Google groups posting newsgroups messages problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pauline Johnson, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    messages.

    Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-

    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently
    unavailable

    She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0

    Any ideas anyone?

    Cheers .........

    --
    Paulie

    pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 12, 2003

  2. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:41:54 +1100, Pauline Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    >messages.
    >
    >Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    >up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >
    > The page cannot be displayed
    > The page you are looking for is currently
    > unavailable
    >

    >She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
    >
    >Any ideas anyone?

    P.S. - problem has been going on for about 4 days

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Pauline Johnson

    trout Guest

    Pauline Johnson wrote:

    > Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    > messages.
    >
    > Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    > up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >
    > The page cannot be displayed
    > The page you are looking for is currently
    > unavailable
    >

    > She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > Cheers .........

    Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
    files, and clearing history?
    Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
    afresh?
    --
    "I figure; start simple, and work up...."

    trout, Dec 12, 2003
  4. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Pauline Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    >> messages.
    >>
    >> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    >> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >>
    >> The page cannot be displayed
    >> The page you are looking for is currently
    >> unavailable
    >>

    >> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
    >>
    >> Any ideas anyone?
    >>
    >> Cheers .........

    > Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
    >files, and clearing history?
    > Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
    >afresh?

    Thanks for response.

    First point - Yes.

    Second point - Good thought I will get her to try that.

    Cheers .........

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 12, 2003
  5. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Pauline Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    >> messages.
    >>
    >> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    >> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >>
    >> The page cannot be displayed
    >> The page you are looking for is currently
    >> unavailable
    >>

    >> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
    >>
    >> Any ideas anyone?
    >>
    >> Cheers .........

    > Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
    >files, and clearing history?
    > Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
    >afresh?

    She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy :-(

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Pauline Johnson

    trout Guest

    Pauline Johnson wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Pauline Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and
    >>> post messages.
    >>>
    >>> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    >>> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >>>
    >>> The page cannot be displayed
    >>> The page you are looking for is currently
    >>> unavailable
    >>>

    >>> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas anyone?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers .........

    >> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp
    >> internet files, and clearing history?
    >> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and
    >> start afresh?

    > She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy :-(

    Hmm. It's posible that there could be a problem with the Google
    account, itself, if it's just the 'posting' page that's not coming up.
    I'm not familiar with their system, though, so I can't advise how to
    check if it's a problem with authentication procedure.
    The only other thing I can think of is kind of a long shot. There
    have been a number of trojans about that diddle with the hosts file
    entries for Google. Seems unlikely that it would effect only the one
    type of page, but maybe worth a look.
    --
    "Sorry; that's about all *I've* got."

    trout, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Pauline Johnson

    shadow self Guest

    "Pauline Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    > messages.
    >
    > Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    > up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >
    > The page cannot be displayed
    > The page you are looking for is currently
    > unavailable

    This is a stretch, but try turning the proxy server off if it is enabled.
    IE - Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Settings (or LAN settings if
    high-speed). This happened with people using our proxy server on Yahoo
    pages.

    shadow self, Dec 13, 2003
  8. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:41:48 -0500, "shadow self" <>
    wrote:

    >"Pauline Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
    >> messages.
    >>
    >> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
    >> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
    >>
    >> The page cannot be displayed
    >> The page you are looking for is currently
    >> unavailable

    >This is a stretch, but try turning the proxy server off if it is enabled.
    >IE - Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Settings (or LAN settings if
    >high-speed). This happened with people using our proxy server on Yahoo
    >pages.

    Thanks for suggestion but no proxy is being used.

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 13, 2003
  9. On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:27:52 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Pauline Johnson wrote:

    >>> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp
    >>> internet files, and clearing history?
    >>> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and
    >>> start afresh?

    >> She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy :-(

    > Hmm. It's posible that there could be a problem with the Google
    >account, itself, if it's just the 'posting' page that's not coming up.
    >I'm not familiar with their system, though, so I can't advise how to
    >check if it's a problem with authentication procedure.
    > The only other thing I can think of is kind of a long shot. There
    >have been a number of trojans about that diddle with the hosts file
    >entries for Google. Seems unlikely that it would effect only the one
    >type of page, but maybe worth a look.

    Thanks for response.

    Hosts file only has entries for double click.

    Can't see this affecting things but she will delete those and try
    again

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 13, 2003