    pretty good for doing usenet news.

    It's not perfect......but new posts appear in seconds, rather than
    hours, as with the old version.

    steve, Apr 13, 2005

  2. steve wrote:
    > One benfit of the perpetual failure of the Orcon newserver is that
    > today I've discovered that the new beta of Google Groups is actually
    > pretty good for doing usenet news.

    > It's not perfect......but new posts appear in seconds, rather than
    > hours, as with the old version.

    usenet always should be in seconds to the server that you are looking
    at, it's getting the message around the world that takes the time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> One benfit of the perpetual failure of the Orcon newserver is that
    >> today I've discovered that the new beta of Google Groups is actually
    >> pretty good for doing usenet news.

    >> It's not perfect......but new posts appear in seconds, rather than
    >> hours, as with the old version.

    > usenet always should be in seconds to the server that you are looking
    > at, it's getting the message around the world that takes the time.

    Sure....and you having seen it says that appears to be OK, too.....I guess.

    BTW...I'm on Orcon's new server now. No auth problems...and the entire
    list of 100,000+ newsgroups downloaded in about 20 seconds at over 200K
    / second.

    steve, Apr 13, 2005