Google Groups 403 Error

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Matt Silberstein, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. I was just reading groups.google.com and got this as a 403 error:

    We're sorry...

    ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus
    or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it
    appears that your computer or network has been infected.

    We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again
    soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or
    spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and
    other spurious software.

    We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again
    on Google.

    This is new to me. I am protected with anti-spyware, anti-virus,
    firewall, and a very aware and cautious approach to things. I am doing
    a scan out of paranoia but I wondered if there was legitimate concern.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/

    Matt Silberstein, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Matt Silberstein

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:41:14 GMT, Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > I was just reading groups.google.com and got this as a 403 error:
    >

    > We're sorry...
    >
    > ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus
    > or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it
    > appears that your computer or network has been infected.

    Not happening to me.

    Bit Twister, Oct 20, 2005

  3. On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:04:16 -0500, in alt.computer.security , Bit
    Twister <> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:41:14 GMT, Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >> I was just reading groups.google.com and got this as a 403 error:
    >>

    >> We're sorry...
    >>
    >> ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus
    >> or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it
    >> appears that your computer or network has been infected.

    >Not happening to me.

    And it is not happening now to me. Nor have my scans turned up
    anything (not that I expected them to). Maybe it was internal or
    someplace else on the Earthlink network.

    Matt Silberstein, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Matt Silberstein

    Jim Watt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I was just reading groups.google.com and got this as a 403 error:
    >

    > We're sorry...
    >
    > ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus
    >or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it
    >appears that your computer or network has been infected.
    >
    > We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again
    >soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or
    >spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and
    >other spurious software.
    >
    > We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again
    >on Google.

    looks stinky to me, thats not 'google speak' did it ask you to
    confirm your identity by entering your password? time to change
    it methinks if it did
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 20, 2005
  5. "Matt Silberstein" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >I was just reading groups.google.com and got this as a 403 error:
    >

    > We're sorry...
    >
    > ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus
    > or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it
    > appears that your computer or network has been infected.
    >
    > We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again
    > soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or
    > spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and
    > other spurious software.
    >
    > We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again
    > on Google.
    >

    > This is new to me. I am protected with anti-spyware, anti-virus,
    > firewall, and a very aware and cautious approach to things. I am doing
    > a scan out of paranoia but I wondered if there was legitimate concern.

    You are not the only one experiencing this.

    <http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=We%27re+sorry+but+we+can%27t+process+your+request+right+now.+A+computer+virus+or+spyware+application+is+sending+us+automated+requests%2C+and+it+appears+that+your+computer+or+network+has+been+infected&meta=>

    Maybe this might help:
    http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t15667.html
    They suggest google has taken some steps to protect their network against
    usage by worms and virusses. Maybe your neighbourhood (subnet) was quite
    active...

    - Joris

    Joris Dobbelsteen, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Matt Silberstein