Google blocking bad sites

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Kenning, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. T'was the Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:04:40 +1300 when I remembered Craig
    Shore <> saying something like this:

    >This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?
    >
    >I clicked on one of the search results and it came up with a google page with
    >this...

    Phishing filter as part of FF2.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Waylon Kenning

    Craig Shore Guest

    This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?

    I clicked on one of the search results and it came up with a google page with
    this...

    Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
    You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer
    at StopBadware.org.

    Suggestions:

    * Return to the previous page and pick another result.
    * Try another search to find what you're looking for.

    Or you can continue to <snipped> at your own risk.

    Advisory provided by Google

    Craig Shore, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Waylon Kenning

    k Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:04:40 +1300 when I remembered Craig
    > Shore <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?
    >>
    >> I clicked on one of the search results and it came up with a google page with
    >> this...

    > Phishing filter as part of FF2.

    If you read http://stopbadware.org/ there is some guff about it being
    built in to Google's results maybe half way down their front page under
    the heading "Safer Searching"

    k, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Waylon Kenning

    liamo Guest

    were you searching for toni marsh nude again?

    liamo, Dec 4, 2006
  5. Waylon Kenning

    Shane Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?
    >
    > I clicked on one of the search results and it came up with a google page
    > with this...
    >

    > Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
    > You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your
    > computer
    > at StopBadware.org.
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > * Return to the previous page and pick another result.
    > * Try another search to find what you're looking for.
    >
    > Or you can continue to <snipped> at your own risk.
    >

    > Advisory provided by Google

    wtf I just got it as well

    and all I was visiting was a lyrics site :\

    --
    Fry: What did they die of?
    Kug: Crushed pelvises!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Dec 4, 2006
  6. On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:04:40 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?
    >
    > I clicked on one of the search results and it came up with a google page with
    > this...
    >

    > Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
    > You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer
    > at StopBadware.org.
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > * Return to the previous page and pick another result.
    > * Try another search to find what you're looking for.
    >
    > Or you can continue to <snipped> at your own risk.
    >

    > Advisory provided by Google

    Can't say I've ever seen this before.

    But it's an excellent service from Google, IMHO.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Waylon Kenning

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-04, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> This was a first for me, how long has google been doing this?

    About two months.

    > wtf I just got it as well

    google playing nanny...

    > and all I was visiting was a lyrics site :\

    Some of those sites have content aimed at recruiting your PC
    into a botnet etc...

    Also many warez sites, cracks sites, porn sites etc...

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Dec 5, 2006
  8. Waylon Kenning

    Phil Guest

    Craig Shore wrote, On 4/12/06 11.04 a:
    > Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
    > You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer
    > at StopBadware.org.

    They've been doing this for a while.

    It's slightly annoying, and there's no preference to turn it off. But to
    find some of these sites, you've got to expect something dodgy:
    <http://stopbadware.org/home/reportsearch?commit=Search+All>

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 5, 2006