Google and VoIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Rick Merrill, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rick Merrill, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    Jeremy Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
    >
    > - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
    >
    > Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
    >
    > see http://www.google.com/talk/

    Persons wanting a FULLY ENCRYPTED instant messenger, with both Voice and
    Text, should check out http://www.bitwiseim.com/ The BitWise I/M does
    not have any advertising, is secure, and is free for personal use. I
    dumped my other I/M apps months ago, and have never looked back.

    Just look at Google's Privacy Statement, as a comparison with BitWise:

    "When you use Google Talk, we may record information about your usage of
    Google Talk, such as when you use Google Talk, the size of your contact
    list and the contacts you communicate with, and the frequency and size
    of data transfers. Information displayed or clicked on in the Google
    Talk interface (including UI elements, settings, and other information)
    is also recorded."
    Jeremy, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill <> writes:
    > News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
    >
    > - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
    >
    > Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
    >
    > see http://www.google.com/talk/

    It looks like it isn't SIP at all, but some proprietary google-only
    protocol. I don't think we can call their users from our sip phones.

    Google is claiming that they will eventually offer some
    interoperability with other providers, but it isn't clear if this
    means they are going to field a protocol converter / gateway or of
    they are going to abandon their homegrown protocol and move on to a
    standards-based client.

    Or in google's own words:

    Your search - domain:google.com "google talk" sip - did not match
    any documents.

    -wolfgang
    Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    This really is interesting. It will be fun to see how they manage this
    with other projects. I'll be keeping with SunRocket but would
    definitely like to see how this works.
    , Aug 24, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    Dmitri Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > News from PC Magazine: Google Talk Tackles Chat, VoIP
    > - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851348,00.asp
    > Anyone find more info on the new Gmail and Google Talk offerings?
    > see http://www.google.com/talk/

    Check out what Google-crazy SEO crowd in alt.internet.search-engines
    thinks about it:

    http://www.1-script.com/forums/Google-Talk--whats-next-article12227-1.htm

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD