    Regards,

    Dave C.
    , Mar 5, 2014

  2. Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:
    > A few months ago, I replaced my XP with a new Asus with Win 8.1. Now, I have generated a number of docx and xlsx files.
    >
    > Google Desktop finds only two docx and one xlsx files. I have updated and re-indexed twice and giving it a couple of weeks in between to do indexing, it still does not find these files.
    >
    > I have specified the folders and drives in the preferences to no avail.
    >
    > Is there something I have missed?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave C.

    Welcome to the world of Micro$uck..
    Robert Baer, Mar 6, 2014

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > A few months ago, I replaced my XP with a new Asus with Win 8.1. Now, I have generated a number of docx and xlsx files.
    >
    > Google Desktop finds only two docx and one xlsx files. I have updated and re-indexed twice and giving it a couple of weeks in between to do indexing, it still does not find these files.
    >
    > I have specified the folders and drives in the preferences to no avail.
    >
    > Is there something I have missed?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave C.

    Does it make a difference, what account you install it with,
    or what account you run it with ?

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 6, 2014
  4. Guest

    On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:22:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
    > A few months ago, I replaced my XP with a new Asus with Win 8.1. Now, I have generated a number of docx and xlsx files.
    >

    > Google Desktop finds only two docx and one xlsx files. I have updated and re-indexed twice and giving it a couple of weeks in between to do indexing, it still does not find these files.
    >

    > I have specified the folders and drives in the preferences to no avail.
    >

    > Is there something I have missed?
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Dave C.

    Paul,

    I am not sure how to answer this. I am a single user and the administrator.

    My prior computer had three separate hard drives: C:, D:,and E:.

    My new computer has only one hard drive, one terabyte.

    This new computer has one titled C: drive, the main drive.

    Also there is a folder on this drive that contains all the files from the old C: drive.

    There is another folder that contains all the user files from my old D: drive.

    There is a third folder that contains all the user files from my old E: drive.

    So basically this single terabyte drive has all my user files but distributed in separate folders.

    For example, in the C: drive, I have a Word folder that contains a dozen or more docx files and Google searching for *.docx only reports two files.

    I know this is wordy but maybe there is an answer somewhere in my description

    Regards.

    Dave C.
    , Mar 7, 2014
  5. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:22:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
    >> A few months ago, I replaced my XP with a new Asus with Win 8.1. Now, I have generated a number of docx and xlsx files.
    >>

    >> Google Desktop finds only two docx and one xlsx files. I have updated and re-indexed twice and giving it a couple of weeks in between to do indexing, it still does not find these files.
    >>

    >> I have specified the folders and drives in the preferences to no avail.
    >>

    >> Is there something I have missed?
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>

    >> Dave C.

    > Paul,
    >
    > I am not sure how to answer this. I am a single user and the administrator.
    >
    > My prior computer had three separate hard drives: C:, D:,and E:.
    >
    > My new computer has only one hard drive, one terabyte.
    >
    > This new computer has one titled C: drive, the main drive.
    >
    > Also there is a folder on this drive that contains all the files from the old C: drive.
    >
    > There is another folder that contains all the user files from my old D: drive.
    >
    > There is a third folder that contains all the user files from my old E: drive.
    >
    > So basically this single terabyte drive has all my user files but distributed in separate folders.
    >
    > For example, in the C: drive, I have a Word folder that contains a dozen or more docx files and Google searching for *.docx only reports two files.
    >
    > I know this is wordy but maybe there is an answer somewhere in my description
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Dave C.

    OK, I've never used that Google product, so I have
    nothing to go on.

    I would do a search, where you give a wild card that returns "everything".
    Maybe if you leave the search box blank, it'll return all the files.
    Then, look for a pattern as to what files are (apparently)
    in the index. If some disk-sized groups of files are missing,
    perhaps the ownership permissions of the files have caused
    Google to not index them. (Google was worried about information
    leakage at one point, so if data files are owned by two accounts,
    and you're searching using one of the accounts, it may not list
    the files owned by the other account.)

    Some examples of trying to fix ownership issues.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archiv...vista-secret-11-deleting-the-undeletable.aspx

    http://serverfault.com/questions/154018/take-ownership-of-ntfs-volume-after-moving-to-new-machine

    Also, you have to be careful about the syntax of what you feed search
    engines. Some developers would use regex expressions, without telling
    you that they're doing so. Microsoft has their own search language as
    well, like "ext:docx" to aid in crafting expressions. I doubt you're
    feeding it something that exotic, but consider whether your
    command is somehow being misinterpreted.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 7, 2014
  6. Guest

    On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:22:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
    > A few months ago, I replaced my XP with a new Asus with Win 8.1. Now, I have generated a number of docx and xlsx files.
    >

    > Google Desktop finds only two docx and one xlsx files. I have updated and re-indexed twice and giving it a couple of weeks in between to do indexing, it still does not find these files.
    >

    > I have specified the folders and drives in the preferences to no avail.
    >

    > Is there something I have missed?
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Dave C.

    Paul,

    I have narrowed down the issue.

    It seems that all the files generated on my previous XP computer with Office 2000 are recognized fine. (*.doc, *.xls. etc.)

    Now that I am running Office 2007 that generates file extensions such as *.docx. *.xlsx. these file extensions somehow do not get recognized with Google Desktop search even after I updated it.

    As time goes on, I may look to an alternate desktop search engine.

    Regards and thanks for your ideas,

    Dave C.
    , Mar 8, 2014