    warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.

    RoseD1, May 2, 2006

  2. On 2006-05-02, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, RoseD1 gibbered:
    > I wanted to down desktop but got a warning about how much space I
    > needed.Which I have 93% of it is unused so how can this be?????It
    > warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    > would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    > change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.

    Consider it changed. Happy to help.

    --
    The Old Sourdough

    The Old Sourdough, May 2, 2006

  3. RoseD1

    RoseD1 Guest

    OK but is it ok to download for me?I really want it but that warning
    scared me,is it really that big of a file?

    RoseD1, May 2, 2006
  4. On Tue, 02 May 2006 04:44:19 -0700, RoseD1 wrote:

    > OK but is it ok to download for me?I really want it but that warning
    > scared me,is it really that big of a file?

    1.5 megabytes. Would almost fit on a floppy.

    Chuck Lysaght, May 2, 2006
  5. "Chuck Lysaght" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 04:44:19 -0700, RoseD1 wrote:
    >
    >> OK but is it ok to download for me?I really want it but that warning
    >> scared me,is it really that big of a file?

    > 1.5 megabytes. Would almost fit on a floppy.

    The indexing uses a staggering amount of disk space though. Use Yahoo
    Desktop Search if you don't need it to work with network drives. PCPro
    found it to be a lot better. If you have network drives to index use
    Copernic Desktop. Look at the comparison reviews:

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/139/desktop-search/products.html

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, May 2, 2006
  6. RoseD1

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-02, RoseD1 <> wrote:
    > I wanted to down desktop but got a warning about how much space I
    > needed.Which I have 93% of it is unused so how can this be?????It
    > warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    > would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    > change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.

    I don't think anyone from Google reads this international public (nothing
    at all to do with Google) usenet newsgroup, and only Google can change
    what their software does.

    One hopes that only you can change the contents of your computer's hard
    drive(s) - although as you contemplate installing programs whose purpose
    you seem not to understand, that may be a misplaced hope.

    I've just visited <http://desktop.google.com/> to see what "Google
    Desktop" actually is:

    ..-----
    | [...]
    | View personalized news, photos, and more on your desktop
    | Search for files across all your computers New!
    | Share information with your friends right from the Sidebar New!
    | Quickly find your emails, files, web history, and more New!
    | [...]
    | Keep floating panels on your desktop New!
    | or dock them to the Sidebar
    | [...]
    | Requires Windows XP or Windows 2000 SP 3+
    | Automatically starts when you turn on your computer
    | Compressed index efficiently uses disk space
    | Only 1.5MB download
    | [...]
    '-----

    Any program that does all that, is going to need a fair bit of space on
    your hard disc(s) to store all those indexes and 'other stuff', and is
    going to keep your hardware busy building and maintaining the indexes - so
    you may well notice that 'your computer has got slower'. The small
    download of the basic program(s) is just the start of it.

    If what you want to do is keep track of your emails, photographs, music,
    and word-processor documents, then you can do that yourself by organising
    them properly - no special programs required. The rest of it just looks
    to me like flim-flam and gimmickry.

    Any program that requires you to '...agree to our ... privacy policy...'
    should put you on your guard immediately; it suggests that the program can
    put your data at the disposal of someone else - not a very sensible thing
    to do! I looked at the 'privacy policy', and I am not reassured:

    ..-----
    | [...]
    | If you choose to enable Advanced Features, Google Desktop may send
    | information about the websites that you visit to provide enhanced Google
    | Desktop functions, such as personalizing news displayed in Sidebar.
    | Enabling Advanced Features also allows Google Desktop to collect a limited
    | amount of non-personal information from your computer and send it to
    | Google. This includes summary information, such as the number of searches
    | you do and the time it takes for you to see your results, and application
    | reports we'll use to make the program better.
    |
    | If you choose to enable Search Across Computers, Google will securely
    | transmit copies of your indexed files to Google servers, in order to
    | provide the feature. Google treats the contents of your indexed files as
    | personal information, in accordance with the Google Privacy Policy.
    | [...]
    '-----

