Google as default search engine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Glory, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Glory

    Glory Guest

    I have Google setup to be my default search engine when I click on the
    search button in IE6. It opens a split screen with Google on the left
    side and my main window on the right.

    I used to be able to enter something in the search box and then click
    on one of the results and it would open on the right side. It no
    longer does that. Now, the only way I can open any of the results is
    to right click and choose "Open in New Window".

    I'm not sure what caused this disconnect in the way it used to
    function. I tried reapplying the google.reg file using regedit, but
    it is still behaving in the same "wrong" way.

    Anyone have any idea what might solve this problem?

    A couple of possible things that I've done recently that may have
    interfered:
    1) Installed IE7, didn't like it, uninstalled
    2) Upgraded Yahoo IM to the newest version
    3) Installed Microsoft's XP service pack 3
    Glory, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:43:51 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Glory wrote:
    >> I have Google setup to be my default search engine when I click on the
    >> search button in IE6.

    >There are a really really really lot of things wrong with choosing IE6 as
    >your browser of choice. It is very very very weak and retarded in oh so
    >many areas, chiefly what it can't do to render modern webpages and what it
    >has wrong with its potential for its very very dangerous insecurities.
    >
    >It is possible to configure IE6 to be used securely with 'tight'
    >configuration and wary behaviors, but it is not possible to use IE6
    >securely and also to have a 'rich' web experience, either because you have
    >to restrict certain functions of the browser, or because IE6 cannot
    >perform modern webpage rendering. You definitely new a newer browser.
    >
    >> A couple of possible things that I've done recently that may have
    >> interfered:
    >> 1) Installed IE7, didn't like it, uninstalled

    >While IE7 is one choice to try to modernize your browser, it isn't really
    >a very good one. Many many people use a modern version of Firefox, Opera,
    >or even Safari.
    >
    >> 3) Installed Microsoft's XP service pack 3

    >Well I hope so.

    Your suggestions are duly noted, however, since I have to design
    webpages that can be viewed by those who don't use any of the more
    recent versions or even Firefox, Opera, or Safari, it seemed useful to
    retain IE6. Is there somewhere online that will allow one to test
    webpages on various platforms? If so, I could move up to something
    better.

    Thanks
    Glory, Oct 28, 2008

  3. Glory wrote:

    > Your suggestions are duly noted, however, since I have to design
    > webpages that can be viewed by those who don't use any of the more
    > recent versions or even Firefox, Opera, or Safari, it seemed useful
    > to retain IE6.

    "Phone-A-Friend?"

    You should be designing error-free compliant pages that work in *any*
    browser, regardless of brand. See:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator.html

    Use the HTML 4.01 Strict doctype.
    http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

    > Is there somewhere online that will allow one to test webpages on
    > various platforms?

    Barring calling the friend, this site is useful:
    http://browsershots.org/

    > If so, I could move up to something better.

    Regarding your 'default search engine' you can use Firefox and set the
    Search Box to default to any of numerous search engines. That's the
    dropdown choice where probably the "G" for google is the default.

    In Opera, I type: g search terms in the standard location bar and it
    goes right to google.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 28, 2008
  4. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:32:01 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Glory wrote:
    >
    >> Your suggestions are duly noted, however, since I have to design
    >> webpages that can be viewed by those who don't use any of the more
    >> recent versions or even Firefox, Opera, or Safari, it seemed useful
    >> to retain IE6.

    >"Phone-A-Friend?"

    That would be a useful suggestions if ANY of my friends knew how to
    design webpages.

    >You should be designing error-free compliant pages that work in *any*
    >browser, regardless of brand. See:
    >http://validator.w3.org/
    >http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator.html
    >
    >Use the HTML 4.01 Strict doctype.
    >http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

    True. I should. I just sometimes forget to do that.

    >> Is there somewhere online that will allow one to test webpages on
    >> various platforms?

    >Barring calling the friend, this site is useful:
    >http://browsershots.org/

    Thanks

    >> If so, I could move up to something better.

    >Regarding your 'default search engine' you can use Firefox and set the
    >Search Box to default to any of numerous search engines. That's the
    >dropdown choice where probably the "G" for google is the default.
    >
    >In Opera, I type: g search terms in the standard location bar and it
    >goes right to google.

    I'm afraid you've misunderstood what the issue was. When the left
    hand side pane opens upon pressing the search button in IE6, the
    results remain on the side (or at least they used to) so you don't
    have to keep returning to the google search page. That's what I liked
    about it. Simple results (links only) and hovering over the links
    gives you a brief idea of the page contents. Now that clicking on one
    of the result links no longer opens the site on the right side of the
    window, it isn't quite as useful.

    Oh well -- I've bit the bullet and installed IE8.
    Glory, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Glory wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>Glory wrote:
    >>> Your suggestions are duly noted, however, since I have to design
    >>> webpages that can be viewed by those who don't use any of the more
    >>> recent versions or even Firefox, Opera, or Safari, it seemed useful
    >>> to retain IE6.

    >> "Phone-A-Friend?"

    > That would be a useful suggestions if ANY of my friends knew how to
    > design webpages.

    Nooo, just ask them to check how it looks in their browsers. <g> Maybe
    email you a screenshot or two.

    <snip>

    >> Regarding your 'default search engine' you can use Firefox and set
    >> the Search Box to default to any of numerous search engines. That's
    >> the dropdown choice where probably the "G" for google is the
    >> default.
    >>
    >> In Opera, I type: g search terms in the standard location bar
    >> and it goes right to google.

    > I'm afraid you've misunderstood what the issue was. When the left
    > hand side pane opens upon pressing the search button in IE6, the
    > results remain on the side (or at least they used to) so you don't
    > have to keep returning to the google search page. That's what I
    > liked about it. Simple results (links only) and hovering over the
    > links gives you a brief idea of the page contents. Now that clicking
    > on one of the result links no longer opens the site on the right side
    > of the window, it isn't quite as useful.

    I did know what you meant; was suggesting alternatives. I'm in the habit
    of Control-Click (Firefox) on links at google, which opens a new tab
    with the choice.

    > Oh well -- I've bit the bullet and installed IE8.

    Ooh, I guess so!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 28, 2008
  6. Glory

    Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >I'm in the habit
    >of Control-Click (Firefox) on links at google, which opens a new tab
    >with the choice.

    Just click the scroll wheel on the link, no hunting for the control
    key.
    --

    http://bomomo.com/
    , Oct 29, 2008
  7. wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> I'm in the habit of Control-Click (Firefox) on links at google, which
    >> opens a new tab with the choice.

    > Just click the scroll wheel on the link, no hunting for the control
    > key.

    Sure, that too. But unless I'm sipping coffee, my other hand is always
    right next to the keyboard. And besides, this current mouse requires a
    ten-pound push on the wheel. (I should get a new one.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 29, 2008