Google desktop on a limited account

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian Christiansen, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. I usually use a limited rather than a administrator account with my computer
    that has XP on it, and only use the administrator account for installing
    software, etc. The only exception to that so far is when I play simcity
    3000 because I can't save the games unless I save them to "my documents" in
    the limited accounts. I figure that this one use is not too terrible a
    breach of security.

    Well anyway, my question is about google desktop. It runs just fine on the
    administrator account, but on the limited account, I get the following error
    message: "Could not upgrade database..." The error number given was "D 800
    70005 20051111" ( I hope I copied that right because I cant figure out how
    to copy and paste from an error window). The only things I can think of to
    do are to live with the error message coming up every time, run the google
    as under an administrator account (but for something that accesses the
    internet, as opposed to a game, I really don't want to), or uninstall the
    software. The only other thing I can think of is getting it running under a
    limited account, but I can't find anything about doing that.

    I googled and found somebody who had this same problem
    (http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...roup/Google-Desktop/browse_frm/month/2006-02?)
    but could not find any solution.

    Brian Christiansen

    Brian Christiansen, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Brian Christiansen

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Brian Christiansen wrote:
    > I usually use a limited rather than a administrator account with my computer
    > that has XP on it, and only use the administrator account for installing
    > software, etc. The only exception to that so far is when I play simcity
    > 3000 because I can't save the games unless I save them to "my documents" in
    > the limited accounts. I figure that this one use is not too terrible a
    > breach of security.
    >
    > Well anyway, my question is about google desktop. It runs just fine on the
    > administrator account, but on the limited account, I get the following error
    > message: "Could not upgrade database..." The error number given was "D 800
    > 70005 20051111" ( I hope I copied that right because I cant figure out how
    > to copy and paste from an error window). The only things I can think of to
    > do are to live with the error message coming up every time, run the google
    > as under an administrator account (but for something that accesses the
    > internet, as opposed to a game, I really don't want to), or uninstall the
    > software. The only other thing I can think of is getting it running under a
    > limited account, but I can't find anything about doing that.
    >
    > I googled and found somebody who had this same problem
    > (http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...roup/Google-Desktop/browse_frm/month/2006-02?)
    > but could not find any solution.
    >
    > Brian Christiansen

    The Limited account doesn't have the authority to do the update. You can
    find the exe and right-click and use the Run As and give an account that
    has Admin rights. I have never had to do it but you can use that option.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 13, 2006

  3. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > The Limited account doesn't have the authority to do the update. You can
    > find the exe and right-click and use the Run As and give an account that
    > has Admin rights. I have never had to do it but you can use that option.

    That is exactly the point. For a game, I feel it might be a small breach of
    security to run a game as an administrator account, but not all that serious
    a breach. A program that accesses the internet, such as google desktop,
    however, is a different kettle of fish, and a seucity hole I would just
    rather not have, so I guess my only optioon is to uninstall google desktop.

    Brian Christiansen

    Brian Christiansen, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Brian Christiansen

    Deano Guest

    Brian Christiansen wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> The Limited account doesn't have the authority to do the update. You
    >> can find the exe and right-click and use the Run As and give an
    >> account that has Admin rights. I have never had to do it but you can
    >> use that option.
    >>

    > That is exactly the point. For a game, I feel it might be a small
    > breach of security to run a game as an administrator account, but not
    > all that serious a breach. A program that accesses the internet, such
    > as google desktop, however, is a different kettle of fish, and a
    > seucity hole I would just rather not have, so I guess my only optioon
    > is to uninstall google desktop.
    >
    > Brian Christiansen

    Tends to be the way in the Windows world that programmers assume you're
    running as Admin, and not without good cause. Google Desktop is still in
    Beta, if that means anything for Google products.

    Deano, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Brian Christiansen

    Tony Guest

    "Brian Christiansen" <> wrote in message
    >I usually use a limited rather than a administrator account with my
    >computer that has XP on it, and only use the administrator account for
    >installing software, etc. The only exception to that so far is when I play
    >simcity 3000 because I can't save the games unless I save them to "my
    >documents" in the limited accounts. I figure that this one use is not too
    >terrible a breach of security.
    >
    > Well anyway, my question is about google desktop. It runs just fine on the
    > administrator account, but on the limited account, I get the following
    > error message: "Could not upgrade database..." The error number given was
    > "D 800 70005 20051111" ( I hope I copied that right because I cant figure
    > out how to copy and paste from an error window). The only things I can
    > think of to do are to live with the error message coming up every time,
    > run the google as under an administrator account (but for something that
    > accesses the internet, as opposed to a game, I really don't want to), or
    > uninstall the software. The only other thing I can think of is getting it
    > running under a limited account, but I can't find anything about doing
    > that.
    >
    > I googled and found somebody who had this same problem
    > (http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...roup/Google-Desktop/browse_frm/month/2006-02?)
    > but could not find any solution.
    >
    > Brian Christiansen

    Temporarily give the limited account Admin rights. Install Google Desktop
    (it will put a database in the users folder) & allow it to do the indexing.
    Restore account back to limited.

    Tony, Feb 13, 2006