    have bought deja.com had they not done so, already? all the companies
    they seem to be buying, these days, focus on "web 2.0" more then
    anything else.
    zelnaga, Dec 2, 2007

  2. zelnaga

    Paul Guest

    zelnaga wrote:
    > deja.com, remarq.com, and possibly other websites used to, up until
    > around 2000, let you post on usenet via the web. are there any
    > websites that let you do this, today, other then google groups? or
    > did google groups effectively kill the competition?
    >
    > incidentally, google has changed quite a bit since it bought deja.com
    > in 2001. have they changed so much that, now, in 2007, they wouldn't
    > have bought deja.com had they not done so, already? all the companies
    > they seem to be buying, these days, focus on "web 2.0" more then
    > anything else.

    If you want a real USENET server, try news.aioe.org . It allows
    up to 25 posts per day, and is what I'm using to post this. I'm using
    Mozilla Thunderbird to compose and send messages to it. I started
    using this server, after my ISP got rid of their USENET server.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 2, 2007

  3. zelnaga

    Guest

    On Dec 2, 2:26 am, zelnaga <> wrote:
    > deja.com, remarq.com, and possibly other websites used to, up until
    > around 2000, let you post on usenet via the web. are there any
    > websites that let you do this, today, other then google groups? or
    > did google groups effectively kill the competition?
    >
    > incidentally, google has changed quite a bit since it bought deja.com
    > in 2001. have they changed so much that, now, in 2007, they wouldn't
    > have bought deja.com had they not done so, already? all the companies
    > they seem to be buying, these days, focus on "web 2.0" more then
    > anything else.

    I effectively asked a similar question here

    http://groups.google.com/group/news...&q=jameshanley39 news client#acb7a55d5fcda674
    thread subject- Any anti google groups advocates ? / Google Groups
    anti advocate ? Options
    newsgroup- news.software.readers

    There are some web interfaces that allow posting, and some have some
    limited search facilities.
    None of them are anywhere near as good as Google Groups.

    I know Google Groups is getting WORSE and WORSE. But it is still far
    superior to alternatives.

    And I know, by alternatives, you mean WEB interfaces, like Google
    groups is.
    , Dec 2, 2007