google hijacking?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    experiencing something odd with google.
    I use Firefox 2.

    Makes no difference what search I do. The first 5 or 10 hits always
    get hijacked.
    Here's an example. I just searched for "RIAA".
    Hit #1 www.riaa.com/
    Click #1:
    http://www.yellowbook.com/?se=7&cid...=ask&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roc+business
    click #2:
    http://www.blinkx.com/category/news?adid=12-100-201-300-404-1&p=1
    click #3
    http://www.blinkx.com/video/they-said-what-monday-december-08/IbueFdbA_y5YQyb4wnR4dA/rf
    click #4:
    www.riaa.com

    Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
    the first click.

    richard, Dec 13, 2008

  2. richard wrote:

    > Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    > experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

    Consider upgrading to version 3.

    > Makes no difference what search I do. The first 5 or 10 hits always
    > get hijacked. Here's an example. I just searched for "RIAA".

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=RIAA&btnG=Google Search
    produced these first four:
    http://www.riaa.com/
    http://www.riaa.com/aboutus.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA
    http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

    > Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    > Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site
    > on the first click.

    I'd bet on your spyware or sumpin'.

    Try cleaning out your history and cache.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 13, 2008

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:03:27 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    >> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

    >Consider upgrading to version 3.

    I was using 3. There was an issue with downloading. If during
    downloading the page you were on changed, the downloader would be
    tricked into thinking the download was done when the new page loaded.

    richard, Dec 13, 2008
  4. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    >>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

    >> Consider upgrading to version 3.

    > I was using 3.

    ...but.. not when you had this google problem? Or did you mean ??

    > There was an issue with downloading. If during downloading the page
    > you were on changed,

    Downloading what? Link to a file? Or do you mean "grabbing the page
    itself from the server?" Was there supposed to be a comma between
    "downloading" and "the page?"

    > the downloader would be tricked into thinking the download was done
    > when the new page loaded.

    Were you were doing a 'refresh' before the whole page loaded? I can't
    see any other way a page could 'change' once you first asked for it. You
    will have to explain this so-called downloading problem using better
    sentence structure.

    I'd guess news pages would be the most likely to change frequently. I
    read numerous news sites several times a day, and have never noticed
    Firefox 3 to be 'tricked' into anything.

    In any case, I've been using Firefox 3 since it was released and have
    seen no symptoms as you describe (for whatever meaning you meant).

    [snip rest as you didn't address it]

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 13, 2008
  5. richard

    elaich Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    >> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    >> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

    > Consider upgrading to version 3.

    I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's slowly
    becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.

    "You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3, so all
    compatibility checking has been disabled."

    3 wouldn't remember passwords properly, and was prone to forgetting my last
    session. I also don't like what they did to the bookmarking system in 3.

    There's a reason Mozilla is still supporting 2. They know 3 isn't anywhere
    near ready.

    elaich, Dec 13, 2008
  6. richard

    catchme Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> Seems to me that for the past few weeks at least, I've been
    >>> experiencing something odd with google. I use Firefox 2.

    >> Consider upgrading to version 3.

    > I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's slowly
    > becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.
    >
    > "You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3, so all
    > compatibility checking has been disabled."

    i havent encountered that particular problem....

    catchme, Dec 13, 2008
  7. catchme wrote:

    > elaich wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Consider upgrading to version 3.

    >> I just went back to 2. 3 isn't ready for prime time yet, and it's
    >> slowly becoming an annoying, hand holding net nanny.
    >>
    >> "You appear to have add-ons that are not compatible with Firefox 3,
    >> so all compatibility checking has been disabled."

    > i havent encountered that particular problem....

    Neither have I. <wonders what add-ons he has...>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 13, 2008
  8. richard

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    >Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
    >the first click.

    Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe

    No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.

    And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
    off.
    --

    I had to borrow my sisters PC for the LAN party
    http://pixftw.com/2008/08/20/i-had-to-borrow-my-sisters-pc-for-the-lan-party/

    , Dec 13, 2008
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:48:14 -0800, wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    >>Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site on
    >>the first click.

