    capitalization if that's an option.

    How do I make this actually do what I want.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Steve Freides

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:00:26 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
    >search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
    >words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
    >but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
    >don't want that.
    >
    >Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
    >
    >... one. Two three ...
    >
    >Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
    >anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
    >capitalization if that's an option.
    >
    >How do I make this actually do what I want.
    >
    >-S-

    "one" and "two" and "three"
    Lookout, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Steve Freides

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-27, Steve Freides <> wrote:
    > OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
    > search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
    > words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
    > but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
    > don't want that.
    >
    > Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
    >
    > ... one. Two three ...
    >
    > Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
    > anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
    > capitalization if that's an option.
    >
    > How do I make this actually do what I want.
    >
    > -S-

    I don't think Google 'notices' punctuation, so you can't include or
    exclude punctuation marks (or capitalisation) in Google searches. The
    best place to get help with Google searches is probably
    <http://www.google.com/help/basics.html>.

    See also <http://help.uk.ask.com/en/docs/about/adv_search_tips.shtml>
    <http://www.webcrawler.com/webcrawler/ws/faq/rfcid=416/rfcp=TopNavigation/_iceUrlFlag=11?_IceUrl=true>
    <http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/faq/_iceUrlFlag=11?_IceUrl=true>
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Feb 27, 2008
  4. Steve Freides

    Another Guest

    > "one" and "two" and "three"

    That does not work.
    Another, Feb 27, 2008
  5. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:45:46 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >I don't think Google 'notices' punctuation,

    i dont think google or google groups notices puncuation or
    capitlilzation either i could be wrong thats just what ive seen but
    maybe someone else here has seen otherwise let me know
    Evan Platt, Feb 27, 2008
  6. Steve Freides

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Lookout" wrote in message

    > "Steve Freides"wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't get Google to do the exact search I want. I am looking for
    >> three words and want only those three words right in a row.
    >> Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes but it includes
    >> instances where punctuation separates the terms and I don't want
    >> that.
    >>
    >> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
    >>
    >> ... one. Two three ...
    >>
    >> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_
    >> separated
    >> by anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
    >> capitalization if that's an option.
    >>
    >> How do I make this actually do what I want.

    > "one" and "two" and "three"

    Don't know Boolean, do you? That finds ANY web page that has those 3
    words anywhere and in any order on the web page but does NOT find web
    pages that specifically have the *phrase* or string of "one two
    three".
    VanguardLH, Feb 27, 2008
  7. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >Don't know Boolean, do you?

    Had lunch with the guy the other day.
    Evan Platt, Feb 27, 2008
  8. Steve Freides

    Ragz Guest

    does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no spaces

    Ragz, Feb 27, 2008
  9. Steve Freides

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >"Lookout" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve Freides"wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I can't get Google to do the exact search I want. I am looking for
    >>> three words and want only those three words right in a row.
    >>> Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes but it includes
    >>> instances where punctuation separates the terms and I don't want
    >>> that.
    >>>
    >>> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
    >>>
    >>> ... one. Two three ...
    >>>
    >>> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_
    >>> separated
    >>> by anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
    >>> capitalization if that's an option.
    >>>
    >>> How do I make this actually do what I want.

    >> "one" and "two" and "three"

    >Don't know Boolean, do you? That finds ANY web page that has those 3
    >words anywhere and in any order on the web page but does NOT find web
    >pages that specifically have the *phrase* or string of "one two
    >three".

    Didn't read the original post close enough.
    Lookout, Feb 28, 2008
  10. Steve Freides

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Ragz" wrote in message
    > does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no
    > spaces

    Start visiting some web site and right-clicking to View Source. The
    space character is used, and is NOT the same as the &nbsp; entity that
    can enforce the collapsing of multi-whitespace into single spacing.

    Oh, I see now. A blueyonder respondent. Should've known.
    VanguardLH, Feb 28, 2008
  11. "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Lookout" wrote in message

    >>> "one" and "two" and "three"

    >>Don't know Boolean, do you? That finds ANY web page that has those 3
    >>words anywhere and in any order on the web page but does NOT find web
    >>pages that specifically have the *phrase* or string of "one two
    >>three".

    > Didn't read the original post close enough.