    So, if you want Google to slow down your computer, fill up your hard
    disc(s), deluge you with 'personalised' adverts (the reason for the thing
    being 'free'), and have a good look at everything you do with your computer,
    then go ahead. If not, find out how to use the File Manager, email, and
    other software that you already have.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 2, 2006
  7. Whiskers wrote:

    > I've just visited <http://desktop.google.com/> to see what "Google
    > Desktop" actually is:

    >| If you choose to enable Search Across Computers, Google will securely
    >| transmit copies of your indexed files to Google servers,

    Begs the question: Why in the world would anyone want Google to know
    what is on his/her own computer? Other than Google wants to own the
    planet...

    This software is a definite NAY in my book.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2006
  8. RoseD1

    RoseD1 Guest

    Thank you then I wont risk it!Thanks alot!!!!!

    RoseD1, May 2, 2006
  9. RoseD1

    beenthere Guest

    "RoseD1" <> wrote in message
    >I wanted to down desktop but got a warning about how much space I
    > needed.Which I have 93% of it is unused so how can this be?????It
    > warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    > would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    > change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.

    your OS can already do anything that `desktop` can do, so...
    why bother ?.
    Why people keep duplicating programs on their machine, when the
    ones that came with the OS work, always puzzle me.

    beenthere, May 2, 2006
  10. RoseD1

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya RoseD1.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > I wanted to down desktop but got a warning about how much space I
    > needed.Which I have 93% of it is unused so how can this be?????It
    > warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    > would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    > change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.

    I can see you've already decided against Google Desktop. Good. Proper
    manual sorting of your files is a far better idea than letting third party
    software index it all for you and maybe even report home about content.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, May 2, 2006
  11. "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > "RoseD1" <> wrote in message
    >>I wanted to down desktop but got a warning about how much space I
    >> needed.Which I have 93% of it is unused so how can this be?????It
    >> warned it could slow me down.Should I worry and not install it????Why
    >> would it possibly take up so much room?If this is true I suggest you
    >> change that I hardly have anything on my hard drive.
    >>

    > your OS can already do anything that `desktop` can do, so...
    > why bother ?.
    > Why people keep duplicating programs on their machine, when the
    > ones that came with the OS work, always puzzle me.

    Windows indexing is a pile of shite. If you have many files on different
    network drives, one of these programs can do even find a search string
    within a document within a couple of seconds. You obviously have no
    experience of these programs or don't have much data. I am trying out the
    trial of ISYS. It's fantastic, but costs far too much to ever buy, so I am
    going to stick with Copernic Desktop.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, May 3, 2006
  12. RoseD1

    RoseD1 Guest

    Wow you all really gave me alot to think about glad I got the warning!I
    will pass,too much to worry about!Thank you all!!!!!

    RoseD1, May 3, 2006
  13. RoseD1

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 14:28:27 +0000, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Google Desktop
    > From: "Synapse Syndrome" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:28:27 GMT
    >

    > "Chuck Lysaght" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 02 May 2006 04:44:19 -0700, RoseD1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK but is it ok to download for me?I really want it but that warning
    >>> scared me,is it really that big of a file?

    >> 1.5 megabytes. Would almost fit on a floppy.

    > The indexing uses a staggering amount of disk space though.

    Yeh but the OP asked what the file size was.

    Meat Plow, May 3, 2006
  14. RoseD1

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-03, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 14:28:27 +0000, Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Google Desktop
    >> From: "Synapse Syndrome" <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:28:27 GMT
    >>

    >> "Chuck Lysaght" <> wrote in message

    >>> 1.5 megabytes. Would almost fit on a floppy.

    >> The indexing uses a staggering amount of disk space though.

    > Yeh but the OP asked what the file size was.

    .... which is the wrong question ;))

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 3, 2006