    >Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    >http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
    >
    >No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    >log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    >course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
    >
    >And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
    >off.

    I did. It didn't find anything that could be the culprit.
    Noting some programs I have were shown as "NASTY!".
    Simply because I don't have them in their default locations.
    Another program I have used for years was reported as a virus.
    Couple of programs I've used were shown as UNKNOWN.

    So I'm assuming that there is something in FF which is causing this to
    happen.

    At least it's not with all the hits. Just the first 10 or so.

    richard, Dec 14, 2008
  10. richard

    richard Guest

    Re: google hijacking? - solved

    SOLVED!

    Installed and ran malwarebytes.
    Found I had 6 items that were marked as "Dns changer" and 3 trojans.
    Now when I click on the first hit, I get that web page.

    richard, Dec 14, 2008

  11. wrote<>:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    >>Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site

    on
    >>the first click.

    >Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    >http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
    >
    >No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    >log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    >course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
    >
    >And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
    >off.

    This app dosent work in w98 does it?

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 14, 2008
  12. richard

    Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >wrote<>:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is this google's doing or some spyware crap I might have or what?
    >>>Might not be google. I just tried it in IE 7 and got the right site

    >on
    >>>the first click.

    >>Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    >>http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
    >>
    >>No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    >>log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    >>course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
    >>
    >>And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
    >>off.

    >This app dosent work in w98 does it?

    From the link

    System requirements:
    Operating System:
    Microsoft™ Windows™ Vista
    Microsoft™ Windows™ XP
    Microsoft™ Windows™ 2000
    Microsoft™ Windows™ Me
    Microsoft™ Windows™ 98
    Software:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0
    Mozilla™ Firefox™ 1.5 or 2.0

    - and it works just find with Opera.
    --

    I had to borrow my sisters PC for the LAN party
    http://pixftw.com/2008/08/20/i-had-to-borrow-my-sisters-pc-for-the-lan-party/

    , Dec 14, 2008
  13. richard

    Guest

    Re: google hijacking? - solved

    richard <> wrote:

    >SOLVED!
    >
    >Installed and ran malwarebytes.
    >Found I had 6 items that were marked as "Dns changer" and 3 trojans.
    >Now when I click on the first hit, I get that web page.

    I was going to mention you could of:

    Start | Run <type in>
    ipconfig /flushdns
    <enter>
    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

    , Dec 14, 2008
  14. Re: google hijacking? - solved

    richard wrote:

    > SOLVED!
    >
    > Installed and ran malwarebytes.
    > Found I had 6 items that were marked as "Dns changer" and 3 trojans.
    > Now when I click on the first hit, I get that web page.

    Hah! I win the prize! ;-)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 14, 2008
  15. On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:11:44 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >

    >>wrote<>:

    >>on
    >>>

    >>>Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    >>>http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
    >>>
    >>>No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    >>>log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    >>>course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
    >>>
    >>>And whatever it is could be in your restore points. so turn restore
    >>>off.

    >>This app dosent work in w98 does it?

    > From the link
    >
    > System requirements:
    > Operating System:
    > Microsoft™ Windows™ Vista
    > Microsoft™ Windows™ XP
    > Microsoft™ Windows™ 2000
    > Microsoft™ Windows™ Me
    > Microsoft™ Windows™ 98
    > Software:
    > Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0
    > Mozilla™ Firefox™ 1.5 or 2.0
    >
    > - and it works just find with Opera.

    Interesting. I installed it (got the missing .dll file added so it would
    work) and after running it it produced a nice notepad logfile. I looked at
    that, scratched my head, mumbled, and saw a button on the widget that said
    "verify" or something. So I clicked that and it loaded their webpage up
    and gave me an error about it not working with w98.
    So I'm behind the lerning kerve, again.

    http://www.alternet.org

    §ñühwØ£f, Dec 14, 2008
  16. richard

    Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:11:44 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    >following claims :

    >>>This app dosent work in w98 does it?

