    I'm sensing this is a Google problem and not with any of the devices I listed?

    -ChrisCoaster
    , Jul 19, 2012

  2. Guest

    Nobody knows. Maybe I should change my handle from "ChrisCoaster" to "The Stumper"!
    , Jul 20, 2012

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > iPhone, home PC, computers in the public library.
    >
    > I'm sensing this is a Google problem and not with any of the devices I listed?
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    On my other server, this message wasn't received.

    Anytime USENET has a problem with propagation, you might
    not be getting an answer.

    *******

    Remaining "logged in", would be implemented with cookies.
    A cookie is stored locally, on your device. So if the iPhone
    had a web browser, you wished to remain "logged in", the cookie
    stored on the iPhone disk would have a copy of that cookie.

    Now, if you step over to your home PC, it doesn't have that cookie.
    If you enter username/password and request staying "logged in",
    now your home PC has a cookie.

    Now, say you step across to the iPhone again. You go to Google
    with the browser. Now, Google keeps track of your logins, and
    knows the last login was from the home PC. There is no reason
    for the iPhone cookie to be considered valid at that point in
    time. (It's up to Google, to develop a policy of whether
    they accept the cookie at that point or not.)

    So you can see from the approach used, that the cookie is
    hardly ever going to save you much time. Unless, you *stay*
    on one device, and do your browsing with the *same* browser
    all the time. Then, just maybe, that cookie will work.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 20, 2012
  4. Guest

    Thankyou for explaining it. Actually, my problem - on the iPod tiuch - isthat I browse from newsgroups to wikipedia to wherever and back to groups.Since I checked "stay signed in" I should still be signed in. At least thats how it worked until a week or two ago.
    , Jul 20, 2012