing. no windows open, nothing.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> What doesn't work? Not index, not returning searches? Not updating?

    > doesnt search... I type something into the search box, hit enter(or
    > click on the arrow), and it does nothing. no windows open, nothing.

    Works fine for me here. I needed to be an admin to install, but I am
    using searching the index fine as a non-admin.
    In the UI that pops up it should tell you if it has finished building
    the index for the 1st time yet or not

    You might want to send some feedback to
    http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx?productkey=toolbar
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2004

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2004
  18. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> doesnt search... I type something into the search box, hit enter(or
    >> click on the arrow), and it does nothing. no windows open, nothing.

    > You might want to send some feedback to
    > http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx?productkey=toolbar

    I would but I really dont care, GDS does most of what I need, Moz and
    addons do the email searching I need.

    I only downloaded it to see how it went, and it didn't, so now it is
    going(away).
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 20, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 20, 2004