    this hasn't really been available on PCs. Maybe Google can change this a
    bit.
    (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    Peter, Jul 8, 2009

  2. On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <> wrote:
    > Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    >
    > I hope so.  The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
    > this hasn't really been available on PCs.  Maybe Google can change this a
    > bit.
    > (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 8, 2009

  3. In article <h32rrs$1au$-september.org>, Peter <> wrote:

    >Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?
    >http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    >I hope so.

    MS haven't commented yet AFAIK. :)
    That said, gmail is only just out of beta after ~5 years. I heard (radio
    this morning ?) that chrome OS will be aimed at the netbook market to start
    with and that one major distributor will be offering it.

    > The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
    >this hasn't really been available on PCs.

    Well, that's basically not true ... but I'm guessing you knew that ? :)

    > Maybe Google can change this a bit.
    >(Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    ... and IMO replacing a desktop based monolpoly with a web based one would
    be a backward step. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 9, 2009
  4. Peter

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "vitw" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:19:43 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> The way to ave real freedom of choice in computing is to have the source
    >> code for the software available, and to be not encumbered by patents.

    > Always so true!
    >
    > I won't even run Google Desktop. Sorry, but I'm not ready to trust Google
    > with intimate details of my computing.
    >
    > As for a GoogleOS, I won't even consider installing it unless I see write-
    > ups from multiple teams of hackers either giving it a clean bill of
    > health for security/privacy, or detailing ways to arrest any privacy
    > threats.
    >
    > As for cloud computing - the only way I'd even dream of using that is if
    > it was an architecture where I hold private keys locally, such that
    > plaintext never travels to the host.

    Apparently it will be open source

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 9, 2009
  5. Peter

    Mutlley Guest

    Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <> wrote:
    >> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    >>
    >> I hope so.  The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
    >> this hasn't really been available on PCs.  Maybe Google can change this a
    >> bit.
    >> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    >It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

    I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

    Mutlley, Jul 9, 2009
  6. Peter

    AD. Guest

    On Jul 9, 10:18 am, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    > It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

    To me it sounds more like it will be positioned as a mostly stateless
    thin mobile client for "the Google cloud" - you boot this device and
    you just get a browser (chrome) for using all your Google apps.

    More like what MS was afraid of back in the 90s when they decided it
    would be a good time to nip this Netscape thing in the bud before
    their browser became a viable platform in its own right.

    Maybe Intels Moblin would be a closer competitor. I don't see it
    really directly competing with Ubuntu quite so much.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 9, 2009
  7. Peter

    PeeCee Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <> wrote:
    >>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the
    >>> desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    >>>
    >>> I hope so. The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice,
    >>> and
    >>> this hasn't really been available on PCs. Maybe Google can change this a
    >>> bit.
    >>> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    >>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

    > I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

    How about 'GOS'

    :)

    P.

    PeeCee, Jul 9, 2009
  8. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    >>On Jul 9, 7:21 am, Peter <> wrote:
    >>> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the

    > desktop?http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.ht
    >ml
    >>>
    >>> I hope so.  The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice, and
    >>> this hasn't really been available on PCs.  Maybe Google can change this a
    >>> bit.
    >>> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    >>It sounds like this 'new' OS will compete well with Ubuntu

    >I've seen it referred to a Goobuntu already..

    :) Didn't sound like it to me. Sounded more like the design end point (still
    years away) was something like 'a set of web applications' rather than an
    OS. I guess we'll see. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 9, 2009
  9. Peter

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "trueone" <> wrote in message
    > I tried Windows 7 but found I like Vista better.

    Huh?

    How so? Genuinely interested.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 9, 2009
  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jul 9, 2009
  11. Peter

    victor Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > geoff wrote:

    >>> Gind OS

    >> Will the OS link directly to advertising sites ?!!!!

    > ... and monitor one's computing habits and automatically report them to the
    > highest bidder. Not to mention the contents of your documents !
    >
    > geoff

    Its a Faustian bargain to be sure.
    But if you have something to hide then hide it.
    If you use their operating system, you will probably use Google
    Documents anyway.
    When I get attachments in gmail on my phone or netbook I usually view
    them in google docs.
    I don't see that its any less secure than anyone elses email.

    victor, Jul 9, 2009
  12. Peter

    Me Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > geoff wrote:

    >>> Gind OS

    >> Will the OS link directly to advertising sites ?!!!!

