    I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
    Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
    Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

    Matty F, Dec 10, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Simon Guest

    On Dec 10, 11:10 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
    > Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
    > Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

    I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
    boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
    and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
    incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

    Simon, Dec 10, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 11, 10:23 am, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Dec 10, 11:10 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
    > > Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
    > > Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

    > I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
    > boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
    > and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
    > incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

    Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
    nothing about it.
    However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
    The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
    of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
    didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
    though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
    their permission.

    Matty F, Dec 11, 2010
  4. Matty F

    Murray Symon Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > On Dec 11, 10:23 am, Simon <> wrote:
    >> On Dec 10, 11:10 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
    >> > Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
    >> > Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

    >> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
    >> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
    >> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
    >> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

    > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
    > nothing about it.
    > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
    > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
    > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
    > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
    > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
    > their permission.

    Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
    section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
    be correct than Google.

    Murray Symon, Dec 11, 2010
  5. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon <>
    wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:

    > >> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
    > >> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
    > >> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
    > >> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

    > > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
    > > nothing about it.
    > > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
    > > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
    > > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
    > > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
    > > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
    > > their permission.

    > Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
    > section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
    > be correct than Google.

    I managed to find the property map. The stroppy neighbour doesn't want
    anybody to check where the boundary peg is.

    Matty F, Dec 11, 2010
  6. Matty F

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon <>
    wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:

    > >> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
    > >> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
    > >> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
    > >> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

    > > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
    > > nothing about it.
    > > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
    > > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
    > > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
    > > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
    > > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
    > > their permission.

    > Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
    > section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
    > be correct than Google.

    Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.

    In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
    to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

    peterwn, Dec 12, 2010
  7. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 12, 2:46 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Matty F wrote:

    > > > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
    > > > nothing about it.
    > > > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
    > > > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
    > > > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
    > > > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
    > > > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
    > > > their permission.

    > > Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
    > > section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
    > > be correct than Google.

    > Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.
    >
    > In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
    > to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

    Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
    pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
    from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
    neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land.
    My section has seven sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so
    measurements are not easy. It's covered in bush and I need to wear
    abseiling gear and try to keep the measuring tape clear of trees.

    Matty F, Dec 12, 2010
  8. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:05:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
    > pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
    > from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
    > neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land. My section has seven
    > sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so measurements are not easy.
    > It's covered in bush and I need to wear abseiling gear and try to keep
    > the measuring tape clear of trees.

    Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

    Sweetpea, Dec 12, 2010
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 12, 7:55 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:05:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:
    > > Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
    > > pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
    > > from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
    > > neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land. My section has seven
    > > sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so measurements are not easy.
    > > It's covered in bush and I need to wear abseiling gear and try to keep
    > > the measuring tape clear of trees.

    > Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

    Well you should know me, it was cheap! I always like a bargain.
    It's currently valued at about $1200 per square metre.

    Matty F, Dec 12, 2010
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 12, 8:40 pm, wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:29:37 -0800 (PST), Matty F
    >
    > <> wrote:

    > >> Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

    > >Well you should know me, it was cheap! I always like a bargain.
    > >It's currently valued at about $1200 per square metre.

    > I am wondering how accurate your measurements are going to be as you
    > absei through the bush tape measure in hand and if the ground is so
    > rough and steep are you ever going to want to put a fence along that
    > boundary?

    I need to get within a metre or so of the boundary pegs so I can find
    them. They are usually covered in plants and soil.
    I want to put a fence up so the neighbours know where the boundary is.
    Then the contractors that they hire are less likely to spray and kill
    my trees or throw their tree cuttings on my property like they've been
    doing for years. I have to pay to dump their rubbish.
    I need to have trees on my property to hold the steep bank up, OK?

    Matty F, Dec 12, 2010
  11. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:11:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > I need to have trees on my property to hold the steep bank up, OK?

    But surely if you don't have trees, the steep bank will slide down, and
    the result will be land that isn't so steep. :)

    Sweetpea, Dec 12, 2010
  12. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 12, 9:33 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:11:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:
    > > I need to have trees on my property to hold the steep bank up, OK?

    > But surely if you don't have trees, the steep bank will slide down, and
    > the result will be land that isn't so steep. :)

    But the house above my house and its swimming pool will come down on
    top of my house. The bank is about 12 metres high and there is a few
    square km of land behind.

    Matty F, Dec 12, 2010
  13. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 12/12/2010 6:05 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 2:46 pm, peterwn<> wrote:
    >> On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
    >>> section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
    >>> be correct than Google.

    >> Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.
    >>
    >> In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
    >> to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

    > Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
    > pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
    > from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
    > neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land.
    > My section has seven sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so
    > measurements are not easy. It's covered in bush and I need to wear
    > abseiling gear and try to keep the measuring tape clear of trees.

    Use GPS

    victor, Dec 12, 2010
  14. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 01:46:29 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    >> But surely if you don't have trees, the steep bank will slide down, and
    >> the result will be land that isn't so steep. :)

    > But the house above my house and its swimming pool will come down on top
    > of my house. The bank is about 12 metres high and there is a few square
    > km of land behind.

    Eek!

    Sweetpea, Dec 12, 2010
  15. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Dec 12, 11:20 pm, victor <> wrote:
    > On 12/12/2010 6:05 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 12, 2:46 pm, peterwn<> wrote:

    > >> Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.

    > >> In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
    > >> to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

    > > Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
    > > pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
    > > from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
    > > neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land.
    > > My section has seven sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so
    > > measurements are not easy. It's covered in bush and I need to wear
    > > abseiling gear and try to keep the measuring tape clear of trees.

    > Use GPS

    I've tried using my navigator but it shows only whole seconds, which
    is around 30 metres. I need a thousandth of a second.

    Matty F, Dec 12, 2010