Google Got Ya

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I read this article about Google Desktop search and it prompted me to
    ask this question. Would the built in Opera Google search bar be
    included in this? They say that it is only Google desktop 3 that will
    do this, but I can't trust them, I can trust most of you though.

    If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the program, along
    with several others from sources like answers. com and ebay. com search,
    etc... I would hate to have to quit using Opera because of the built in
    search bar.

    Alt

    Below paragraph quoted from this source:

    "Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few people
    will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love letters,
    business records, financial and medical files, and whatever other
    text-based documents the desktop software can index.

    "The government could then demand these personal files with only a
    subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need to seize the same
    things from your home or business," he said.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 11, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    samuel Guest

    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I read this article about Google Desktop search and it
    > prompted me to ask this question. Would the built in Opera
    > Google search bar be included in this? They say that it is
    > only Google desktop 3 that will do this, but I can't trust
    > them, I can trust most of you though.
    >
    > If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the
    > program, along with several others from sources like answers.
    > com and ebay. com search, etc... I would hate to have to quit
    > using Opera because of the built in search bar.
    >
    > Alt
    >
    > Below paragraph quoted from this source:

    > "Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few
    > people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love
    > letters, business records, financial and medical files, and
    > whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can
    >
    > "The government could then demand these personal files with
    > only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need
    > to seize the same things from your home or business," he said.

    I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    why not just set your home page to a search engine
    like
    http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    samuel, Feb 11, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Feb 11, 2006
  4. samuel wrote:
    > "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    > <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I read this article about Google Desktop search and it
    >> prompted me to ask this question. Would the built in Opera
    >> Google search bar be included in this? They say that it is
    >> only Google desktop 3 that will do this, but I can't trust
    >> them, I can trust most of you though.
    >>
    >> If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the
    >> program, along with several others from sources like answers.
    >> com and ebay. com search, etc... I would hate to have to quit
    >> using Opera because of the built in search bar.
    >>
    >> Alt
    >>
    >> Below paragraph quoted from this source:

    >> "Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few
    >> people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love
    >> letters, business records, financial and medical files, and
    >> whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can
    >>
    >> "The government could then demand these personal files with
    >> only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need
    >> to seize the same things from your home or business," he said.
    >>

    > I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    > why not just set your home page to a search engine
    > like
    > http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    It is easier to have a search bar built into your browser Samuel. For
    one, you don't have to constantly go back to your home page when you
    would like to do a search. You simply enter in what you want to look
    for and a step is cut out.

    And, it is just one bar, not a lot of search bars all open at one time,
    you can specify which one is active and just use one at a time.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 11, 2006
  5. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:23:25 +0000, samuel wrote:

    > "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    > <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I read this article about Google Desktop search and it
    >> prompted me to ask this question. Would the built in Opera
    >> Google search bar be included in this? They say that it is
    >> only Google desktop 3 that will do this, but I can't trust
    >> them, I can trust most of you though.
    >>
    >> If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the
    >> program, along with several others from sources like answers.
    >> com and ebay. com search, etc... I would hate to have to quit
    >> using Opera because of the built in search bar.
    >>
    >> Alt
    >>
    >> Below paragraph quoted from this source:

    >> "Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few
    >> people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love
    >> letters, business records, financial and medical files, and
    >> whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can
    >>
    >> "The government could then demand these personal files with
    >> only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need
    >> to seize the same things from your home or business," he said.
    >>

    > I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    > why not just set your home page to a search engine
    > like
    > http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    Must be IEheads. Opera and Firefox have G search boxes in their own
    toolbars; no need for GoogleAnything other than that link to Google.

    Or nix the paid ad crap and the record of your search with a proxy that
    uses Google:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/index.html#scroo

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    samuel Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:23:25 +0000, samuel wrote:
    >
    >> "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    >> <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote
    >> in news:coeHf.9499$:
    >>
    >>> Hello everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I read this article about Google Desktop search and it
    >>> prompted me to ask this question. Would the built in Opera
    >>> Google search bar be included in this? They say that it is
    >>> only Google desktop 3 that will do this, but I can't trust
    >>> them, I can trust most of you though.
    >>>
    >>> If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the
    >>> program, along with several others from sources like
    >>> answers. com and ebay. com search, etc... I would hate to
    >>> have to quit using Opera because of the built in search bar.
    >>>
    >>> Alt
    >>>
    >>> Below paragraph quoted from this source:
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4700002.stm
    >>>
    >>> "Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few
    >>> people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns,
    >>> love letters, business records, financial and medical files,
    >>> and whatever other text-based documents the desktop software
    >>> can index.
    >>>
    >>> "The government could then demand these personal files with
    >>> only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need
    >>> to seize the same things from your home or business," he
    >>> said.
    >>>