    > ... and monitor one's computing habits and automatically report them to the
    > highest bidder. Not to mention the contents of your documents !

    Amazing number of negative expectations expressed in this thread.
    At worst, it's one more choice of OS.

    Me, Jul 9, 2009
  13. Peter

    victor Guest

    Me wrote:
    > geoff wrote:
    >> geoff wrote:

    >>> Will the OS link directly to advertising sites ?!!!!

    >> ... and monitor one's computing habits and automatically report them
    >> to the highest bidder. Not to mention the contents of your documents !
    >>

    > Amazing number of negative expectations expressed in this thread.
    > At worst, it's one more choice of OS.

    At best its a new gui on linux without the baggage of the x window system.
    Nice !

    victor, Jul 9, 2009
  14. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > geoff wrote:

    >>> Gind OS

    >> Will the OS link directly to advertising sites ?!!!!

    > ... and monitor one's computing habits and automatically report them to
    > the highest bidder. Not to mention the contents of your documents !

    If you're as paranoid as you sound, stay off the internet. It's not safe for
    you.

    impossible, Jul 10, 2009
  15. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >

    >> Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?
    >> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    >>
    >> I hope so. The only real protection us users have is freedom of choice,
    >> and
    >> this hasn't really been available on PCs. Maybe Google can change this a
    >> bit.
    >> (Of course, replacing one monopoly with another doesn't really help.)

    > The way to ave real freedom of choice in computing is to have the source
    > code for the software available, and to be not encumbered by patents.

    Please post links to all the software you've developed, Allistar.

    Oh, wait....no, you're a proprietary developer who just fancies the free
    code and applications that others contribute. Hypocrisy runs deep!

    impossible, Jul 10, 2009
  16. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> The way to ave real freedom of choice in computing is to have the source
    >>> code for the software available, and to be not encumbered by patents.

    >> Please post links to all the software you've developed, Allistar.
    >>
    >> Oh, wait....no, you're a proprietary developer who just fancies the free
    >> code and applications that others contribute. Hypocrisy runs deep!

    > I have contributed to open source applications.
    >
    > I develop software for a living. I do so mostly as "work for hire" which
    > means the license used with the software is not a decision I can make. For
    > software I develop and sell myself, why would I give it away for nothing?
    > have mouths to feed. There is no hypocrisy here.
    > --

    Fair enough. But then why would you state that "real freedom of choice in
    computing is to have the source code for the software available...". You've
    made a free choice to develop proprietary software to earn a living.
    Obviously, you share no source code for any of that. Yet you take full
    advantage of the open source tools devleoped by others without compensating
    anyone. Hardly seems fair.

    impossible, Jul 10, 2009
  17. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > vitw wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 23:06:06 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please post links to all the software you've developed, Allistar.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, wait....no, you're a proprietary developer who just fancies the free
    >>> code and applications that others contribute. Hypocrisy runs deep!

    >> Allistar, is that true? If so, not a very consistent state of affairs.

    > I said "the way to have freedom of choice in computing is to have the
    > course
    > code for the software available, and not to be encumbered by patents". I
    > happen to develop open as well as closed source software. I see no
    > hypocrisy. The people who buy my software are perfectly free not to, and
    > go elsewhere. They have that freedom. *They* make that choice.
    > --

    Please post links to all the open-source software you've developed,
    Allistar.

    impossible, Jul 10, 2009
  18. In message <oqg5m.261716$1.easynews.com>, trueone
    wrote:

    > I tried Windows 7 but found I like Vista better.

    We've had XP diehards, but Vista diehards?!?

    What's the world coming to...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 10, 2009
  19. Peter

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 07:21:47 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Could this challenge Microsoft's dominance of the desktop?

    No but it should do a good job of killing of the penguin.

    Bye bye Linux.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jul 10, 2009
  20. Peter

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:47:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <oqg5m.261716$1.easynews.com>, trueone
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I tried Windows 7 but found I like Vista better.

    > We've had XP diehards, but Vista diehards?!?
    >
    > What's the world coming to...

    Vista Just Works.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jul 10, 2009