Google at work on desktop Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutlley, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Mutlley

    shannon Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux
    > distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known
    > internally as 'Goobuntu'.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/

    Its short enough on any specifics to be meaningless.
    Perhaps they will make a version of google earth that runs on ubuntu
    That would be nice for schools. There are a few other Windows only
    Google apps that they could convert too.
    For the rest of it, google is already the default search engine in ff on
    ubuntu
    The ubuntu live cd even includes Windows versions of OpenOffice, Gaim
    and Firefox.
    They sent me five nicely produced free packs each containing an install
    CD and a live CD just for the asking.
    If as the writer thinks, the Ubuntu project derives some huge benefit
    from Google staff working on Ubuntu, he seems to be unaware that under
    ubuntus free software policies and the GPL that every other distribution
    will also benefit and of course that can only be a good thing.

    shannon, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Mutlley wrote:
    > A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux
    > distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known
    > internally as 'Goobuntu'.
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/

    Google denies plans to distribute OS based on Ubuntu

    1/31/2006 3:01:59 PM, by Anders Bylund

    A post on the Register, claiming that Google might be close to rolling out a
    "Goobuntu" Linux desktop distro, has been making the usual rounds in the tech
    news circuit today. Despite today being earnings release day, presumably a very
    busy time at the Google press relations office, technology spokeswoman Sonya
    Borälv responded very quickly to my query on the topic. She said that "[w]e use
    Ubuntu internally but have no plans to distribute it outside of the company."

    Mark Robinson, Feb 1, 2006