    Is this a bug??

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Ron McNulty

    Bobs Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > Any time I use Google Groups to read messages, I get told there are
    > "15 new of 15" messages or similar against a topic. I have never seen
    > "2 new of 15" - the numbers are always identical. After reading all
    > the new messages in a topic nothing changes.
    >
    > Is this a bug??
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron

    Aren't they still in beta phase? Ya know, a bit like many developers
    that permently have their software in "beta" so they can explain away
    any shitty bugs by saying it's a beta.

    Bobs, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Ron McNulty

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 27, 5:40 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    > Any time I use Google Groups to read messages, I get told there are
    > "15 new of 15" messages or similar against a topic. I have never seen
    > "2 new of 15" - the numbers are always identical. After reading all
    > the new messages in a topic nothing changes.
    >
    > Is this a bug??

    I don't see how the "new messages" feature can ever work properly.
    Does Google try to save your browsing history in every thread in every
    group that you look at? Or is it just the number of messages in the
    thread in the last 24 hours or so? I do see "2 new of 15" etc but it's
    always wrong.

    Matty F, Mar 28, 2008
  4. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >On Mar 27, 5:40 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    >> Any time I use Google Groups to read messages, I get told there are
    >> "15 new of 15" messages or similar against a topic. I have never seen
    >> "2 new of 15" - the numbers are always identical. After reading all
    >> the new messages in a topic nothing changes.
    >>
    >> Is this a bug??

    >I don't see how the "new messages" feature can ever work properly.
    >Does Google try to save your browsing history in every thread in every
    >group that you look at? Or is it just the number of messages in the
    >thread in the last 24 hours or so? I do see "2 new of 15" etc but it's
    >always wrong.

    As always, I recommend a news server and real news reading s/w. Once used,
    you will never go back. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Ron McNulty

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 31, 12:24 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > As always, I recommend a news server and real news reading s/w. Once used,
    > you will never go back. :)

    I have tried a few. But Google Groups does show me instantly if anyone
    has replied to one of my posts!
    "Real" newsreaders seem to be rather slow and clumsy.
    The lack of kill-files etc in Google is not a problem.

    Matty F, Mar 31, 2008
  6. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >On Mar 31, 12:24 pm,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >
    >> As always, I recommend a news server and real news reading s/w. Once used,
    >> you will never go back. :)

    >I have tried a few. But Google Groups does show me instantly if anyone
    >has replied to one of my posts!
    >"Real" newsreaders seem to be rather slow and clumsy.
    >The lack of kill-files etc in Google is not a problem.

    Mileages vary ... but I can only suggest you haven't tried a good one. :)
    Threads and killfiles make a newsreader esential to me ... and the speed.
    They are fast.

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 31, 2008
  7. Ron McNulty

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 31, 5:25 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mar 31, 12:24 pm,
    > >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > >> As always, I recommend a news server and real news reading s/w. Once used,
    > >> you will never go back. :)

    > >I have tried a few. But Google Groups does show me instantly if anyone
    > >has replied to one of my posts!
    > >"Real" newsreaders seem to be rather slow and clumsy.
    > >The lack of kill-files etc in Google is not a problem.

    > Mileages vary ... but I can only suggest you haven't tried a good one. :)
    > Threads and killfiles make a newsreader esential to me ... and the speed.
    > They are fast.

    I don't need killfiles. I remember everybody who posts. I ignore the
    ones who are not worth reading. In one click, Google shows me 10 posts
    at a time on any newsgroup at all. I don't even have to subscribe to a
    group to read it, unlike all the newsreaders that I have seen.
    However I would still be using a newsreader except that Xtra doesn't
    support newsgroups any more.

    Matty F, Mar 31, 2008
  8. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    >On Mar 31, 5:25 pm,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article

    > <>, Matty F
    > <> wrote:

    >> >I have tried a few. But Google Groups does show me instantly if anyone
    >> >has replied to one of my posts!
    >> >"Real" newsreaders seem to be rather slow and clumsy.
    >> >The lack of kill-files etc in Google is not a problem.

    >> Mileages vary ... but I can only suggest you haven't tried a good one. :)
    >> Threads and killfiles make a newsreader esential to me ... and the speed.
    >> They are fast.

    >I don't need killfiles. I remember everybody who posts. I ignore the
    >ones who are not worth reading.

    Fair enuff.

    > In one click, Google shows me 10 posts
    >at a time on any newsgroup at all.

    Yep. A real news reader will show all posts in that group (threaded for easy
    reading). That squitty limit (and lack of threading) is the main reason I
    hate it. :)

    > I don't even have to subscribe to a
    >group to read it, unlike all the newsreaders that I have seen.

    To real news readers subscribed or not is irrelevant. Find the group, read
    the news ... and it's easier to find groups IMO. Partial group names etc. :)

    >However I would still be using a newsreader except that Xtra doesn't
    >support newsgroups any more.

    There are other news servers (try nntp.aioe.org for example).And, I hasten
    to add, other internet providers that still have nntp servers.

    Google groups is so "bad" to me that I stopped using it after a week. As
    before, mileages vary. :)

    To be fair, it's easier to find particular messages with google ... but
    searching has always been their strength. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 1, 2008