    ads to certain topics & locations.

    I'd be grateful for any pointers!

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Adam

    Peter Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > I'm thinking of putting up a charity site - and was wondering whether
    > it was worth ruining the design of the site by placing some Google
    > "AdSense" banner ads to help raise money.
    >
    > Google are (unsurprisingly) reticent in saying exactly how much
    > they're likely to pay. Does anyone have any idea?
    >
    > I can't imagine the site pulling millions of visits a day, so was
    > wondering whether it was really worth the bother.
    >
    > The reason I thought of Google was that they at least narrow down the
    > ads to certain topics & locations.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any pointers!

    I ran google adsense on my personal pages for a year or 2. This netted
    about $100 a year, ie a few cents a day. How much you earn will depend
    entirely on who much traffic comes to your site, and how many of your
    visitors click on the ads.

    However, it isn't all goodness and light. One day, Google just closed my
    adsense account, claimed they had detected "instances of invalid clicks".
    They wouldn't review this or tell me what they thought had happened. I
    know I haven't done anything fraudulent, and suspect someone had used ads
    on my site for some scheme. (eg clicking repeatedly on an ad to hurt the
    advertiser by costing them money).

    So, by all means try it out, but I would recommend you don't go to too much
    bother, and don't rely on it.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:12:52 +1300, Peter wrote:

    >Adam wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of putting up a charity site - and was wondering whether
    >> it was worth ruining the design of the site by placing some Google
    >> "AdSense" banner ads to help raise money.
    >>
    >> Google are (unsurprisingly) reticent in saying exactly how much
    >> they're likely to pay. Does anyone have any idea?
    >>
    >> I can't imagine the site pulling millions of visits a day, so was
    >> wondering whether it was really worth the bother.
    >>
    >> The reason I thought of Google was that they at least narrow down the
    >> ads to certain topics & locations.
    >>
    >> I'd be grateful for any pointers!

    >I ran google adsense on my personal pages for a year or 2. This netted
    >about $100 a year, ie a few cents a day. How much you earn will depend
    >entirely on who much traffic comes to your site, and how many of your
    >visitors click on the ads.
    >
    >However, it isn't all goodness and light. One day, Google just closed my
    >adsense account, claimed they had detected "instances of invalid clicks".
    >They wouldn't review this or tell me what they thought had happened. I
    >know I haven't done anything fraudulent, and suspect someone had used ads
    >on my site for some scheme. (eg clicking repeatedly on an ad to hurt the
    >advertiser by costing them money).
    >
    >So, by all means try it out, but I would recommend you don't go to too much
    >bother, and don't rely on it.

    Thanks for that, Peter - any idea [roughly] how many page visits
    translated to how many clicks - or if you ever worked out what the
    price per click was?

    I was thinking of hosting it out of my own money - then giving Google
    a charity account to pay into (I wonder whether they'd even do that).

    Thanks,

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 14, 2006

  4. >
    > I can't imagine the site pulling millions of visits a day, so was
    > wondering whether it was really worth the bother.
    >
    > The reason I thought of Google was that they at least narrow down the
    > ads to certain topics & locations.

    It all depends how many people actually click on the ads. (Really had
    to tell until you put them on). You may get a 1% click per impression
    of the ads. (ie 1000 impressions per month. 10 Clicks.. $5 in your hand)
    for the month etc)

    If you want a little bit more income then its worth it.

    And what people are making? If you have a a large number of people
    looking at your site.. you can make hundreds per month..

    The Ads displayed are something relivant to your site
    you are hosting it on (it looks at the content etc and displays
    relivant ads (usually)

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Mar 14, 2006