Google "Chromebook" another symptom of the disease

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 20, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 20, 2012

  2. RichA

    Ron Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    > Of selling "services" rather than letting people own things. No hard
    > drive, just a small amount of solid-state memory. Which means aside
    > from an operating system, everything you do on this thing will be
    > "cloud-resident."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/index.html

    History repeats itself; this trend reminds me of when everyone in the
    workplace had a dumb terminal connected to the big mainframe. Makes
    sense for a few...

    Ron, Oct 20, 2012

  3. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:47:25 PM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    > Of selling "services" rather than letting people own things. No hard
    >
    > drive, just a small amount of solid-state memory. Which means aside
    >
    > from an operating system, everything you do on this thing will be
    >
    > "cloud-resident."
    >

    > http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/index.html

    SSD is great for speed, if you want storage use a NAS drive. If you are worried about Google install another Linux distro.

    Or you can configure Chromium OS to keep Google away, it is an open source project.

    It is cheaper and easier to use than both Apple and Windows. Use it the way you want it, with or without Google services.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 20, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 20, 1:19 pm, (Ron) wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > > Of selling "services" rather than letting people own things.  No hard
    > > drive, just a small amount of solid-state memory.  Which means aside
    > > from an operating system, everything you do on this thing will be
    > > "cloud-resident."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/index...

    > History repeats itself; this trend reminds me of when everyone in the
    > workplace had a dumb terminal connected to the big mainframe. Makes
    > sense for a few...

    I knew the end was near when individual printers became "Intranet"
    devices.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 20, 4:15 pm, DanP <> wrote:
    > On Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:47:25 PM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    > > Of selling "services" rather than letting people own things.  No hard

    > > drive, just a small amount of solid-state memory.  Which means aside

    > > from an operating system, everything you do on this thing will be

    > > "cloud-resident."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/index...

    > SSD is great for speed, if you want storage use a NAS drive. If you are worried about Google install another Linux distro.
    >
    > Or you can configure Chromium OS to keep Google away, it is an open source project.
    >
    > It is cheaper and easier to use than both Apple and Windows. Use it the way you want it, with or without Google services.
    >
    > DanP

    The jury is still out on the stability of SSD drives. Particular
    since there appears to be a lot of fake ones floating around. It's
    hard to fake a hard drive.

    RichA, Oct 21, 2012