    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
    > remote access/searching?
    >
    > personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
    > search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
    > to have at work...
    >
    > sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
    > geek elite :)

    Sounds like you should use ssh.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Allistar wrote:
    >>I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
    >>remote access/searching?
    >>personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
    >>search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
    >>to have at work...

    >>sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
    >>geek elite :)

    > Sounds like you should use ssh.

    I vpn in.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >>>I wonder how long it will take for someone to open up google desktop to
    >>>remote access/searching?
    >>>personally, I'd love this, passworded of course, but being able to
    >>>search my home machine, click and "download" the email/file that I want
    >>>to have at work...

    >>>sure theres plenty of potential for abuse, but ut'd be handy for the
    >>>geek elite :)

    >> Sounds like you should use ssh.

    > I vpn in.

    I do to (to one of my clients). VPN provides access to the office subnet,
    ssh provides access to everything on my office computer from home,
    including the file system, applications etc. Seems to do everything the
    suggested google desktop would achieve.

    Allistar, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Allistar wrote:
    >>>Sounds like you should use ssh.

    >>I vpn in.

    > I do to (to one of my clients). VPN provides access to the office subnet,
    > ssh provides access to everything on my office computer from home,
    > including the file system, applications etc. Seems to do everything the
    > suggested google desktop would achieve.

    yes but it would bring it to the unwashed masses.

    personally I'm looking at taking the usual search function of my start
    menu and just using google search, it is fantastic.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004