    Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
    just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Aug 28, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    PAM. Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
    > just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

    IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world because
    most of the world is NOT USA. :)

    Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What can YOU
    use it for?

    PAM.

    PAM., Aug 28, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:45:36 +1200, "PAM." <>
    wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
    >> just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

    >IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world because
    >most of the world is NOT USA. :)
    >
    >Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What can YOU
    >use it for?
    >
    >PAM.

    Like I said abouve, but it sounds like it is not worth it.

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:45:36 +1200, "PAM." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience??
    >>> I just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

    >> IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world
    >> because most of the world is NOT USA. :)
    >>
    >> Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What
    >> can YOU use it for?
    >>
    >> PAM.
    >>

    > Like I said above, but it sounds like it is not worth it.

    For some reason my house is in an area that has fairly detailed coverage.
    (I'm not paranoid) You can see the house etc quite well. However,
    GoogleEarth shows a row of trees behind the house which were cut down about
    a year ago so I don't know how up-to-date it is. Also, other areas in NZ I
    looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out, yet
    alone a house.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    gl Guest

    fantastic for schools / teaching institutions...

    as for home users, perhaps not so...

    gl, Aug 29, 2005
  6. In article <>, says...
    > . Also, other areas in NZ I
    > looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out, yet
    > alone a house.

    I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
    river that goes down our vally. Piss poor.
    I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada. Interesting:
    it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps available you
    can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the ships in port!,
    but get a few miles out into the country side and it's like I described
    above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on a bull).

    I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
    original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 29, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> . Also, other areas in NZ I
    >> looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out,
    >> yet alone a house.
    >>

    > I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
    > river that goes down our vally. Piss poor.
    > I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada.
    > Interesting: it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps
    > available you can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the
    > ships in port!, but get a few miles out into the country side and
    > it's like I described above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on
    > a bull).
    >
    > I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
    > original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

    Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You can see
    my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.

    My current position is 37° 11' 32.06" South 174° 53' 19.47" East. That white
    bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the Clearlite roof
    over a small deck.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    SteveM Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> . Also, other areas in NZ I
    >>> looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out,
    >>> yet alone a house.
    >>>

    >> I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
    >> river that goes down our vally. Piss poor.
    >> I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada.
    >> Interesting: it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps
    >> available you can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the
    >> ships in port!, but get a few miles out into the country side and
    >> it's like I described above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on
    >> a bull).
    >>
    >> I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that
    >> the original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

    > Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You can
    > see my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.
    >
    > My current position is 37° 11' 32.06" South 174° 53' 19.47" East. That
    > white bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the
    > Clearlite roof over a small deck.

    So that's where the DVD went.

    It came from 36°52'18.14"S 36°52'18.14"S

    My view is nowhere as good as yours....

    As an aside, my father-in-law was living in Italy when he had a turn for
    the worse (he's OK now). He was staying in a tiny southern italian village
    which I was able to find, and was very lucky as the resolution was as good
    as Puke' - if not better.
    It was just nice to be able to see where he was and see some of the things
    that he described to us. I showed it to him when he came home and he was
    blown away. He reckoned that none of the residents in that little village
    would be aware of how "visable" they are to the rest of the world....

    For those interested the village is called Viggano and is located at:
    40°20'24.34"N 15°53'57.46"E

    SteveM

    SteveM, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience??

    I think it's worth loading if you're interested in doing more than hovering
    over your stalker's house.

    I like looking at maps and stuff for no other reason than to see what
    places look like, and how they come together, and Google Earth gives me a
    map of everything on Earth.

    I guess if you get nothing out of trivial knowledge like "oh, so *that's*
    where the Hollywood sign is", or "my! aren't the pyramids big", then it's a
    waste of time.

    Obviously it's better to visit these things for real, but that'snot an
    immediate possibility for a lot of us ;-)

    --

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, Aug 30, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    T A R T Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:35:43 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
    >original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

    I thought it was a waste of time and space!

    Have removed it.

    T A R T, Aug 31, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    PAM. Guest

    "T A R T" <> wrote in message
    > I thought it was a waste of time and space!

    I see NASA do one with some more interesting info on it.

    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

    PAM.

    PAM., Aug 31, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SteveM wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...
    >>>>

    >>> I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
    >>> river that goes down our vally. Piss poor.
    >>> I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada.
    >>> Interesting: it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps
    >>> available you can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on
    >>> the ships in port!, but get a few miles out into the country side
    >>> and it's like I described above (utterly forgettable; useless as
    >>> tits on a bull).
    >>>
    >>> I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that
    >>> the original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

    >> Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You
    >> can see my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.
    >>
    >> My current position is 37° 11' 32.06" South 174° 53' 19.47" East.
    >> That white bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the
    >> Clearlite roof over a small deck.

    > So that's where the DVD went.

    :) Indeed it is thanks.

    > It came from 36°52'18.14"S 36°52'18.14"S

    Ok, mistake there buddy, South twice, no East. :)

    > My view is nowhere as good as yours....

    Strange that Puke is so well covered.

    > As an aside, my father-in-law was living in Italy when he had a turn
    > for the worse (he's OK now). He was staying in a tiny southern
    > italian village which I was able to find, and was very lucky as the
    > resolution was as good as Puke' - if not better.
    > It was just nice to be able to see where he was and see some of the
    > things that he described to us. I showed it to him when he came home
    > and he was blown away. He reckoned that none of the residents in that
    > little village would be aware of how "visable" they are to the rest
    > of the world....
    >
    > For those interested the village is called Viggano and is located at:
    > 40°20'24.34"N 15°53'57.46"E

    That's right on that big intersection.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    SteveM Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > SteveM wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    >>> Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You
    >>> can see my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.
    >>>
    >>> My current position is 37° 11' 32.06" South 174° 53' 19.47" East.
    >>> That white bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the
    >>> Clearlite roof over a small deck.

    >> So that's where the DVD went.

    >:) Indeed it is thanks.
    >
    >> It came from 36°52'18.14"S 36°52'18.14"S

    > Ok, mistake there buddy, South twice, no East. :)

    Woops 36°52'18.14"S 174°49'48.83"E

    <snip>

    SteveM

    SteveM, Aug 31, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SteveM wrote:
    > Woops 36°52'18.14"S 174°49'48.83"E

    Cool. You live by three white blobs. Two large ones and a smaller one.

    What terrible resolution. What sort of jamming mechanism are you using? <g>.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2005