    pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So check
    it out.

    http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    Graham, Jul 12, 2005

  2. > Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    > pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

    check
    > it out.

    Any idea how big the download is?

    Fortitudo Dei, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Graham

    Nova Guest

    Fortitudo Dei wrote:
    >>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    >>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

    > check
    >
    >>it out.
    >>

    > Any idea how big the download is?

    10 megs

    Nova, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Graham

    jedmeister Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    > pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    > check
    > it out.
    >
    > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
    maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...

    see...

    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    jedmeister, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Graham

    michael Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    >>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    >>check
    >>it out.
    >>
    >>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
    > maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >
    > see...
    >
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    err, google earth is free.

    michael, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Graham

    Nova Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    >>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    >>check
    >>it out.
    >>
    >>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
    > maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >
    > see...
    >
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    180 megs.. slightly larger than the 10 for the google earth...
    Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

    Nova, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Graham

    brazen Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message

    > Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

    wooo, well I'm pretty sure I can identify my roof.

    Gay

    brazen, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Nova wrote:
    >>> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of
    >>> those few
    >>> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

    >> Any idea how big the download is?

    > 10 megs

    but it chews through bandwidth when grabbing map detail.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Graham

    jedmeister Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > jedmeister wrote:
    >> "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those
    >>>few
    >>>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    >>>check
    >>>it out.
    >>>
    >>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    >> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ
    >> sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >>
    >> see...
    >>
    >> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
    >>

    > 180 megs.. slightly larger than the 10 for the google earth...
    > Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

    Well, it is better quality than google earth in my opinion and it has
    superior 3d mapping. It is perhaps missing some of the fancy settings such
    as distance fading and ocean bitmapping.

    jedmeister, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Graham

    Peter Grooby Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    > pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So check
    > it out.
    >
    > http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    The cool thing it took me a few days to discover.
    Under the view setting set elevation adjustment, or whatever it is
    called to the max value of 3, then go somewhere mountainous and tilt the
    view angle, rotating the camera at this point is cool too,

    Peter
    Remove pants from email address to reply.

    Peter Grooby, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Graham

    Kent Smith Guest

    Peter Grooby wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of
    >> those few pieces of software that really shows the value of modern
    >> computers. So check it out.
    >>
    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html
    >>

    > The cool thing it took me a few days to discover.
    > Under the view setting set elevation adjustment, or whatever it is
    > called to the max value of 3, then go somewhere mountainous and tilt
    > the view angle, rotating the camera at this point is cool too,

    Go to a major US city, turn 'buildings' on and tilt the view angle. Quite
    cool using the positional arrows to fly between them.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Graham

    Allistar Guest

    michael wrote:

    > jedmeister wrote:
    >> "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those
    >>>few pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers.
    >>>So check
    >>>it out.
    >>>
    >>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    >> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ
    >> sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >>
    >> see...
    >>
    >> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
    >>

    > err, google earth is free.

    Only for people who run Windows.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 13, 2005
  13. Allistar wrote:

    >>>But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ
    >>>sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >>>see...
    >>>http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    >>err, google earth is free.

    > Only for people who run Windows.

    heh, not bad
    less than two days and the OS war has begun already.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2005
  14. Graham

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > michael wrote:
    >
    >> jedmeister wrote:
    >>> "Graham" <> wrote in message

    >>> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for
    >>> NZ sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >>>
    >>> see...
    >>>
    >>> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
    >>>

    >> err, google earth is free.

    > Only for people who run Windows.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Likewise the NASA program:

    System Requirements
    Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, or XP

    Nik Coughin, Jul 13, 2005
  15. Graham

    brazen Guest

    "Peter Grooby" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those
    >> few
    >> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    >> check
    >> it out.
    >>
    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html
    >>

    > The cool thing it took me a few days to discover.
    > Under the view setting set elevation adjustment, or whatever it is
    > called to the max value of 3, then go somewhere mountainous and tilt the
    > view angle, rotating the camera at this point is cool too,

    Ah, much better, though its terrain isnt very accurate - in my area it has
    (ribbon) rivers going along halfway up hills. The roads seem to be about 100
    metres out too. I guess the cities where they are fully mapped are more
    accurate.

    Gay

    brazen, Jul 13, 2005
  16. Graham

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>err, google earth is free.

    >> Only for people who run Windows.

    > heh, not bad
    > less than two days and the OS war has begun already.

    Just dispelling the myth that Google Earth is free - no OS scrap intended.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 13, 2005
  17. jedmeister wrote:
    > "Graham" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
    >>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
    >>check
    >>it out.
    >>
    >>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
    > maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >
    > see...
    >
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    MS only.

    :(

    A L P

    Agnes Volestrangler XIII, Jul 13, 2005
  18. Graham

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in news:72XAe.99$:

    >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

    > But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ
    > sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
    >
    > see...
    >
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

    It is complementry not exclusive
    One has advantages over the other in certain situations. Please do not ask
    me what they are, google for your yourself

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 13, 2005
  19. Graham

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>Only for people who run Windows.

    >>heh, not bad
    >>less than two days and the OS war has begun already.

    > Just dispelling the myth that Google Earth is free - no OS scrap intended.
    >
    > Allistar.

    hang on you also had to buy the pc as well this google earth is getting
    pricy.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 13, 2005
  20. Graham

    PAM. Guest