    >> I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    >> why not just set your home page to a search engine
    >> like
    >> http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    > Must be IEheads. Opera and Firefox have G search boxes in
    > their own toolbars; no need for GoogleAnything other than that
    > link to Google.
    >
    > Or nix the paid ad crap and the record of your search with a
    > proxy that uses Google:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/index.html#scroo

    that's a good one

    samuel, Feb 11, 2006
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    samuel Guest

    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in

    > samuel wrote:

    >> "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    >> <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote
    >> in news:coeHf.9499$:

    >> I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    >> why not just set your home page to a search engine
    >> like
    >> http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    > It is easier to have a search bar built into your browser
    > Samuel. For one, you don't have to constantly go back to your
    > home page when you would like to do a search. You simply
    > enter in what you want to look for and a step is cut out.
    >
    > And, it is just one bar, not a lot of search bars all open at
    > one time, you can specify which one is active and just use one
    > at a time.
    >
    > Alt

    i got a link on browser bar
    so no matter where i go
    i click on the link to take me to search engine
    but i always end up back home
    so don't use the link very much

    thanks for explaining

    samuel, Feb 11, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    pcbutts1 Guest

    **** you, fagboy.

    --
    The best live web video on the internet http://www.smutgremlins.com/
    See it all at http://debauchery.com/

    pcbutts1, Feb 11, 2006
  9. samuel wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:23:25 +0000, samuel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    >>> <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote
    >>> in news:coeHf.9499$:

    >>> I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    >>> why not just set your home page to a search engine
    >>> like
    >>> http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    >> Must be IEheads. Opera and Firefox have G search boxes in
    >> their own toolbars; no need for GoogleAnything other than that
    >> link to Google.
    >>
    >> Or nix the paid ad crap and the record of your search with a
    >> proxy that uses Google:
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/comp/index.html#scroo

    > that's a good one

    Thanks Blinky, I will give it a try.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 11, 2006
  10. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 05:23:25 +0000, samuel wrote:
    >

    >>"(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    >><""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Hello everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I read this article about Google Desktop search and it
    >>>prompted me to ask this question. Would the built in Opera
    >>>Google search bar be included in this? They say that it is
    >>>only Google desktop 3 that will do this, but I can't trust
    >>>them, I can trust most of you though.
    >>>
    >>>If you use Opera, you have that search bar built into the
    >>>program, along with several others from sources like answers.
    >>>com and ebay. com search, etc... I would hate to have to quit
    >>>using Opera because of the built in search bar.
    >>>
    >>>Alt
    >>>
    >>>Below paragraph quoted from this source:
    >>>
    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4700002.stm
    >>>
    >>>"Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few
    >>>people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love
    >>>letters, business records, financial and medical files, and
    >>>whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can
    >>>
    >>>"The government could then demand these personal files with
    >>>only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need
    >>>to seize the same things from your home or business," he said.
    >>>

    >>I'm curious as why people have all these search bars ?
    >>why not just set your home page to a search engine
    >>like
    >>http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/

    > Must be IEheads. Opera and Firefox have G search boxes in their own
    > toolbars; no need for GoogleAnything other than that link to Google.
    >
    > Or nix the paid ad crap and the record of your search with a proxy that
    > uses Google:

    So you're wanting to do intelligence gathering on the denizens of this
    group. Won't be a very big collection.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 11, 2006
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 01:02:09 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:
    >

    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Must be IEheads. Opera and Firefox have G search boxes in their own
    >>>toolbars; no need for GoogleAnything other than that link to Google.
    >>>
    >>>Or nix the paid ad crap and the record of your search with a proxy that
    >>>uses Google:

    >>So you're wanting to do intelligence gathering on the denizens of this
    >>group. Won't be a very big collection.

    > I am? No, I'm recommending a service that doesn't keep records of
    > searches after 7 days. If you read anything at their site.

    I can't be bothered with reading mindless techinical crap. I think I'm a
    busy man. Hit me with the straight stuff.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 11, 2006

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2006