    >> From the link

    >> Microsoft? Windows? 98
    >> Software:
    >> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0
    >> Mozilla? Firefox? 1.5 or 2.0
    >>
    >> - and it works just find with Opera.

    >Interesting. I installed it (got the missing .dll file added so it would
    >work) and after running it it produced a nice notepad logfile. I looked at
    >that, scratched my head, mumbled, and saw a button on the widget that said
    >"verify" or something. So I clicked that and it loaded their webpage up
    >and gave me an error about it not working with w98.
    >So I'm behind the lerning kerve, again.

    I only use hijackthis to produce the log which I paste into
    http://hijackthis.de/en -

    Anything else wants to take you to Trend Micro - you don't need them,
    it's just another website you would need to log onto.

    http://hijackthis.de/en are instant results as well.
    But then I do google the unknown or questionable items.

    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

    , Dec 14, 2008
  17. On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:00:09 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:11:44 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    >>following claims :

    >>> From the link

    >>> Microsoft? Windows? 98
    >>> Software:
    >>> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0
    >>> Mozilla? Firefox? 1.5 or 2.0
    >>>
    >>> - and it works just find with Opera.

    >>Interesting. I installed it (got the missing .dll file added so it would
    >>work) and after running it it produced a nice notepad logfile. I looked at
    >>that, scratched my head, mumbled, and saw a button on the widget that said
    >>"verify" or something. So I clicked that and it loaded their webpage up
    >>and gave me an error about it not working with w98.
    >>So I'm behind the lerning kerve, again.

    > I only use hijackthis to produce the log which I paste into
    > http://hijackthis.de/en -
    >
    > Anything else wants to take you to Trend Micro - you don't need them,
    > it's just another website you would need to log onto.

    Ok...thats what it did when I tried it.
    I'll cut & paste the logfile into the site next.
    In other news...
    When I fired up my win98 lappy I got some weird connections in my firewall
    that seem suspicios...all on port 53...
    192.112.36.4:53
    192.32.64.12:53
    192.8.10.90:53

    A g00gle suggested a DNS exploit might be happening since port 53 is for
    that.
    Any ideas?

    http://www.alternet.org

    §ñühwØ£f, Dec 15, 2008
  18. richard

    Guest

    , Dec 16, 2008
  19. On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:47:37 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>In other news...
    >>When I fired up my win98 lappy I got some weird connections in my firewall
    >>that seem suspicios...all on port 53...
    >>192.112.36.4:53
    >>192.32.64.12:53
    >>192.8.10.90:53
    >>
    >>A g00gle suggested a DNS exploit might be happening since port 53 is for
    >>that.
    >>Any ideas?

    > Might try Shields up http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

    Did...said all service ports were stealthed.
    But my system will reply to a ping :(
    Haven't figured that one out just yet.

    http://www.alternet.org

    §ñühwØ£f, Dec 16, 2008
  20. richard

    Walter Guest

    §ñühwØ£f wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:47:37 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists
    > with the following claims :
    >
    >> §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In other news...
    >>> When I fired up my win98 lappy I got some weird connections in my
    >>> firewall that seem suspicios...all on port 53...
    >>> 192.112.36.4:53
    >>> 192.32.64.12:53
    >>> 192.8.10.90:53
    >>>
    >>> A g00gle suggested a DNS exploit might be happening since port 53
    >>> is for that.
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Might try Shields up http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

    > Did...said all service ports were stealthed.
    > But my system will reply to a ping :(
    > Haven't figured that one out just yet.

    Do you have file/print sharing enabled on that machine? If so, try
    disabling it. I run XP across the board so I don't know if it's the same
    with 98, but Shields Up has always reported that all of my machines 'fail'
    because they will respond to a ping as long as I have file/print sharing
    enabled. If I shut it off, I "pass". I don't worry about. Being pinged is
    like somebody knocking on your door. They can knock all they want but they
    can't get in unless you were stupid enough to leave the door open. Or you
    *let* them in on purpose. :)

    Walter, Dec 16, 2008