    I just submitted this through Google difficult-to-find Contact Us page.
    Will reply again if/when I get an answer.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Feb 28, 2008
  12. VanguardLH wrote:

    > "Ragz" wrote in message
    >> does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no
    >> spaces

    > Start visiting some web site and right-clicking to View Source. The
    > space character is used, and is NOT the same as the &nbsp; entity that
    > can enforce the collapsing of multi-whitespace into single spacing.
    >
    > Oh, I see now. A blueyonder respondent. Should've known.

    That thinks OP's trying to search for a URL.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2008
  13. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:42:23 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >I just submitted this through Google difficult-to-find Contact Us page.
    >Will reply again if/when I get an answer.

    lol.. A reply from Google.

    Best of luck with that.
    Evan Platt, Feb 28, 2008
  14. Steve Freides

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Evan Platt" wrote in message

    > "Steve Freides" wrote:
    >>
    >> I just submitted this through Google difficult-to-find Contact Us
    >> page.
    >> Will reply again if/when I get an answer.

    > lol.. A reply from Google.

    Of course he will get a reply. Google is fantastic at setting up
    auto-responders.
    VanguardLH, Feb 28, 2008
  15. Steve Freides

    catchme Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know Boolean, do you?

    > Had lunch with the guy the other day.

    boolean logic- a series of operators "and", "nand", "if", "or"
    statements used to program, or code, software, in order to make the
    program execute loops or run through gates...
    most students learned this by the eleventh grade when i was in school.
    catchme, Feb 28, 2008
  16. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:12:53 GMT, catchme <>
    wrote:

    >boolean logic- a series of operators "and", "nand", "if", "or"
    >statements used to program, or code, software, in order to make the
    >program execute loops or run through gates...
    >most students learned this by the eleventh grade when i was in school.

    <Whoosh>
    Evan Platt, Feb 28, 2008
  17. Steve Freides

    Mitch Guest

    In article <yLmxj.143166$>, Ragz
    <> wrote:

    > does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no spaces

    If he's looking for a site with a known name, why would he SEARCH for
    it?
    I see this often, and I have to wonder what people are thinking. If you
    know the name, you can go directly to the site!
    Mitch, Mar 19, 2008
  18. Steve Freides

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Steve Freides
    <> wrote:

    > OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
    > search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
    > words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
    > but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
    > don't want that.
    >
    > Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
    >
    > ... one. Two three ...
    >
    > Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
    > anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
    > capitalization if that's an option.
    >
    > How do I make this actually do what I want.

    Rebuild Google.

    Seriously, if they didn't build their engine to consider punctuation,
    and you're getting appropriate results, you'll just have to keep
    looking through the results list.
    Google's database is not a list of all words everywhere; they have an
    index, and if the index doesn't include punctuation, you have nothing
    more to search through.
    Mitch, Mar 19, 2008
  19. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:34:18 -1000, Mitch wrote:

    >In article <>, Steve Freides
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
    >> search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
    >> words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
    >> but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
    >> don't want that.

    <snip>

    >> How do I make this actually do what I want.

    >Rebuild Google.
    >
    >Seriously, if they didn't build their engine to consider punctuation,
    >and you're getting appropriate results, you'll just have to keep

    You may like to figure how to use catchup in your usenet reader, so you
    don't see old posts or learn to read dates :)

    The OP was Feb 27th, perhaps you work on a helpdesk during the day and
    just saw a new request almost a month later <grin>.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Mar 19, 2008
  20. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:07:24 -1000, Mitch wrote:

    >In article <>, why?

    >> >Rebuild Google.
    >> >
    >> >Seriously, if they didn't build their engine to consider punctuation,
    >> >and you're getting appropriate results, you'll just have to keep

    >> You may like to figure how to use catchup in your usenet reader, so you
    >> don't see old posts or learn to read dates :)
    >>
    >> The OP was Feb 27th, perhaps you work on a helpdesk during the day and
    >> just saw a new request almost a month later <grin>.

    >Maybe you're new to the system:

    That would be you, why respond to month old posts. Other posters
    commented on the same thing and none of your replies were a solution
    either.

    Even your reply now is 3 weeks later. Stick to new posts.

    >So, tell me: how long would someone have to wait before you and the
    >first reply were going to get to that? More than a month, apparently.

    At work 2+ years for 1 call in my queue, 1 error happens twice a year on
    only 3 PCs not easy to find out why. But hey that's what happens when
    you switch from running CAD on a Sun workstation to Windows Workstation
    using XP.

    Me
    why?, Apr 9, 2008